PDA

View Full Version : Pandora: is it just me?

BrerGnat
03-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Or does anyone else "have a bad feeling" about this land?

I don't know why, but I feel like Disney knows this land is going to flop...hard.

Maybe it's because they chose poorly when they made this deal with James Cameron. Maybe they expected all these supposed sequels to have been released already and there would be a LOT of interest at this point when, in reality, there just isn't.

We have been inundated with promotional material for this land and it's like they are trying so hard to hype it up and convince everyone how "spectacular" it is. I don't know...it has been like, what, 7 years since they announced this and all I've seen are some rocks and plants. Hardly mind blowing stuff (when you compare it to something like Diagon Alley). It looks like the rest of AK. Waterfalls, plants (ooh...some are plastic and glow in the dark...big whoop), rocks. Yawn.

And honestly, who really has been "dying" to ride a banshee over the same landscape? Or ride a river boat through the same landscape again. It just seems so one dimensional.

I am usually super excited about new Disney parks stuff but there is literally nothing about this land that makes me care enough to even go see it. I might never bother, to be honest.

I feel like Disney knows this will be a hard sell and that is why they are doing SO much press for it. They are even airing commercials here in CA to visit WDW for Pandora this summer. That's crazy.

In contrast, at least they are building Star Wars lands too. Those will be a massive hit, no press needed. They will have to beat the hoards away with a stick...or resort to timed ticket entry, at the very least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

DizneyFreak2002
03-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Just you... kidding....

This land is going to be great... beautiful... theme of attraction doesn't matter, as long as the attraction is awesome.. i still think the boat ride will be the crown jewel...

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

buzznwoodysmom
03-15-2017, 04:05 PM
My family has zero interest in this new land, to be completely honest. Will we check it out on our next trip? Absolutely. But we are hardly excited about it and surely wouldn't plan a trip centered around the new land. Never been a fan of the avatar movie to begin with and was never excited about the land, even when first announced. I actually still wonder what they were thinking. I guess I just never "got it".

For me a big problem is how long Disney takes to create these new areas in the parks. And then after it taking so long to complete I often find myself feeling let down by the final product. Even new things that I am initially excited about, it seems I loose interest before its open to guests. My family feels the same.

Now, when Star Wars land opens we will be the first in line booking a trip to go. I just hope we can maintain interest and excitement for that long! Lol. I know my hubby and son will.

VWL Mom
03-15-2017, 04:13 PM
I dlm't think you alone Natalie. I was asking my boys about FP+ for our next trip and they said to stay with the usual. They have zero interest in the new rides/land probably because they're not fans of the movie.

BrerGnat
03-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Just you... kidding....

This land is going to be great... beautiful... theme of attraction doesn't matter, as long as the attraction is awesome.. i still think the boat ride will be the crown jewel...

I don't know...I think people have higher standards now for theme park lands and attractions. And less of a tolerance for mediocrity.

And the theme surely does matter, especially when you use an IP that lacks broad family appeal in a family theme park like Animal Kingdom. Without an understanding of what you are experiencing, it's hard to enjoy a ride. Splash Mountain seems to be the perpetual example of "no one saw the movie but the ride is hugely popular." There are two issues with this line of argument. 1. Splash Mountain uses animatronic characters and colorful backgrounds to mimic the look and feel of their classic animated movies so it will automatically appeal to kids. 2. Splash took a popular ride style (log flume) and plussed it up Disney style and put it in where there previously weren't any rides like it. Thus, it was destined for long term success.

As I see it, Pandora will have a boat ride for all ages just like the many similar boat rides all over WDW property. What will make this one stand above the rest? What will draw kids to seniors to enjoy it, not having seen the movie? The banshee ride, same thing. It's going to be a variation on Soarin' with a slightly different seating position. But then you fly around Pandora...again, if you didn't see the movie, what would make this interesting? I saw half the movie and gave up because I was bored to tears. I certainly won't wait in line for either of these rides. Glowing plants don't impress me...sorry.

BrowncatP
03-15-2017, 05:12 PM
I think it looks BEAUTIFUL! I think you don't need a movie tie-in to have a good attraction.

Zippy 1
03-15-2017, 05:28 PM
I feel that if you are going to spend that much time and money on a new land it should have more than a 2 major things to do in it. I know it is beautiful but what will keep people in it for more than an hour or two.

VacationDisney
03-15-2017, 06:03 PM
We can't wait for our upcoming trip to see Pandora:cloud9:

DizneyFreak2002
03-15-2017, 06:22 PM
We can't wait for our upcoming trip to see Pandora:cloud9:
I don't have plans yet but I'm trying to make them for the week Pandora opens just to see the land.... I really think this is going to be spectacular, moreso than Toy Story Playland which has had so much theme cut from it, it will look silly....

