PDA

View Full Version : Haven't Been to WDW since 2011 - planning Thanksgiving 2017-Wristbands, FP+ Oh my!

jonsmom
11-23-2016, 06:37 PM
I was a Disney Planning guru. As I stated, I haven't been to WDW in 6 years. Thanksgiving visit even longer.

I would like to go next Thanksgiving.

I don't know what all these new changes are. I know nothing about Wristbands, Fastpass scheduling for 6 months? I thought it was hard enough to plan meals for a dining plan.

YIKES

faline
11-23-2016, 08:00 PM
It can be a bit intimidating but just take it one step at a time. Wristbands are easy. Think of it as an updated room key, park entrance key and fastpass ticket - that's essentially all it is. As far as fastpass+ goes, please refer to my thoughts on this system at the top of this forum.

Set up a My Disney Experience account. These days, that will be critical to your planning. This is where you will go to link your tickets and all your reservations. This is where you will make your dining reservations and select your fastpasses. Keep in mind you must purchase theme park tickets before your can make fastpass reservations. That means you must purchase tickets in advance of your trip in order to make fastpass reservations.

The only other tip I can offer is to visit Intercot often to keep up on the latest developments/change in Disney World.

Oh, and happy vacation planning!! It's a bit different but stil fun!!

jonsmom
11-23-2016, 09:05 PM
It can be a bit intimidating but just take it one step at a time. Wristbands are easy. Think of it as an updated room key, park entrance key and fastpass ticket - that's essentially all it is. As far as fastpass+ goes, please refer to my thoughts on this system at the top of this forum.

Set up a My Disney Experience account. These days, that will be critical to your planning. This is where you will go to link your tickets and all your reservations. This is where you will make your dining reservations and select your fastpasses. Keep in mind you must purchase theme park tickets before your can make fastpass reservations. That means you must purchase tickets in advance of your trip in order to make fastpass reservations.

The only other tip I can offer is to visit Intercot often to keep up on the latest developments/change in Disney World.

Oh, and happy vacation planning!! It's a bit different but stil fun!!

Thanks for taking the time to reply faline - we haven't chatted in years. I remember you. Happy Thanksgiving

faline
11-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks for taking the time to reply faline - we haven't chatted in years. I remember you. Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!!

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-24-2016, 11:00 PM
Yea! You're planning a trip back - this is exciting!

It does seem like a lot has changed, but it really isn't as bad as it seems at first glance. The wristbands are just room keys/tickets on your wrist. You can actually get the "old" type cards if you want. :)

Otherwise, the big change is that you can book 3 FP+ 60 days in advance (if you're staying on-site) or 30 days for off-site. Make these your "must-do's" in each park, and book away.

The great news is that the whole Intercot team will be around as you plan and book your trip - I get so many great tips from everyone here.

CynBeth
11-25-2016, 09:36 AM
Not sure how many days you are planning but to give you some info there is no MVMCP that week. The last one is the Friday before and then it resumes the Sunday after. Holidays Around the World and CP at Epcot start on Black Friday. Make time to visit the deluxe resorts for their decorations. We have been twice that week and have not found the crowds too bad because we allow plenty of time at all the parks plus there are extended park hours. I love the Disney website. Once you make your ADRs and FPs you can select from the My Disney Experience drop down My Itinerary and both show up plus you can make notes and add parades and shows to your schedule and it puts everything in order so what I do is print out for each day of the trip but realize Disney can make a change at any time to hours and show times. I forget how far in advance you can customize your MBs which ship about a month before the trip and can do online checkin 60 days before where you have the option to make requests for room location. I am actually going in a week and have heard that as long as you fill everything out there you can bypass the front desk if you get a text or e-mail with your room #. I will see if that happens. Where are you thinking about staying?

jonsmom
11-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Good Morning

I am thinking of staying at Pop Century. Though my favorite is French Quarter. Its so much more & I can't see paying that much more for a room.

Are you saying there is no MVMCP before Thanksgiving? I was planning on leaving on the 17th which is the Friday before Thanksgiving and coming back the day after Thanksgiving.

jonsmom
11-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Is the Merry Christmastime parade the nightime parade at that time?

CynBeth
11-26-2016, 10:38 PM
Good Morning

I am thinking of staying at Pop Century. Though my favorite is French Quarter. Its so much more & I can't see paying that much more for a room.

Are you saying there is no MVMCP before Thanksgiving? I was planning on leaving on the 17th which is the Friday before Thanksgiving and coming back the day after Thanksgiving.

If they do things the way it is now there should be a MVMCP on the 17th but they do not have it Thanksgiving Week so if you want to go that is the only day you could do it. Hopefully you can extend a day or 2 and leave the Sat or Sunday after so you do not miss the holiday stuff at Epcot which begins on Black Friday.

CynBeth
11-26-2016, 10:43 PM
Is the Merry Christmastime parade the nightime parade at that time?

No. That doesn't happen until after the last party in Dec unless they decide change that with not having MSEP.

jonsmom
11-27-2016, 07:49 AM
Thanks CynBeth - I may have to change my plan and go Saturday-Saturday. I was trying to avoid crowds and higher airfare.