PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dilemma - How Much Would You Pay To See Rivers Of Light?

Fuskie
02-11-2017, 01:21 AM
I have a 3 day Disney Weekend planned for the weekend of March 18-20, flying down the night of the 17th and returning the night of the 20th, with 3 nights at Pop Century. I am going down for Braves Spring Training, with games each afternoon from 1pm to 4pm. This will be a solo trip, which doesn't bother me having spent 11 previous Spring Training Treks on my own.

My original plan was to kick back and have a relaxing time, spending an hour after the games on Saturday and Sunday exploring Pop Century, which I've never seen before, and walking over to the Art of Animation resort, which I also have never seen. On Saturday, I would head over to Sanaa for a nice dinner, then spending the evening exploring Disney Springs and maybe doing some shopping. On Sunday, I have an ADR for BlueZoo and planned to walk the Boardwalk afterwards and maybe sitting in at Jellyrolls.

However, Disney has thrown me for a loop with the announcement that River of Light premiers February 17th. I was disappointed to miss out on that during my Halloween trip last October since it was delayed. But to purchase a base park ticket to Disney's Animal Kingdom for that weekend is $108.63 (tax included), which is a lot for basically 4 hours of park time. And it's $215.13 for a 2 day base ticket should I decide to spend 4 hours at the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot.

That's an awful lot of money to spend on 8 hours of park time, especially on a tight budget. So my question is, would you spend $108 to to go to either Animal Kingdom or the Epcot Flower & Garden Festival just for the evening?

Fuskie
Who notes DAK has morning EMH on Saturday the 18th for a couple hours of park time before the game, but he's not likely going to get up for an 8am rope drop having just flown in late the night before...

Euby
02-11-2017, 02:52 AM
Personally, I would not. It sounds like you are a repeat visitor. I'd save both for a future visit. Maybe next time you can add a day or 2 to your trip and get lower-cost per-day ticket for the parks. Either way, I doubt that the Rivers of Light will be a short-lived attraction or that the Flower & Garden Festival will not be around.

Just my :twocents:

buzznwoodysmom
02-11-2017, 09:26 AM
I would not. Given Rivers of Light's track record I would not spend the money specifically for that. I wouldn't be very happy if the show had technical difficulties on the night I spent the money to see it. Just my two cents, but I don't think 4 hours in any park, or any one nighttime show is worth Disney's one day ticket price.

1DisneyNut
02-11-2017, 09:56 AM
There is no way I would spring that much for a few hours. In fact, I have passed on similar scenarios several times in the past where I had some time in the evening.

You could try calling and asking if you could purchase one of the after 3:00PM meeting/convention tickets which are priced a little more appropriately for only going in the evening.

brad192
02-11-2017, 10:00 AM
[QUOTE=Fuskie;2497391]...to purchase a base park ticket to Disney's Animal Kingdom for that weekend is $108.63 (tax included), which is a lot for basically 4 hours of park time. And it's $215.13 for a 2 day base ticket should I decide to spend 4 hours at the Flower & Garden Festival at Epcot.

That's an awful lot of money to spend on 8 hours of park time, especially on a tight budget...[QUOTE]

I think you answered your own question. ;) Save it (and the money) for another trip. :thumbsup:

deedee73
02-11-2017, 10:36 AM
Have you considered an AP? Seems like you travel rather often to Disney. If you plan on any trip in 2017 or early 2018 it might be of benefit to you. And unless I am mistaken the 13 month for 12 is still running. Also what about checking into purchasing tickets from an outside source - I know some had been running specials before. If it is $108 or nothing I would probably not spend it unless I had no expectation of visiting again for several years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

faline
02-11-2017, 10:40 AM
I'd stick with your original plans and save the park time for another trip when you have more time to spend in the parks.

Fuskie
02-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Have you considered an AP? Seems like you travel rather often to Disney. If you plan on any trip in 2017 or early 2018 it might be of benefit to you. And unless I am mistaken the 13 month for 12 is still running. Also what about checking into purchasing tickets from an outside source - I know some had been running specials before. If it is $108 or nothing I would probably not spend it unless I had no expectation of visiting again for several years.

The plot thickens - Undercover Tourist is reporting today that the annual ticket price increase will occur on Sunday, 2/12. Sounds like some radial changes, including advance sale discounts and expiration dates.

So it seems like the general, scratch that, universal, consensus is that it's not worth the money. Of course, the difference in cost is mitigated somewhat should I not have dinner at Sanaa or BlueZoo. I guess I have about 24 hours left to think about it before Disney will make the decision for me. It's gonna kill me, though, to have just missed out on something new

I wish I could afford an Annual Pass both in terms of cost and time off from work, but I just started a new job last September. I can usually manage one trip per calendar year at best, depending on my employment (and cash flow) status. Ideally, my next trip may be piggy-backed to a work trip to California, or a Disney Cruise, which I've been dreaming of for years.

Fuskie
Who is also thinking about some character dining breakfasts, but isn't sure he can get from the Magic Kingdom resort area to the Wide World of Sports inside 2 hours...

deedee73
02-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Who is also thinking about some character dining breakfasts, but isn't sure he can get from the Magic Kingdom resort area to the Wide World of Sports inside 2 hours...

Go for the character dining - it is great and of course if uou get a cab or Uber you should have no issues getting there.