BrerGnat
03-15-2017, 06:36 PM
I think it looks BEAUTIFUL! I think you don't need a movie tie-in to have a good attraction.
I agree that you don't NEED a movie tie in. I really wish they had just made the mythical land they had proposed all along (dragons and unicorns and such). That would have been amazing because they could draw from their extensive library of creatures and created a land centered around them.

My issue is using a movie of questionable broad appeal and staying power to base an entire land around. I think Avatar was a foolish choice here.

BrerGnat
03-15-2017, 06:37 PM
I feel that if you are going to spend that much time and money on a new land it should have more than a 2 major things to do in it. I know it is beautiful but what will keep people in it for more than an hour or two.
Not to mention the retail opportunities. I bet those banshee and Navi plush just sit and gather dust on the shelves. Give it a year until it's a shop selling generic Disney merchandise like all the rest.

WDW-Geek
03-16-2017, 09:10 AM
Not just you. Even on a TEN HOUR flight, neither DW nor I could make it through that terrible movie. There is zero interest in Avatar in my family and we were shocked when the construction was announced. Even after seeing the promotional information -- meh. I guess our biggest hope is it attracts some of the crowds away from the good stuff. :mickey:

disney obsessed
03-16-2017, 09:44 AM
My family thought the movie was magical and immediatly said it would be a great thing for disney to do!!!
Soarin is one of the most popular rides in the world and I will love another version of it!! What I do not understand is the obsession with frozen.....and i have three girls. Rode it once and do not care if i ever do again. Leaves more space for those who love it! Hope those who do not like pandora will show us the same courtosy and the crowds will not be crazy. But I doubt it.....everyone wants to see what is new at disney.

Dulcee
03-16-2017, 09:46 AM
We are SO excited for Pandora. I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, didn't hate it or love it. DH loved it. Personally I really like the mythical side and love pairing it with the conservation message. I"m far more excited for this then star wars.

I also have a friend in the disney company who has walked through the land and said its truly spectacular.

1DisneyNut
03-16-2017, 10:34 AM
We couldn't care less about the movie. We have tried several times to watch it but completely lose interest and stop watching. However, I don't really care what the them is as long as the attractions/rides are good. I am looking forward to seeing the boat ride even though I hate the movie.

PopPhan
03-16-2017, 11:25 AM
I am not getting all the "Debbie Downers" on this....You haven't even given it a shot and you are trashing it...or at least saying that you are disappointed or not thrilled with it.

As far as comparisons with the movie...I give up! This is the land of the Na'vi, the indigenous humanoids on the planet who actually care about their ecosystem and meld with it. Forget about the mining outfit and the "war" from the movie. Enjoy the "moon" Pandora for what it is...The plant life, the animals, the colors, the spectacle, the connection between its people and the ecosystem. This is EXACTLY what Animal Kingdom is all about.

As far as number of attractions/rides...Dinoland has what? One? Africa? Two - Kilimanjaro Safaris and Lion King. Asia? Three - Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids and Finding Nemo. Camp Minnie-Mickey prior to Pandora? Pocohantas and Lion King. One closed years ago, the other moved to Africa (where it belongs)

Sorry, not buying the complaints. Off my soapbox now. :soapbox:

baldburke
03-16-2017, 12:45 PM
The second Avatar movie is slated to drop in 2018. The original Avatar does seem like a bit of a distant memory in light of the recent success of Disney's Marvel and Star Wars movies. However knowing James Cameron, my guess is that it will be another $1B+ epic. In my mind that's almost perfecting timing for the launch of Pandora. Lots of cross-promotional opportunities here. I bet those kids who aren't interested in Avatar because it was "a little before their time" will be asking to go to AK next year.

BrerGnat
03-16-2017, 12:52 PM
The second Avatar movie is slated to drop in 2018. The original Avatar does seem like a bit of a distant memory in light of the recent success of Disney's Marvel and Star Wars movies. However knowing James Cameron, my guess is that it will be another $1B+ epic. In my mind that's almost perfecting timing for the launch of Pandora. Lots of cross-promotional opportunities here. I bet those kids who aren't interested in Avatar because it was "a little before their time" will be asking to go to AK next year.
James Cameron JUST said (like a week ago) that the sequels are delayed again. It will NOT be 2018.

