PDA

View Full Version : I feel completely lost - so much has changed

mom2morgan
05-09-2017, 09:11 AM
My last Disney trip was in 2012. We are going back next May. BUT - it feels like everything has changed so much that I'm completely overwhelmed and don't even know where to start (and I don't mean my shock of coming here and finding my beloved boards were all different ...but that didn't help, LOL ;-). We are planning to stay at Riverside. What can you tell me about big changes in the past 5 years that I will need to take into account? I guess you'll have to treat me like a total newbie at this point ;-)

mandaep
05-09-2017, 10:05 AM
I was overwhelmed with the fast pass system at first but I feel like it has gotten better over time and easier to use. I would suggest playing around with the app and getting acquainted with it, so that way when you go to look up things in the park you'll have it down. Other than that, not too much has changed really? As for new fantasyland it is manageable, it's not that big of a change... I would just plan out which days you want to do which parks and get those FP's that are hardest to get first thing on the first day you can.

faline
05-09-2017, 10:43 AM
Deep breath!! The good news - you've been to Disney before so you know the general layout, generally what rides are there and where they are, and basically how things work.

Plan as you always have in the past. When you come across something that has changed - do what you have in the past - research. Read Intercot's boards for the latest news and information and ask any questions you need answers to about specific things that have changed.

The fastpass system is different so you need to plan a little bit differently to take that into account. Instead of getting fasspasses as you go once you arrive at the park(s), you select up to three fastpasses ahead of your arrival (All are required to be at the same park on any given day). (Keep in mind, you will need to have already purchased your tickets and have those tickets linked to your Disney account in order to book your fastpasses). Also, some parks have fastpass tiers so you can only book one fastpass in tier one and need to select the other fastpasses from the other tier. This means your strategy needs to include which ride is most important to you and which you are willing to stand in line for (or use single rider line if available for). After you arrive at the park, and use up your first three fastpasses, or the time for them elapses, fastpass works pretty much the way it used to except you use your smartphone and account to book any additional fastpasses as you go.

Dining plans and dining options have changed so you may want to do some research on the current rules for dining plans (if you use them) and you may also want to review the list of restaurants - many new restaurants have opened since your last visit - particularly in Disney Springs (former Downtown Disney).

Genie1953
05-09-2017, 12:32 PM
The fast passes were the hardest thing to get used to. I had been used to making a mad dash to get them but now that is all done ahead of time. So convenient!

mom2morgan
05-09-2017, 10:01 PM
Okay, I've got this. Now that I'm back on the boards it doesn't look so scary anymore ;-) Now I can just have fun doing the planning. Still not sure I like the fastpass stuff, but I guess it has some advantages.

MNNHFLTX
05-13-2017, 02:31 PM
I just wanted to add :welcome: back. The boards may look a bit different, but still the same helpful people on it. :)

#1donaldfan
05-17-2017, 12:40 PM
.. yea, enjoy the planning and enjoy Riverside !! Don't forget the FQ, it's so nice over there and if eating the food courts, it's a nice little change of menu selections.

mrte62
05-28-2017, 09:23 PM
The good news is you are still 11 months out - lots of time for deep breaths and planning. IMHO the biggest game changers (and by far) are FP+ and the Disney App. There are several theories about how to use fast passes (early in the day, late in the day, first park , second park of the day). The Disney App levels in the informational playing field.....

We find it takes more planning than we would like, but necessary none the less.

j2k
05-31-2017, 09:50 AM
I was overwhelmed with the changes too but we just returned from our trip last week and I have to say that it was so easy. You'll be just fine. :)