PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane impact information

WDWdriver
10-06-2016, 09:23 AM
All four WDW theme parks are open as scheduled today (Thursday). Disney is monitoring the path of hurricane Matthew and has not yet announced any potential park closures for tomorrow.

Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed now through Sunday. This includes all Thursday and Friday performances of Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Mickey's Backyard BBQ.

Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park will be closed today and Friday.

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park will be open today; however, the Learn to Surf experience is closed.

Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park will be closed Friday.

Spirit of Aloha dinner shows at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort will be cancelled for today and Friday evenings.

buzznwoodysmom
10-06-2016, 10:14 AM
I have also read that Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party has been cancelled for tonight. Details can be found on the Disney World website.

WDWdriver
10-06-2016, 10:25 AM
Yes. Tonight's MNSSHP has been cancelled.

Strmchsr
10-06-2016, 11:39 AM
All parks will close tonight at 5 pm and plan to be closed tomorrow

BriarRose0708
10-06-2016, 11:44 AM
All parks will close tonight at 5 pm and plan to be closed tomorrow

WOW! I have been going to WDW for 10 years and I can't remember them closing the parks completely due to weather. Incredible. Are other Central Florida parks closing as well? Sea World, Universal, etc?

buzznwoodysmom
10-06-2016, 11:57 AM
WOW! I have been going to WDW for 10 years and I can't remember them closing the parks completely due to weather. Incredible. Are other Central Florida parks closing as well? Sea World, Universal, etc?

Didn't the parks close several years ago (on two occasions I think) because of hurricanes?

LifeislikeaHurricane
10-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Sea World and both Universal parks are closed Friday. SW 2pm today Universal/City Walk 5pm.

Those on the water at the Polynesian have been relocated. Slight deviations can drastically change potential conditions and closures.

Nothing to be gained by being open tomorrow. Special Movie Presentations, Character Meet and Greets, have been added to those at the on property hotels.

Sylvia
10-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Didn't the parks close several years ago (on two occasions I think) because of hurricanes?

Yes. I was there in 2004 for Charley (staying at SoG that trip). Disney announced and resort guests received notices that the parks would be closing at 1 PM. I decided to go the Magic Kingdom for a few hours, since I knew I'd be able to get back to my resort easily.

It was a very eerie day, since limited locations were open. At 1:00 everyone started to make their way to the exits. Ironically, I felt the first rain drop as I was walking on the totally closed Main Street. To this day, I still wonder how they knew the first rain drop would fall at 1 PM :). When I saw the totally packed presort bus area, I was glad I was staying at SoG that trip. All I had to do was take a quick ferry ride to the TTC and catch the waiting SoG bus.

During the storm, even though it was scary at times, I always felt very safe.

WDWdriver
10-06-2016, 12:43 PM
The Disney parks were closed twice in 2004 due to hurricanes. Also closed on 9/11.

WDWdriver
10-06-2016, 12:52 PM
All parks will close at 5 p.m. Today.

The following locations will be closed, Friday, October, 7:
Magic Kingdom
Epcot
Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom
Typhoon Lagoon
Blizzard Beach
ESPN Wide World of Sports
Disney Springs
Fantasia Gardens Miniature Golf
Winter Summerland Miniature Golf

BriarRose0708
10-06-2016, 12:56 PM
The Disney parks were closed twice in 2004 due to hurricanes. Also closed on 9/11.

Yeah, 2004 was before I started going. It sounds like they know what's coming and how to handle it. Hopefully folks will still have a magical time!

Strmchsr
10-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Also in 1999. This will make the 5th time in the 45 year history WDW has had to close.

ransam
10-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Is this the longest the park has been closed?

Susan A
10-07-2016, 09:17 AM
I'm praying for all of those in the path of hurricane Mathew.

Strmchsr
10-07-2016, 09:24 AM
Is this the longest the park has been closed?

No, it was closed a similar time in 2004.

Giggy
10-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Stay safe everyone! :mickey:

On a lighter note maybe Typhoon Lagoon needs a storm every once in a while to keep it authentic? :vacation:

Polynesian Dweller
10-07-2016, 11:20 AM
It should be noted that this closure is due to the Orange County curfew that lasts until 7am Saturday morning. Staff can't get here to man the parks and staff who are here, like the ride out crew here at the Poly, can't get home. No vehicles other than emergency vehicles are allowed on the roads.

Very, very limited debris and almost no damage as of this morning Oct 7.

Susan A
10-08-2016, 08:29 AM
Thank you Polynesian Dweller for the update.

ck32250
10-08-2016, 09:51 PM
We evac'd here from the coast. Did Epcot and AK today. Absolutely picture perfect day for weather. No signs of the storm at all. They ended up lifting the curfew at 5pm on Friday- we went to WL for dinner. Light showers last night and breezy. Disney handled it wonderfully.