Biggeek
03-16-2017, 01:45 PM
My wife and I are split.. just as we were on the movie.
I enjoyed the movie and she absolutely hated it.. same split for the Land. She doesn't think it even fits with Animal Kingdom, and I think It's a perfect fit.. needless to say we disagree.

But think Globally.. this is the largest grossing movie of all time. Lots of people will want to go see the floating rocks and ride a banshee. I think it may even draw in crowds that formerly didn't have much interest in AK. No, it isn't for everyone but those Sci-Fi fans will probably think it's pretty interesting.. at least a couple times.

That said I don't see it drawing massive crowds just to see it, and I think that some management would probably (secretly) wish they hadn't entered with Cameron.. He is supposed to be a major PITA to work with/for.. but he is very controlling and protective of his visions, which I respect even if not everyone has the same vision.

WDW-Geek
03-16-2017, 03:33 PM
I am not getting all the "Debbie Downers" on this....You haven't even given it a shot and you are trashing it...or at least saying that you are disappointed or not thrilled with it.

You made me reflect and reconsider my thoughts on the subject.

I'm almost 40, but I love Peter Pan's flight. Why? I mean, come on, it's an old-fashioned, slow-moving, kinda boring dark ride. *ducks and dodges rotten tomatoes* BUT I enjoy the ride because of the nostalgia, and remembering how I felt as a kid when I first saw the Peter Pan movie. There is a strong emotional connection.

Then I thought, on the other hand, I love Splash Mountain, but how many of us (even the older among us) have seen Song of the South? I didn't see it until just a few years ago, and mostly out of curiosity about the controversy surrounding it. Then I thought about the many, many attractions that are NOT based off movies at all.

Okay, so I didn't like the movie, but it's not fair to prejudge what is being constructed in AK. It might be awesome. (It might not be.) But instead of my original plan of avoidance, instead I'll go and see it and keep an open mind instead of being a Debbie Downer. :mickey:

j2k
03-16-2017, 05:03 PM
I think it's going to be a beautiful place. I think it will wow people. Maybe not everyone but lots of people. I'm hoping to get in for a soft opening, at least walk through, the week before.

My daughter is 10. She's never seen the movie. She sees the promotion of the new land and is excited about it. She's really hoping we can get into a soft opening.

My family is not into Star Wars so we are not anticipating that area. This is not as anticipated by many as Star Wars Land, but it will draw people to AK.

#1donaldfan
03-16-2017, 07:08 PM
I liked the movie and cannot wait to see what Disney has done with it in real life. The more who don't like it will make it less crowded for me !!!!

thejens
03-16-2017, 11:13 PM
I liked the movie okay, and certainly the environmental message, but was also puzzled by the big investment in a whole new Pandora land. But as I hear more about the land and its attractions I am more excited. I find AK a slower, smell the flowers, listen to the animal sounds, tune in to nature park and it seems that Pandora adds the imaginary element. Mickie and Minnie in safari gear are cute, but don't really go with the park so much. I think that Star Wars land will attract the movie theme crowd and sell more merchandise, but I like the idea that AK is offering something more value oriented. Pandora may be the vision we hold onto as our barrier reefs die, air becomes polluted and clean water is sold to us in a bottle.

LVT
03-17-2017, 01:07 AM
I liked the movie. Pandora looks promising. I think it fits AK, especially as I think of the Tree of Life carvings. I go to AK a few times on each Florida trip, I find it beautiful.

Jeff
03-17-2017, 07:35 AM
My family, two fifty somethings, two mid-twenties, one infant, all have zero interest in Pandora Land!
Perhaps I'm a bit hasty speaking for the 9 month old baby; maybe she will love it!:confused:

Pat Ryan
03-17-2017, 08:27 AM
My family definitely interested in it... although it sounds like it'd be a much cooler nighttime attraction, but AK is closed after dark.

PopPhan
03-17-2017, 08:29 AM
My family definitely interested in it... although it sounds like it'd be a much cooler nighttime attraction, but AK is closed after dark.

That is part of what this expansion is all about -- to make AK a full day, and evening, park. With Pandora, Rivers of Light, and the light show on the Tree of Life (I do not recall what that is called) AK will have 'after dark' hours.

dnickels
03-17-2017, 09:28 AM
I haven't seen the movie so I have no particular attachment to the concept one way or the other but acquaintances who have been back there say it is going to be stunning.

I don't think this is going to be something where they open it and no one shows up. I think that first day will be a cars backed up a half mile on Osceola Pkwy, 200+ minute wait times for the two main attractions type of day. And while it won't stay that bad, I think it will be enough of an attraction that the wait times will still be consistently 60+ minutes 6 months from now. Let's face it, Disney has added a lot more character meet and greets than rides in the past years, so Disney fans are starved for new rides.

cer
03-17-2017, 12:22 PM
Or does anyone else "have a bad feeling" about this land?

