PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Flight Of Passage Ride Restrictions

DaveMoTX
05-15-2017, 09:27 AM
I have read some early reviews about the Avatar Flight Of Passage ride that are saying some guests are being turned away due to the ride restraints not fitting. Is this true?

Apparently there are multiple restraints and while some people have had no issues with "upper" belts, some are saying the leg restraints aren't fitting...and the other way around.

Also hearing there is no "test" seat available before getting in line for the ride. It would be awful to wait hours in line just to be denied boarding.

Anyone else know about this?

DisneyVampire
05-15-2017, 09:29 AM
This is all true. I've had several friends be turned away due to the leg restrains. Not the body ones.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

ransam
05-15-2017, 01:29 PM
What do u mean leg restraints not fitting? People are too short?

TIGGER17179
05-15-2017, 01:41 PM
WOW--- really

williamabutler
05-15-2017, 02:58 PM
It seems most people aren't having an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cer
05-15-2017, 03:38 PM
I understand that there are no test seats available YET, but there will be test seats in the future.

j2k
05-15-2017, 05:03 PM
What do u mean leg restraints not fitting? People are too short?

I'm trying to understand as well. What is the reasoning for not fitting?

BrerGnat
05-15-2017, 05:51 PM
I'm trying to understand as well. What is the reasoning for not fitting?
The seat is like a motorcycle. There is a compartment for your lower legs that has sides. Your legs need to be able to go all the way forward so that the restraint can lock. Some people have reported that the leg opening is not very large so people with larger calves may have an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kathleen.talamantes.7
05-15-2017, 05:55 PM
Do you know about how small the opening is?

buzznwoodysmom
05-15-2017, 06:51 PM
Interesting. Some reports I have read seemed to indicate that extremely tall guests were having trouble fitting correctly. I have no idea what the ride vehicle is like or what the restraints are. Just read that due to height some guests didn't properly fit.

Ed
05-15-2017, 09:07 PM
I rode on Friday. The leg "compartments" I would estimate as being about 8" wide. Once you are seated all the way forward, restraint pads press against your calves, and another pad rises behind you and presses against the small of your back. I can see how anyone with very large calves would have problems. It may be that the leg restraints do not properly lock if the pad is unable to reach a certain point and may even auto-reverse if it meets too much resistance.

Mickeymousemom
05-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Some people are having trouble with calf size. It seems that some people with calves larger than 18 inches are having issues. The problem is that several factors can be involved. If your height is such that the thickest part of your calves are right where the restraints are, then that can be a problem. Some are saying to put your feet on tiptoes as that raises your calf higher so the restraints are at a thinner part of the calf. It really depends on several factors from what I've seen in different groups.

jonsmom
05-17-2017, 07:37 AM
I rode on Friday. The leg "compartments" I would estimate as being about 8" wide. Once you are seated all the way forward, restraint pads press against your calves, and another pad rises behind you and presses against the small of your back. I can see how anyone with very large calves would have problems. It may be that the leg restraints do not properly lock if the pad is unable to reach a certain point and may even auto-reverse if it meets too much resistance.

Ed - what type of ride is this? Is it like Soarin? I like Soarin but don't do well on the Star Wars ride.

1DisneyNut
05-17-2017, 09:13 AM
Ed - what type of ride is this? Is it like Soarin? I like Soarin but don't do well on the Star Wars ride.

I am wondering the same thing. Soarin is great but the Star Wars simulator makes me feel weird and I get motion sickness leading to a migraine. I can't do the boxed in simulator rides; every one I have done made me sick.

j2k
05-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Thanks for clarifying :thumbsup:

JanetMegan
05-17-2017, 09:33 AM
I too am interested in the ride. Like others have posted I love Soarin but Star Tours makes me violently ill, hopefully I'll be able to ride.

#1donaldfan
05-17-2017, 12:11 PM
... this ride sound too fun !!! I can't wait !!

kathleen.talamantes.7
05-17-2017, 12:37 PM
My daughter has calves that measure 18 inches wii she fit

G8RFAN
05-17-2017, 01:30 PM
There's a great POV video on YouTube of the ride and other videos of the pre-ride intro and images of the seating that gives you an idea of potential fitting challenges.

Ed
05-17-2017, 07:16 PM

I am wondering the same thing. Soarin is great but the Star Wars simulator makes me feel weird and I get motion sickness leading to a migraine. I can't do the boxed in simulator rides; every one I have done made me sick.

I too am interested in the ride. Like others have posted I love Soarin but Star Tours makes me violently ill, hopefully I'll be able to ride.

