PDA

View Full Version : Why is airfare so high?

wilcat
02-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Trying to book a weekend in the World from April 27th to May 1st and the airfare is nuts. Direct flights from Pittsburgh to Orlando are almost non existent and the cost of a ticket is over $300. Does anyone know if the fares will come down within the next few months or should I just bite the bullet and go with what I can get now?

NewDVCowner
02-02-2017, 11:22 AM
I don't have experience with it myself, however my brother put an app called 'Hopper' on his phone which predicts airfare prices, gives you an idea of the best time to buy and, I THINK, will monitor prices for you and let you know when they go down. He's currently monitoring a flight down to LA for me. I'll need to download it myself, though. I looked it up when I started writing this post and it has a four and a half star rating with 560 reviews.

Simba's Mom
02-02-2017, 02:36 PM
Wow, flights for $300 and even any direct flights? I'd jump on that! Unfortunately we live 260 miles from an airport that offers any non-stop flights, and it cost us $400 to fly. "Nuts" is all in what you're used to.

mamacon67
02-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Hopper is helpful, will ding you when rates drop, and will also give you an idea if you should anticipate a drop coming up. I saved almost $100 ticket, when I booked because of the notifications. The great price I got was gone two days later, so I was really excited that I listened to Hopper. It's all based on algorithms, but I consistently hear they are really accurate.

Euby
02-04-2017, 03:00 AM
Have you tried looking at Southwest? If you are flexible with your dates by a day or 2 you can save $40 to $70. I was able to get RT from Nashville for less than $150 for my upcoming trip the week before your dates.

deedee73
02-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Wilcat - I live in the Pittsburgh area too and friends from my son's library playgroup suggest Spirit airline out of Latrobe as the best alternative. They use it regularly bc tjey are DVC owners and state the following as reasons to use it - Free parking, lower cost flight, direct flights, and no wait security. We are considering it now as a good option for our trip in 2018. Flights have definitely skyrocketed as of late here and I have not seen any significant changes when the supposed fare sales are released. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

wilcat
02-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We were able to book non stop flights in and out of Tampa for under $220 a ticket on Southwest. It' only a little over an hour from Tampa to Orlando so that was a great option for us.

KarenP
02-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Air to Orlando is so high from Pittsburgh. Our problem is we only have Southwest flying nonstop so there is no competition.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Thanks for all the advice. We were able to book non stop flights in and out of Tampa for under $220 a ticket on Southwest. It' only a little over an hour from Tampa to Orlando so that was a great option for us.

I just booked a trip to Tampa from MN, direct on Delta, and it was just over $400. I think I could have knocked maybe $50 off had I selected different times during the day, but it was still a bit more than I anticipated, but its first week of March, so I suppose it could be touching the spring break season.