I don't know why, but I feel like Disney knows this land is going to flop...hard.

Maybe it's because they chose poorly when they made this deal with James Cameron. Maybe they expected all these supposed sequels to have been released already and there would be a LOT of interest at this point when, in reality, there just isn't.

We have been inundated with promotional material for this land and it's like they are trying so hard to hype it up and convince everyone how "spectacular" it is. I don't know...it has been like, what, 7 years since they announced this and all I've seen are some rocks and plants. Hardly mind blowing stuff (when you compare it to something like Diagon Alley). It looks like the rest of AK. Waterfalls, plants (ooh...some are plastic and glow in the dark...big whoop), rocks. Yawn.

And honestly, who really has been "dying" to ride a banshee over the same landscape? Or ride a river boat through the same landscape again. It just seems so one dimensional.

I am usually super excited about new Disney parks stuff but there is literally nothing about this land that makes me care enough to even go see it. I might never bother, to be honest.

I feel like Disney knows this will be a hard sell and that is why they are doing SO much press for it. They are even airing commercials here in CA to visit WDW for Pandora this summer. That's crazy.

In contrast, at least they are building Star Wars lands too. Those will be a massive hit, no press needed. They will have to beat the hoards away with a stick...or resort to timed ticket entry, at the very least.

Natalie,

I'm 'ok' with this land, but not interested in the movie on which it is based. I agree with you that James Cameron's slowness to deliver anything new in the way of sequels has not helped Disney at all. It's strange to me to think that the reason I need (not want) to see the movie is because of the land that Disney has developed and even then, I have not been motivated enough to see the thing! (personal preference, I suppose)

I believe it will be beautiful and successful because it has been soooo long in coming and the masses are simply starving. I also believe that Joe Rohde is brilliant and his involvement will make it all good - I hope.

What I am really concerned about is the Guardians of the Galaxy coming soon to a park near you! I think THAT is horrible and I have no interest in seeing Marvel in any existing park except possibly DHS. It just does not make sense to me.

All opinions are my own...even the unpopular ones.

DNS
03-17-2017, 12:33 PM
We have no interest in it. But on the plus side, if you start out with no interest, your opinion can only go up, not down. :mickey:

sacandjac
03-17-2017, 03:06 PM
We can't wait to see Pandora in December!

mrte62
03-18-2017, 06:06 PM
We are looking forward to seeing something new .... seems like an awful lot of money being spent to basically attempt to make AK an all day park .... and the red flag goes up when as much time and energy is spent marketing the shopping and eating as the attractions .....

Daisy'sMom
03-19-2017, 09:43 AM
I never watched Avatar, have zero interest. I'm not that excited to see Pandora. I'd think I'd rather watch paint dry.

texas211
03-19-2017, 08:04 PM
I don't know...I think people have higher standards now for theme park lands and attractions. And less of a tolerance for mediocrity.

And the theme surely does matter, especially when you use an IP that lacks broad family appeal in a family theme park like Animal Kingdom. Without an understanding of what you are experiencing, it's hard to enjoy a ride. Splash Mountain seems to be the perpetual example of "no one saw the movie but the ride is hugely popular."

Yeah, I tend to agree. I think you can have the "no movie" for a ride, and it be successful. SM, BTMRR, RnR to name a few. But, not for a whole land. But that is on par for AK. Take the horrid Dino Land..

I only hope it draws enough of the crowd as I can better navigate the rest of the park.

ransam
03-21-2017, 01:05 PM
I have to say, i think it looks horrible..very blah,,,and I think everyone should stay away,,that way when my family sees it it won't be crowded. lol truth be told i thought the movie was just ok, but from what i've seen of this land I am blown away. It looks beautiful! We lucked out and already had our trip planned for that weekend. I can't wait.

busterthebronco
03-21-2017, 01:14 PM
the sequels better be good or it might flop

TIGGER17179
03-21-2017, 05:26 PM
I'll go once but that will be it. It's not like Star Wars which I can't wait for! Movie was okay but not good enough to have a whole land for it IMO.

Speedy1998
03-22-2017, 12:57 PM
We have been inundated with promotional material for this land and it's like they are trying so hard to hype it up and convince everyone how "spectacular" it is.

I am not sure being inundated with promotional material means it is going to flop.

