PDA

View Full Version : What movies are essential viewing to appreciate WDW?

azcavalier
03-08-2017, 09:09 AM
We're heading down today for a week with my sister and her family. They're bringing a friend, a teenaged boy who would likely never have the chance to go otherwise. But he hasn't seen many Disney movies. So, she texted me that question. What movies should they watch with him in order for him to appreciate the parks?

I thought about it long and hard. Clearly, there are tons of movies with one tie-in somewhere (or two small tie-ins, not counting parades). But, for example, watching Robin Hood does nothing for your park experience. Neither does 101 Dalmations. Or Pete's Dragon. Alice in Wonderland only has the Teacups. Dumbo has...well...Dumbo.

So I told her that he needed to watch Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, and Toy Story. The Little Mermaid would come next, followed by Finding Nemo and Peter Pan.

So, that's my basic list. Thoughts? Am I missing something?

Scallywag
03-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean.

Zippy 1
03-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror are ones to give some background on those rides. Frozen if you will be doing that ride or meet n greet. If he has not seen Star Wars one or two of those would be helpful. Sorry this is so disjointed I am thinking by park. Dumbo, Tangled. All depends on how much time he has to watch them. The ones you listed I think are the most important ones

#1donaldfan
03-08-2017, 12:04 PM
For a teenage boy .. Pirates for sure ... then Toy Story, Lion King, maybe Peter Pan .... either way and for sure he will have tons of fun nonetheless, then upon returning to see the movies would continue the magic for him ....

phillydan
03-08-2017, 01:13 PM
I would add Monster's Inc and Bugs Life to the list.

texas211
03-08-2017, 07:46 PM
One of the documentaries, like the one from History channel on Walt Disney.

Saving Mr. Banks, Meet the Robinsons, Steamboat Willie, because they represent the dream and spirit.

Snow White.. would have some tie in, the ride, and the themed area over in FL by Small World and PP. It also made Disney commercially successful enough to move fwd.

The old Davy Crockett movies make me miss Frontierland, such as the one w/ Mike Fink.

Cinderelley
03-10-2017, 02:59 AM
I really don't think any movie is completely necessary for him to enjoy the park. If he wants to watch things though, I would have him watch things based on his age and interest. Princesses probably aren't his thing. Star Wars and Pirates may be. If you are doing shows such as Festival of the Lion King or Nemo, watching those may help him follow along. Toy Story would help him understand Buzz Lightyear and Midway Mania, but I think he would have fun without watching them too.
If you are doing any character meets, he would probably enjoy those more if he knows who they are.

thejens
03-10-2017, 02:16 PM
We are going to re-watch Avatar in preparation for Pandora at AK

Snow's Mom
03-14-2017, 09:22 PM
This is a great question. My kids grew up on Disney movies, so they appreciated WDW a little more than those who didn't know the stories. We extended our trips by watching the newest movie when we got home.

The list today is pretty long. Beauty and the Beast and whatever else has been listed that would appeal to a teenage boy.

minnie-mouse
03-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Don't forget Aladdin and Frozen. I would say Little Mermaid before Lion King.

LVT
03-17-2017, 01:13 AM
My sons really enjoyed The Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood.

MrPeetrie
03-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Song of the South. As much as I enjoy Splash Mountain, seeing the inspiration for the attraction makes it even better.