PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom to offer Cabanas

VWL Mom
11-21-2016, 12:53 PM
Just saw this in the Orlando Sentinel. I can see renting them poolside (and have) but I'm not so sure about this.

The theme park will soon start renting cabanas for almost $700 a day.

The private, shaded cabanas near Space Mountain in Tomrrowland hold eight people. They are available for the entire day and cost $691 with tax. Rental includes lockable storage, charging stations, sunscreen and insect repellent, water and soft drinks, and food.

Other sites are reporting that the food included in the price is fruit and one Mickey bar per person. Food delivery service will be available but at a charge.

PirateLover
11-21-2016, 01:01 PM
I saw a picture of these. Very tacky looking, at least from the outside. They are trying to sell whatever they can. Not a fan.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-21-2016, 01:31 PM
Huh? This makes no sense to me at all. If you want a break in the park, there are plenty of places for that ... I don't have that kind of money anyways, so I'm not the target audience.

Arielfan98
11-21-2016, 02:18 PM
While I will never pay for such a thing, there will always be rich people who will fund this. Where are the cabanas anyway? I can't picture where in the park. Also, I agree that they look a little tacky.

VWL Mom
11-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Where are the cabanas anyway? I can't picture where in the park.
They are back by Space Mountain. From the photos it looks like they towards the restrooms.

Figment!
11-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Magic Kingdom Cast have reported that a new in-park offering called "Kingdom Cabanas" will begin 11/27/16 at the Magic Kingdom.

The "cabanas", which appear to be more like small "room-like" tents with windows, can be rented for up to 8 Guests at $691 (including tax) per day.

Magic Kingdom Cast have reported that the full list of amenities will be:

Cold Beverages
Electronic device charging stations
Fruit basket (1)
Hand sanitizer
Ice cream novelties and desserts (one time delivery)
Insect repellent
Lockable storage trunk
Personalized Mickey ears
Private and shaded seating
Reserved viewing space for parades and fireworks
Small refrigerator
Snacks
Sunscreen

Cast & Guests have reported that several of the "cabanas" have been erected in Tommorowland near Space Mountain.

Guests interested in booking can contact 1-407-939-7529 (1-407-WDW-PLAY) to make a reservation.

Hammer
11-22-2016, 01:07 AM
As I mentioned to some friends, I enjoy my share of splurges at WDW, but this is too much even for me! I have rented a cabana at the GF pool for a half day a couple of years ago. For about $160 dollars (this was 3 years ago), we got a cabana with a fan, TV, fridge filled with soda and water, Bose Bluetooth radio, two cushioned couches, 2 cushioned chaises and a huge fruit tray that could feed a party of 10! I will stick to splurges like that!

John
11-22-2016, 09:43 AM
Hmm. I know it's all about maximizing profit - but it just seems like this has taken the poolside cabana idea at deluxe resorts everywhere to a new, ugly level. Not to mention, where is the aesthetics of the park? Temporary tents in tomorrowland? Are they going to theme them futuristic?

Sorry, I hate the idea. You need a quiet afternoon break? Go eat a meal at one of the resorts on the monorail line.

Stop the money grab madness.

dlpmikki
11-22-2016, 10:43 AM
Dislike the cabanas a lot but I am more open about the festivals. We'll be there for the Art one and will make a judgement then.

PopPhan
11-22-2016, 11:38 AM
Don't like this idea at all, but Disney has found a niche market and they will drain all the $$$ they can out of it, while they can. IF they can do this and make it fit the area and not stick out like a sore thumb, let the 1%ers (joking!!!) spend their money.

faline
11-22-2016, 11:51 AM
I could see extended families on a trip together might like the idea as a place to get together or for some members of the group to take a rest - perhaps the grandmom or granddad who isn't as mobile any longer or parents of young children. Those who don't want to travel back to the resort for baby's nap or a place to put feet up for a while.

Lindsey
11-22-2016, 01:02 PM
From the photos they look tacky. Maybe if they prove to be popular Disney will put more permanent looking structures in; the tents do not fit-in with Tomorrowland.

PopPhan
11-22-2016, 01:08 PM
From the photos they look tacky. Maybe if they prove to be popular Disney will put more permanent looking structures in; the tents do not fit-in with Tomorrowland.

Understand that the article states that these are temporary to see how they work out. If they are well received, something more permanent will be installed.

Dopey's Girl
11-22-2016, 02:51 PM
They do look horribly tacky. I'm all for maxing out your profits, but this is taking it one giant step too far. If I'm splurging at WDW, it's going to be on a better resort for the duration of the trip, not a cheap plastic tent for one day at MK.

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-22-2016, 04:06 PM
I agree with previous posters, tacky and another way to make a quick buck

brad192
11-22-2016, 04:16 PM
...Stop the money grab madness.

I am now convinced that the "Money Grab Madness Monkeys" are running WDW. $700 a day? Really? And TENTS? That'll work well on a nice hot sunny day in Florida! I'm with John on this. If I need a break, I'll head over to the Poly for the A/C, a nice meal, a Lapu Lapu, and maybe a short nap in a hammock on the beach. I've got better things to spend my money on.

MNNHFLTX
11-22-2016, 06:08 PM
I'm sorry, but this the stupidest idea yet. :shake:

TheVBs
11-23-2016, 11:30 AM
I'm never bother by others who choose to splurge on these extras - but wow. Looked at some pictures and these are just visually jarring. I think they tried to make them look as nice as possible, but they just don't fit.

Altair
11-23-2016, 02:38 PM
They look like they belong at a cemetery for an adverse weather burial.