Over the years I remember several things in Disney Parks where we got inundated with promotional stuff (even going so far as having prime time family shows taking place in Disney around that new attraction or event). Some were flops, others were huge hits. Even a lot of the flops turned out to be hits in the long run as Disney fixed the initial problems. (Other flops quietly faded into history).

As far as Disney picking the world of Avatar, remember that regardless of your personnel feelings for the movie (I hated it), it was one of the top grossing films of all time. Which tells me there are a lot of fans who will be thrilled that Disney is building this land.

WiltonJohn
03-30-2017, 10:23 PM
It wasn't an unsuccessful movie. Plenty of people liked it worldwide (and WDW is an international venue).

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Oscars/avatar-titanic-reasons-mega-movie-hits/story?id=9628723

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(2009_film)

And they are planning more Avatar related movies (plural). So maybe the PARK opening is part of the marketing for the coming sequel movies... instead of the other way around.

REALLY looking forward to it in October.

best,

................john

disneynarula
04-01-2017, 10:24 AM
I haven't seen the movie. I still think the attractions look pretty awesome and am looking forward to it.

Fusillejerry
04-01-2017, 02:52 PM
I saw the movie (enjoyable, but not memorable) and I'm looking forward to seeing Pandora in summer 2018. Even if you haven't seen the movie it looks like it's going to be beautiful and the attractions have potential.

WDWPrincess
04-03-2017, 02:39 AM
I have one question: What budget did Imagineering have for the Pandora boat ride?

If you want to have your mind blown, go to Youtube and watch an on-ride video of Shanghai Disneyland's "Pirates of the Caribbean" which opened last year. That is what Imagineering can do with a good budget.

If Pandora can accomplish even half of what was done in Shanghai, it will be impressive.

Goofy4TheWorld
04-05-2017, 11:40 AM
Now, when Star Wars land opens we will be the first in line booking a trip to go. I just hope we can maintain interest and excitement for that long! Lol. I know my hubby and son will.

I think you are too late, a bus driver told me people have already started lining up for that one! There is a tent city over by the Victory Way construction.

baldburke
04-05-2017, 01:01 PM
I think you are too late, a bus driver told me people have already started lining up for that one! There is a tent city over by the Victory Way construction.

Really? I can't imagine Disney would allow squatters. That is unless they found a way to create a squatting package. There would have to be the standard package, the deluxe package and the super deluxe package that will only set you back one non-vital organ. (I kid)

cer
04-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Really? I can't imagine Disney would allow squatters. That is unless they found a way to create a squatting package. There would have to be the standard package, the deluxe package and the super deluxe package that will only set you back one non-vital organ. (I kid)

And with the Super Deluxe Squatter Package you will have the opportunity to purchase Limited Edition Super Deluxe Squatter Package Merchandise and Limited Edition Phonecases and Commemorative Pins! :blush:

I also heard there will be a new Dooney and Bourke pattern design released exclusively for the Squatter Package featuring Mickey Mouse dressed as Luke Skywalker sitting cross-legged near a pup tent with a port-a-potty nearby, Minnie is with him dressed as Leia, a light blanket around her shoulders with bags under her eyes and holding a Starbucks cup! Yay!

Ok, I am having too much fun with this...

GeorgeOfTheJungle
04-06-2017, 12:06 PM
I'm very excited for Pandora to open! I did enjoy 'Avatar'. Watch this space... Once the other movies are released in this series, Pandora is going to be a LOT more appealing to us all. James Cameron is a genius and I have no doubt in mind mind that as he releases the other films in this saga, we'll all be jumping on the Avatar-boat!

DisneyOtaku
04-06-2017, 12:51 PM
Haha, I just responded in another thread about this. I don't think the movie was good enough to justify this. I hope for the sake of Disney that it's just beautiful, to grab attention of guests who wouldn't visit the land otherwise.

ThanxForNoticin
04-06-2017, 01:14 PM
I know we are really looking forward to it - hoping it's spectacular. Just secured some fast passes for early June to go and check it out!

RBrooksC
04-10-2017, 09:22 AM
We have never seen the movie. Honestly, I really know nothing about the movie. I think Disney and Cameron made a good decision to set the time of the land many years after the events of any of the movies. This allows the area to stand on its own. Yes, it ties into a movie but then again Mr. Toad tied into a Disney short. How many people have EVER seen that short? I know I haven't but it was always my favorite dark ride. If everybody focuses on the movie that inspired the land, then that will always cloud everything about it. If this land was created with every detail but had no movie backing it, everybody would be overly excited about it. So, forget the movie and see the land and the attractions on its own merits.

