PDA

View Full Version : Camera talk - hints and tips

dlpmikki
01-25-2017, 04:23 AM
I just bought a new camera - the Canon 5D mark iv and it's another steep learning curve. I'm heading to WDW next week so will be taking it (and a new 70-200 zoom lens) to practice with.

What cameras do folks have and what do you like to take pictures of?

Do you just use a phone now?

Any hints and tips for favourite shots?

Ed
01-25-2017, 07:07 AM
Mine is a Leica V-Lux 1 DSLR. I had seen one on one of the Disney ships but didn't buy it. After getting home I did some more research on it and found a local dealer who carried Leica and bought it there. Of course I ended up paying more plus tax. :bang:

My previous 35mm film camera (remember them ?) was a Pentax ME Super with a motor drive and several optional lenses. I still have it but haven't used it since switching to digital about 15 years ago.

John
01-25-2017, 10:49 AM
Funny, I love the quality of my 70D but honestly, still take way more pictures with my cell phone. Now granted, my windows phones have great optics and nothing will ever beat my Lumia 1020 - but the reality is the best camera is the one you have with you.

I really would like to get back out and shoot more with my Canon. We've actually been doing more video with the traditional DSLR than shooting photos. I will say, my oldest son has been getting into taking pics more with it.

That 5d is going to serve you well...

dlpmikki
01-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Funny, I love the quality of my 70D
That 5d is going to serve you well...

The 70D is the one I am replacing :)

Ed
01-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Mikki, are you also bringing your 360° camera ?

Besides family memories, my favorite theme is nature pictures. I look for flowers and plants with plenty of color, good natural lighting, and without distracting backgrounds. I've also been known to carry a spray bottle of water to lightly mist the subject matter. I haven't yet learned Photoshop, but I do tinker with some basic editing software, sometimes with good results and sometimes not!

joanna71985
01-25-2017, 09:52 PM
I currently use a Nikon D7100, with a 18-300mm lens. I like the lens because I don't have to keep changing out lenses (and I like Nikon- this is my 3 DSLR camera with them). I like to shoot the entertainment on property- shows, MK parade, live entertainment (like Main Street PhilharMonic, Dapper Dans, ect).

dlpmikki
01-26-2017, 04:17 AM
Ed - I will be bringing the 360% camera. WDW seems like a very good place to use it. Think I will be holding it on some rides for example.

I haven't taken a bottle of spray water with me yet but that certainly would help with enhancing the subject. I love flower and nature pictures too.

Joanna I think I am down to two main lenses now - 18-70 and 70-200 both of which will shoot at f2.8 all the way through. I do like my depth of field!