Terra
11-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Oh my, how did people handle long hot days at the park before all these "luxuries"? Oh yeah, they slurpped it up buttercup and/or went back to the resort.

I agree with Natalie, to each their own on splurges but as for me this is ridiculous. Of course I'm lower middle class so money IS an object to me when planning. LOL

1DisneyNut
11-30-2016, 12:52 PM
I saw those and thought "What are those doing there?" I just figured they had some sort of thing going on and had them set up for workers or whatever to use. lol They are super tacky looking and the flower pots lined up all around them just adds to the tackiness. It would be a stretch to talk me into paying $125 a day for one and that would only happen in the middle of the summer if they were air conditioned but still if I wanted to take a break, I would do as others have mentioned and jump on the monorail to the resort.

I don't get it and don't like it at all. How does putting tacky looking tents in the park by one of the most popular rides even get approved? Who is running WDW these days for crying out loud?

Next thing you know, they will be setting up single wide trailers in the parking lot and renting them as rooms with great amenities like a fridge stocked with natural light in cans.

joanna71985
12-01-2016, 09:52 PM
I wish I had that kind of money to throw away =/

MrPeetrie
12-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Years ago, my wife joked to a CM, "You need nap tents so guests can take a brief nap without going back to the hotel." I can't wait to tell her they did just that. Lol.

PeterPan
01-04-2017, 10:47 PM
I'll just be frank. No way. Hate this idea. Tacky, tacky, tacky. Please let this fail.

joanna71985
01-15-2017, 08:51 PM
I saw on a website that they have been discontinued (can't say that I'm surprised)

imprttuner88
01-15-2017, 09:41 PM
The entire idea was ridiculous IMO, def money grab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

faline
01-16-2017, 10:52 AM
I read about the end of this program, as well. The pictures I had seen of the interiors were nice though I did wonder how many folks would spend the amount of money they were asking for them.

John
01-17-2017, 06:20 PM
I saw on a website that they have been discontinued (can't say that I'm surprised)

Well that was quick... Barely had time to talk about them on the podcast and poof, history.

Princess Jules
01-24-2017, 11:31 AM
First off the price is outrageous. Only the extremely wealthy would even consider something like this in my opinion. To escape the heat just go into a shop for some time or go into a show at the American Adventure if you are in Epcot or Philharmagic in MK. I also think it will be an eye sore even if they try to hide them away. I just don't see this as a success.

Ed
01-24-2017, 11:54 AM
Well that was quick... Barely had time to talk about them on the podcast and poof, history.

Yeah, that idea went over like a lead balloon. :down:

texas211
01-29-2017, 06:20 PM
I wonder if they are cooled in some ways?

Well, if they are discontinued, I hope they are brought back in a rev2, perhaps with cooling and a Disney TV (the navigation channels you get 15 of at the resort).

I would certainly like this at EPCOT during food/wine.

RavsRuleDisney!
02-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Ok, I can't see how the thousands upon thousands of guests PAYING for on site accommodations would then dish out several hundred MORE dollars for a daytime tent rental? Need a break on a hot day? Hmmmm, lets see - any shady area (we somehow find them all the time), any cool inside eatery/shop/attraction/Disney breakstation, how about jump on the Monorail and take a lazy loop or two around the lagoon, orrrrr....head back to the resort you are staying at and already paying for like we've always done people!! I can see their target market would more likely be the day tripper - particularly larger groups, a number of older or younger folks in tow....I am sure someone somewhere did some research on this and said 'oh yeah, I have a good idea here' - but I don't see this one taking flight. Now pass me a dole whip.... :thumbsup:

RavsRuleDisney!
02-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Ok, I can't see how the thousands upon thousands of guests PAYING for on site accommodations would then dish out several hundred MORE dollars for a daytime tent rental? Need a break on a hot day? Hmmmm, lets see - any shady area (we somehow find them all the time), any cool inside eatery/shop/attraction/Disney breakstation, how about jump on the Monorail and take a lazy loop or two around the lagoon, orrrrr....head back to the resort you are staying at and already paying for like we've always done people!! I can see their target market would more likely be the day tripper - particularly larger groups, a number of older or younger folks in tow....I am sure someone somewhere did some research on this and said 'oh yeah, I have a good idea here' - but I don't see this one taking flight. Now pass me a dole whip.... :thumbsup:

Oh, should have read the whole thread. Never mind.

joonyer
02-15-2017, 04:21 PM
Wait a minute. No wonder this idea failed. For that price, you could book an Atrium CLUB LEVEL room overnight at the Contemporary resort, which of course includes drinks and food served all day, PLUS it is Air-Conditioned! With real beds! And TV, And a private bathroom! And it's only a couple of hundred yards from the MK entrance. OR, you could rent TWO rooms in the Garden Wing at the Contemporary, or you could rent similar rooms at the Polynesian which is just a relaxing boat ride away. Did they think people were just that easily duped, or too lazy to walk/ride to the nearby hotels if they needed a place to rest or crash while at the MK? OK never mind, I know the answer to that question. Duhhh. I don't get it. (if they had priced these things more like $200 per day, the MK would probably be full of them.)

minnie-mouse
02-20-2017, 12:12 PM
I get there are people who will pay the $ for something like this, but it just sounds ridiculous. Disney needs to remember, there are probably more people who wouldn't pay for something that expensive. Why not make a few options of things for those of us who won't? It all comes down to profit I guess.

texas211
02-25-2017, 04:20 PM
I'd like something like this at Epcot, especially during FW.