Little Round Bale
04-11-2017, 08:45 AM
I am looking forward to Pandora... not crazy about the movie but love what Disney does with their lands. We are planning a trip to Disney world and AK and DS not high on our to do list... now planning to add a day to see what Pandora is about. Don't like Avitar?... thats ok.. .plenty of things to do at Disney. :mickey:

Imalismom
04-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Movie? There was a movie? All joking aside, I did not see the movie, nor do I ever wish to. I do have an annual pass holders fastpass booked, so that I can answer questions here on INTERCOT about the area/ride(s), but I have no pre-interest in seeing it.

donnine
04-12-2017, 05:06 PM

As far as comparisons with the movie...I give up! This is the land of the Na'vi, the indigenous humanoids on the planet who actually care about their ecosystem and meld with it. Forget about the mining outfit and the "war" from the movie. Enjoy the "moon" Pandora for what it is...The plant life, the animals, the colors, the spectacle, the connection between its people and the ecosystem. This is EXACTLY what Animal Kingdom is all about.

As far as number of attractions/rides...Dinoland has what? One? Africa? Two - Kilimanjaro Safaris and Lion King. Asia? Three - Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids and Finding Nemo. Camp Minnie-Mickey prior to Pandora? Pocohantas and Lion King. One closed years ago, the other moved to Africa (where it belongs)

Sorry, not buying the complaints. Off my soapbox now. :soapbox:

I agree. At least give it a try. It surely can't be worse than the revised "Journey into Imagination" or "Stitch":mad:

John
04-12-2017, 10:18 PM
We couldn't care less about the movie. We have tried several times to watch it but completely lose interest and stop watching. However, I don't really care what the them is as long as the attractions/rides are good. I am looking forward to seeing the boat ride even though I hate the movie.

My thoughts exactly.....

G8RFAN
04-13-2017, 12:35 PM
I thought the movie's story line was predictable and the social message stereotype was tolerable. However, it was to me one the the most visually remarkable movies I have ever seen. If they can duplicate the amazing digital imagery into an interactive reality, I would absolutely love it and I'm sure the kids would as well.

TikiLounger
04-26-2017, 12:06 PM
I agree that you don't NEED a movie tie in. I really wish they had just made the mythical land they had proposed all along (dragons and unicorns and such). That would have been amazing because they could draw from their extensive library of creatures and created a land centered around them.

My issue is using a movie of questionable broad appeal and staying power to base an entire land around. I think Avatar was a foolish choice here.

I agree. Avatar...a very foolish choice. :confused: In my opinion, a terrible movie, as well.

Just saying...

TikiLounger
04-26-2017, 12:12 PM
I will add that my love for Disney Imagineering surpasses my hatred of the movie, so we WILL be visiting Pandora this fall.

Terra
04-26-2017, 12:30 PM
I was never a fan of the movie in general.
Now from a purely aesthetic/Imagineering aspect I do want to see the land for it's beauty.
That said for the eco focus, I would have thought something much more "Disney-ish" like a Wall-E tie on would have been better.
For some reason when I think of educating on eco issues I think of Wall-E. Not Avatar.

So even though we are not going for the movie itself, my sons and I will still have fun exploring the new land.

Horizon One
04-26-2017, 06:18 PM
I am not a huge Avatar fan. The movie was groundbreaking at the time. It has been so long since the movie was out, so it is interesting that they chose this. However it is a good choice with tying into nature and the theme of the park.
I am sure Disney will make it really interesting and a great experience.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

forkliftdr
04-26-2017, 11:24 PM
I don't care for the Avatar idea. I am curious though and will check it out in September

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Mackflava99
04-28-2017, 10:42 AM
It was one of the most popular movies of all time, so I find it difficult to hear about so many people who have never seen it.
That said, I think it was a B+ , I am a Sci-fi buff and it did take me a little time to get into it. But it has alot of insights into society and if you give it a true chance it will grow on you. James Cameron has a story to tell, but not sure the movie did it the full justice.
Is it worthy of a Land in Walt Disney World? I am not sure. I guess I will give it a chance. Animal Kingdom needs some juice.
Only 2 rides ? Thats going to make it hectic.
Will they have Navi walking around? that would be very cool
1 restaurant? Again I see chaos.

We will see, I hope it works out, I really do, Because it can turn out to be very cool. I just hope it doesn't become the next DinoLand , which is still the most ill-placed section of any Disney park in my opinion.