You sit on a motorcycle-like device, facing a very large 3D screen. When the movie starts, you get the sensation of flying through Pandora atop a "banshee". The device you are sitting on does not actually move from its original position, but it does twist and turn and imitate rapid airplane maneuvers, similar to Star Tours. Those movements, combined with the 3D movie, gives you the sensation of rapid flight like you might experience in a military fighter jet. All that said, I personally found it to be smoother than Star Tours and more exciting than Soarin'.

jonsmom
05-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Thanks! Not sure if I should skip this or not :blush:

BrerGnat
05-18-2017, 12:32 AM
Thanks! Not sure if I should skip this or not :blush:
I watched a POV video online. There was a LOT of screaming going on. It seems to be a fairly thrilling ride.

Ed
05-18-2017, 07:30 AM
The problem of people being unable to ride was the subject of a story on local TV (WKMG channel 6) last night. They said that WDW will be adding a "test vehicle" at the beginning of the queue so people can make sure they will be able to ride.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/some-unable-to-meet-restrictions-for-new-avatar-themed-disney-ride

jonsmom
05-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Thanks for all the info Ed.

texas211
05-20-2017, 07:29 PM
Well, it looks like tron vehicles which were for a much smaller demographic.. Hmm, which is a sore subject since I wish we had tron, though I don't think I can fit the bikes. Still looks cool.

jonsmom
05-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Can anyone tell me how long this ride lasts. I am a little nervous about it being a motion type ride and am nervous to be on it for too long.

Disney4us2
05-21-2017, 06:44 PM
I watched a POV video online. There was a LOT of screaming going on. It seems to be a fairly thrilling ride.

When I rode it some were screaming. It is thrilling. Most of the screaming was during drops (actual drop is no more than 4 feet), I closed my eyes on the drops. It's the 3D illusion of dropping that some were screaming at.

It is very smooth and not jerky like Star Tours. I have back problems and the seat back that holds you in really felt good on my back. I was hesitant at first as I can be a ride wimp, but I really loved this. To me Soarin' is scarier because of the height. Just to add , I'm not tiny and had no problem with the seat.

Disney4us2
05-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Can anyone tell me how long this ride lasts. I am a little nervous about it being a motion type ride and am nervous to be on it for too long.

It's about 5 minutes, give or take. Around the same time frame as Soarin'.

jonsmom
05-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Thank you!

kathleen.talamantes.7
05-21-2017, 08:52 PM
When I rode it some were screaming. It is thrilling. Most of the screaming was during drops (actual drop is no more than 4 feet), I closed my eyes on the drops. It's the 3D illusion of dropping that some were screaming at.

It is very smooth and not jerky like Star Tours. I have back problems and the seat back that holds you in really felt good on my back. I was hesitant at first as I can be a ride wimp, but I really loved this. To me Soarin' is scarier because of the height. Just to add , I'm not tiny and had no problem with the seat.

So my daughter at 265. Is she going to be able to ride?

Disney4us2
05-21-2017, 09:20 PM
So my daughter at 265. Is she going to be able to ride?

I'm apple shaped, 5'6 , 228# and had no problem. The f'arther forward you move up the better. The girl next to me wasn't as big and she had to have extra time to get set in. It's like you are on a motorcycle, leaning forward. I don't know if your daughter will be able to ride or not. That's the call of the CM. I hope she will be able to ride.

AgentC
05-22-2017, 11:13 AM
I think it is hard to tell if you will fit until they get the test seats out there or until you actually try. I'm 5'8", have 17 inch calves, and wear a size 10-11 shoe. I had plenty of room for my legs but I can definitely see an issue if you are not flexible enough to get your foot all the way to the front. My friend's son is 6' 3" and 280. He did not fit but I also saw a man who wasn't very big struggling because he couldn't get one foot in far enough. They ended up having him take off his shoes.

As far as motion sickness, Star Tours can make me sick but I'm good with Soarin' I took a ginger pill before I rode just to be safe and was absolutely fine. The second time I rode right after I ate and felt a very small bit queasy but really had no problems. I highly recommend taking something before you ride it if you think you might get sick and trying it out. It is a great ride.

Cinderelley
05-22-2017, 02:22 PM
This is rather disappointing news. My oldest son's gf is a pretty large girl. We had problems at Universal due to her size. They handled it poorly and she left crying. That night I promised there wouldn't be any issues like that at Disney. There wasn't for that trip, but I don't want her to go through that again, especially at Disney where she wouldn't be expecting it.

kathleen.talamantes.7
05-22-2017, 02:33 PM
I understand they are keeping track of those unable to ride. Maybe larger seats if there's too many?

deedee73
05-22-2017, 10:56 PM
I think it is hard to tell if you will fit until they get the test seats out there or until you actually try. I'm 5'8", have 17 inch calves, and wear a size 10-11 shoe. I had plenty of room for my legs but I can definitely see an issue if you are not flexible enough to get your foot all the way to the front. My friend's son is 6' 3" and 280. He did not fit but I also saw a man who wasn't very big struggling because he couldn't get one foot in far enough. They ended up having him take off his shoes.

