PDA

View Full Version : Never been to Riverside BUT have ressies there!

edwards2301
11-08-2016, 04:36 PM
We usually stay at CBR BUT CBR is booked for the end of June beginning of July. Crazy! I called in August. Anyways, we are staying at Riverside. I know if it is laid out like CBR but I just don't know where I should try to request to stay. When we stay at CBR we usually request Preferred rooms close to Old Port Royale We travel with my parents who are in their late 70's and the walking is getting to them. My kiddos are DD8 and DD12 so they are okay with the walk.
Any suggestions??? Close to eating area and close to main pool???

Thank you
I would appreciate the help!:thumbsup::mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-08-2016, 06:20 PM
We love Riverside!

Riverside comes in two parts, the Mansion Buildings and the Bayou buildings. There are "preferred rooms" in the Bayou section, and these are the closest to the main building and the main pool. If you didn't book preferred, buildings 16 & 17 aren't too far away from the action.

On the other side, the Mansions (at least buildings 90 & 95) aren't too far either, but they are "Royal Rooms", so requesting them depends on availability.

I would request the preferred buildings, or even just ask for "close to main building and pool" on the reservation. We've stayed there and loved the location. It felt very private and secluded, but in reality we were right in the thick of things.

It is a large resort though, and I find the quiet pools are actually very nice. They don't have a slide though, but we've really enjoyed them, even moreso than the main pool.

I hope you enjoy your stay ... make a plan to see Yea-Haw Bob one evening, he's wonderful! POR also has a most wonderful food court (we've eaten over there even when staying at POFQ) and a good-sized store (in case you need a reason to spend more money). Another perk is the boat to Disney Springs, which is nice since it drops you off near the Christmas store (near the "old" bus stops), so if you're headed to the Marketplace, it is closer than the bus stops in the middle.

Genie1953
11-09-2016, 12:46 AM
We love Port Orleans! In fact we are here now! This time we decided to pay extra for a "preferred location" and imagine our surprise to find out that we were assigned building 27 which is the furthest away of the four preferred locations and not only that we are on the side of the building that is furthest away. Gosh we have stayed in the mansion side of the resort and been closer than we are in this "preferred" location. Since we are here until the 19th we are thinking of asking if there is any way we can be moved a bit closer. Other than that we love this place. We especially love the boat ride to Disney Springs and often take it after a long day at the parks to wind down and relax before turning in for the night.

MrPeetrie
11-12-2016, 12:13 AM
Of all the moderates, although we love all four, this is our favorite. I love its theme, the evocative music that plays throughout, and the little "perks" of this resort. Unless close access is a necessity for you, this is a resort where I actually prefer NOT to be close to lobby. We always stay in the Alligator Bayou. I love the long, winding morning walk to the breakfast courtyard as it is so picturesque. On our last stay here, we actually were upgraded to a "preferred room" and, unlike the rest of my family, I did not like it. I wanted to walk near the river. (They LOVED how close we were to everything and thought I was nut.)

This resort has a great pool, very nice food court (lots of seating,) nice sit-down restaurant, carriage rides, and one of my favorite perks, the boat ride on the Sassagoula River to Disney Springs. It's a must do! Also, it's not a long walk to Port Orleans French Quarter for some freshly made beignets!

Although I've never done it, you can fish at this resort. Old Man Island, their main swimming pool, is very nice. Lots of nice, shaded places there to get your feng shui on, too.

When my family finds out we're staying here, they're always very excited. All in all, I'd rate it 9.5/10 for moderates. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

andmomlau
11-15-2016, 03:39 PM
We have stayed at many resorts and three years ago, finally purchased DVC. Until that time, we always tried to stay st POR, the mansion side. As previous posts have mentioned, they have the best food court....even compared to deluxe resorts! I am sure if you call again ahead of time and explain the situation with your parents, they will accommodate your request if possible! I think you will fall in love with POR!

villavic
11-27-2016, 10:28 AM
We especially love the boat ride to Disney Springs and often take it after a long day at the parks to wind down and relax before turning in for the night.

I'll stay at the French Quarter hotel on january 23. I'll take the boat definitely. In the past I've taken the boat from Boardwalk to Studios, but also have walked the same route thru the walking path between those places.

Is there a walking path between Port Orleans hotels and Disney Springs? I'm a walker too.

texas211
11-27-2016, 06:10 PM
I would get a room as close to one of the bus stops as possible, and not near the main building. You can take the buses to get to/from the main building faster. There just too many folks trying to use the main building bus stop.

If you have a small pool, bring an extra towel with you. There aren't any pool side.

In the morning for breakfast, the restaurant serves as overflow seating for the food court.

Genie1953
11-28-2016, 10:06 AM
I'll stay at the French Quarter hotel on january 23. I'll take the boat definitely. In the past I've taken the boat from Boardwalk to Studios, but also have walked the same route thru the walking path between those places.

Is there a walking path between Port Orleans hotels and Disney Springs? I'm a walker too.

No walking path to Disney Springs that I am aware of. Maybe some who knows better will respond. Would be great if there were.

PopPhan
11-28-2016, 10:38 AM
My last visit was a stay at PO:R. Had a room in Magnolia Bend (mansions) -- Bldg. 85, with pool view, and it was a quick and easy walk to the restaurant, lounge and food court. Actually did that walk to get the bus to the parks rather than the "regular" stop for that area. It was nice to walk past the pool on Ol' Man Island every morning. YeeHaw Bob is a great entertainer and rally should not be missed. Even though he plays in the lounge (River Roost,) the show is fun for the whole family.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-28-2016, 10:42 AM
No walking path to Disney Springs that I am aware of. Maybe some who knows better will respond. Would be great if there were.

You are correct! There is no walking path from Port Orleans to Disney Springs. The only resort that is walkable from DS is Saratoga Springs.