CaptSmee
04-29-2017, 10:29 AM
I'm on the fence on this one. I have faith in Joe Rhode & James Cameron & I believe it is going to be unsurpassed at night and nothing else has been for disney yet in AK. Sunset Safari? Not impressive. River of Light? Reviews are mediocre. It appears that Pandora will dazzle at night to me, but I could be wrong

WiltonJohn
04-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Will they have Navi walking around? that would be very cool

I certainly hope so! Given their scale relative to humans..... difficult to do though. They make Chewbacca look small.

best,

...............john

BrerGnat
04-30-2017, 08:30 PM
I certainly hope so! Given their scale relative to humans..... difficult to do though. They make Chewbacca look small.

best,

...............john
That's what stilts are for.

DizneyFreak2002
05-01-2017, 07:07 PM

best,

...............john

Did you see the Na'vi AA in the boat ride attraction????

This land is going to be fantastic.... And the boat ride will be the crown jewel of it all....

azcavalier
05-03-2017, 09:33 AM
Gotta say, I'm looking forward to it. I thought the movie was pretty good. I mean, the plot was somewhat generic, and it was a little formulaic. But the visuals were stunning, and it looks like Disney has really outdone themselves with regards to the theme here in this new land.

Age old advice here, guys. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. Now, I don't subscribe to that advice regarding things that could ruin your life (drugs, cheating on your wife, bungie jumping, etc), but when we're talking about a new land at WDW? C'mon. Give it a chance.

Besides, in DizneyFreak2002 I trust. He says that it looks amazing, then I believe it looks amazing.

NewmanFamily6
05-06-2017, 06:04 PM
I have never been able to successfully watch the movie:sleepin: We will go see Pandora on our trip in December to what it is like and try the new rides though. Our family is a large group of Star Wars Nerds though and can not wait for the Star Wars section:trooper::ewok::yoda:

VWL Mom
05-06-2017, 06:12 PM
Our family is a large group of Star Wars Nerds though and can not wait for the Star Wars section:trooper::ewok::yoda:
My boys (including DH) are chomping at the bit for that!

texas211
05-06-2017, 06:50 PM
So far with what I've seen online, we have no interest. I only hope it pulls crowds from things we do enjoy, but somehow we doubt it. I think something that exotic, alien, foreign, does need some sort of tie in. We aren't talking about another country or anything, but something totally alien/foreign (by definition) and the videos of I've seen, just don't peak my interest. The banshee, kind of, but just a little.

I think a good comparison, is the comic area at IOA. Considerably less busy than any other area of the park. (I don't count the atlantis show thing, which is so dated is like an aquatic themed Disney Quest equivalent).

Little Round Bale
05-08-2017, 09:49 AM
I think it is probably just you.... I am looking forward to the Pandora land itself... awesome imagination and appeals to a different crowd... it is nice to have diversity. Not a big fan of Animal Kingdom so is nice to have something interesting added. I perfer Magic Kingdon and Ecpot.... the beauty is there is something for everyone at Disney!!

eandrsmom
05-10-2017, 06:34 AM
At this point, we are excited about any new additions, although the Avatar theme wouldn't have been my first choice. We haven't watched the movie in several years, so we will probably watch it again so that we can refresh our memories. My nine year old said that she hopes that it's better than the Fantasyland expansion. It still bothers her that the Tangled area is just a nice bathroom.

Ian
05-10-2017, 09:53 AM
I honestly don't know whether it will be good, bad, or indifferent. I've never seen the Avatar film and have no desire to see it, but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying the land if it was well done. I've never seen a single Harry Potter film or read any of the books, but I really loved the land and attractions at Universal built around the franchise.

My biggest issue with Disney these days is it just takes them an absolutely ridiculous amount of time to do anything anymore. I mean they built the entire Disneyland theme park in a year and now it takes them like four or five years just to add a new land. Think about it ... Disney officially announced the Avatar addition in September of 2011! It will be nearly six full years until it actually opens. They've got to find a way to do better than that, because truthfully Universal is absolutely smoking them when it comes to cranking out new stuff.

The other thing that really bothers me is that these new "lands" get added and when you really get down to brass tacks they add one or two attractions at the most. The much talked about Fantasyland expansion added, at the end of the day, one single net-new ride. Originally it was a neutral since they came back and built 7DMT later on. The Star Wars land is the same thing ... looks like two new attractions and my bet is only one is really a ride and the other one is more of a show. Pandora? Same thing ... two new attractions total. DHS and AK never really made it past the 1/2 day park mark and now that they've gutted DHS so badly in preparation for the new stuff it's even worse. Epcot used to be great, but they've let it languish so badly that it really is down to a 1/2 day park, too. At least if you measure it by attractions ... I love to just wander around and soak in the atmosphere, but truth-be-told the attractions there are really sorely lacking anymore.