As far as motion sickness, Star Tours can make me sick but I'm good with Soarin' I took a ginger pill before I rode just to be safe and was absolutely fine. The second time I rode right after I ate and felt a very small bit queasy but really had no problems. I highly recommend taking something before you ride it if you think you might get sick and trying it out. It is a great ride.
I am intrigued - what is a ginger pill? I love fresh ginger but have never heard of a ginger pill.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jonsmom
05-23-2017, 06:59 AM
I am intrigued - what is a ginger pill? I love fresh ginger but have never heard of a ginger pill.

I have heard of ginger pills. They are good for motion sickness as well as peppermint. I think you can get them in a vitamin section of a drugstore. I will have to check it out as well.

AgentC
05-23-2017, 01:48 PM
Ginger pills are problem a "your mileage may vary" type of item. Ginger is considered a natural remedy for motion sickness. I bought the Dramamine version which was right next to the regular Dramamine. There are other brands. Regular Dramanine can cause drowsiness and I don't want to be drowsy at a theme park. :) I get sea sick as well as motion sick if I'm in the back seat of a car. Star Tours can big me depending on which scenario I get. The ginger works well for me.

deedee73
05-23-2017, 02:31 PM
Thanks AgentC - I use fresh ginger for migraines but had never heard of a pill version. I definitely will look into this as I get car sick and circular rides get me (tea cups, etc) so maybe these would help.

TheVBs
05-24-2017, 12:24 PM
I get motion sick too. I would love to try this, but I would absolutely take a Bonine first.

Ed
05-25-2017, 10:59 AM
The problem of people being unable to ride was the subject of a story on local TV (WKMG channel 6) last night. They said that WDW will be adding a "test vehicle" at the beginning of the queue so people can make sure they will be able to ride.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/some-unable-to-meet-restrictions-for-new-avatar-themed-disney-ride

A "test vehicle" has now been placed outside the ride for guests to determine whether they will fir or not.

Cinderelley
05-25-2017, 03:26 PM
I'm not sure how the test vehicle makes things better. No matter where you do it, you are essentially telling someone they don't fit the right body image.
On a side note, since I don't know if I will be able to ride this ride or not due to my muscle condition, it will be a nice photo op if I can't ride it.

lindique
05-25-2017, 05:55 PM
I read that the test vehicle is there so people will not have to wait 2 hours on line just to find out that they won't be able to ride.

Ed
05-26-2017, 08:31 AM
I read that the test vehicle is there so people will not have to wait 2 hours on line just to find out that they won't be able to ride.

That's exactly why it's there. The queue for the ride is exceptionally long.

ransam
05-26-2017, 04:26 PM
wow. that looks incredibly uncomfortable.

lindique
05-26-2017, 04:42 PM
wow. that looks incredibly uncomfortable.
That's what I thought too - it doesn't exactly remind me of a rocking chair!! :mickey:

joanna71985
05-26-2017, 08:26 PM
I rode twice today. While the ride is incredible, the seat is VERY uncomfortable!

magicofdisney
05-27-2017, 08:27 AM
I rode twice today. While the ride is incredible, the seat is VERY uncomfortable!
I got to ride Friday as well because of their soft opening! The seat was not uncomfortable for me, but I can see how it could be, generally speaking. I'm just not sure there's another way to realistically experience riding on the back of a banshee. I thought the "breathing ribs" between the legs was a nice touch.

joanna71985
05-28-2017, 07:21 PM
I got to ride Friday as well because of their soft opening! The seat was not uncomfortable for me, but I can see how it could be, generally speaking. I'm just not sure there's another way to realistically experience riding on the back of a banshee. I thought the "breathing ribs" between the legs was a nice touch.

Oh no, I agree. And I would deal with that seat to go on the ride (it's definitely in my Top 5 favorites)

texas211
05-29-2017, 09:53 AM
That's exactly why it's there. The queue for the ride is exceptionally long.

You don't have to wait, you don't have to hold up the ride and do the walk of shame if you don't fit. Been there, done that at Universal's Minions. So I love the ride vehicle check. I like WDW because it is generally not needed, but as they increase more sensitive rides, I'm glad they do.