BrerGnat
05-10-2017, 10:27 AM
I honestly don't know whether it will be good, bad, or indifferent. I've never seen the Avatar film and have no desire to see it, but that wouldn't stop me from enjoying the land if it was well done. I've never seen a single Harry Potter film or read any of the books, but I really loved the land and attractions at Universal built around the franchise.

My biggest issue with Disney these days is it just takes them an absolutely ridiculous amount of time to do anything anymore. I mean they built the entire Disneyland theme park in a year and now it takes them like four or five years just to add a new land. Think about it ... Disney officially announced the Avatar addition in September of 2011! It will be nearly six full years until it actually opens. They've got to find a way to do better than that, because truthfully Universal is absolutely smoking them when it comes to cranking out new stuff.

The other thing that really bothers me is that these new "lands" get added and when you really get down to brass tacks they add one or two attractions at the most. The much talked about Fantasyland expansion added, at the end of the day, one single net-new ride. Originally it was a neutral since they came back and built 7DMT later on. The Star Wars land is the same thing ... looks like two new attractions and my bet is only one is really a ride and the other one is more of a show. Pandora? Same thing ... two new attractions total. DHS and AK never really made it past the 1/2 day park mark and now that they've gutted DHS so badly in preparation for the new stuff it's even worse. Epcot used to be great, but they've let it languish so badly that it really is down to a 1/2 day park, too. At least if you measure it by attractions ... I love to just wander around and soak in the atmosphere, but truth-be-told the attractions there are really sorely lacking anymore.
I agree with you. But I think they learned their lesson with taking so long to build stuff. Star Wars land will be done in about 2 more years which is a huge improvement from previous additions. And the 2 rides will be actual rides (pretty thrilling ones, not a lame 5 min boat ride). The Cantina restaurant is supposed to be kind of a show as well, not a quick serve place. So SW land seems more fully fleshed out already.

I'm sure Pandora Land looks cool. But I think it will lack real substance.

WiltonJohn
05-10-2017, 10:49 AM
I'm sure Pandora Land looks cool. But I think it will lack real substance.

For me, visual IS real substance.

Of course... I'm a professional visual artist. :cool:

best,

..............john

BrerGnat
05-10-2017, 10:54 AM
For me, visual IS real substance.

Of course... I'm a professional visual artist. :cool:

best,

..............john
I can respect that!

DisneyaHolic
05-19-2017, 01:38 PM
So, while I thought Avatar was fine, I thought the scenery was gorgeous, and I hope that - and actually expect - Disney does it justice. I am going on my first trip since Pandora opens, in July. We are going to Animal Kingdom for half days THREE TIMES during my 10 days, much more than usual, so that we can get fastpasses for both new Pandora rides AND Expedition Everest. I hope desperately you are wrong, as I hated the construction at Animal Kingdom for so long, and hope not to endure it again right away!

Whiteloria
05-22-2017, 08:40 AM
We visited Pandora yesterday. The area is nice, but nothing amazing. The Flights of Passage queue is interesting and the ride is excellent. It is a lot like Soarin as others have said and as for someone who gets motion sickness, this was not not case for me. They blow a lot of air in your face which helps a great deal. The boat ride for us was completely underwhelming and we will probably never ride it again. For six years, they couldn't have made this into a log flume with a few drops? Once this opens, I can see them having to change it for lack of interest. As far as food, we tried the hamburger pockets and my kids enjoyed them but I didn't like the taste of the meat. The doughy part was pretty good. Overall, we liked half of this new land!

PopPhan
05-22-2017, 09:37 AM

best,

...............john

Have you seen DiVine? Same deal, only blue... Hahahaaa

PopPhan
05-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Understandable, but how much of this was Disney/ImaginEaring and how much was getting Cameron's approval? It seems like a lot of this had to do with creating, and debugging, new ideas and a lot more on getting things 'perfect' to Cameron (and/or Rhode!)

I am certainly NOT downplaying your statement, as I do agree that Disney seems to take forever to implement any changes/additions/etc., but I honestly do not think this one is all on them. 2 - 3 years should be the maximum to 'create' a new land --- from groundbreaking to completion. I cannot fathom a guess as to how long design should take, but that is (should be) all behind the scenes.

One more 'add'....What was in this area prior to the Pandora "redesign"? Once the Pocohantas show was closed, there was ONLY The Lion King show and Meet & Greets in that section of the park. Isn't is better to have something to draw people in, even if it adds only one attraction from the original area?

OK...off my soapbox :soapbox: now...