PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside - First Time Staying There

LittleSpirit02
09-25-2016, 02:10 PM
So my DH and I have a reservation at the Port Orleans Riverside over Thanksgiving. We have a Royal Room. Any must dos or must sees at the resort? Can't wait!

lindique
09-25-2016, 06:00 PM
Take the boat to Disney Springs. And go see Yehaa Bob's show in the lounge.
You'll love Riverside!

hauntedmansiongirl
09-27-2016, 11:23 PM
You have to go and see Yehaa Bob Jackson for sure! You can look him up- he's an old times piano man who gets the whole River Roost bar singing along! If you aren't a joiner, you can sit in the comfy chairs in the back and watch the antics from afar. It's priceless!

Riverside is a great resort for long walks, and if you're up to it, you can walk over to French Quarter for beignets. They are so good!

The boat ride to Disney Springs is great!

The back porch has nice, big white rockers that are perfect for relaxing on in the evenings.

Have a great time! You willl ove every minute!

#1donaldfan
09-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Walk along the river between Riverside and French Quarter one evening. That route is beautiful. Enjoy the pools, even in November. Try the food court at the FQ they have a great line-up menu !!

texas211
09-30-2016, 09:42 PM
I'm here right now.
Must eat at Boatrights. Love the gumbo and jambalaya. Though most everything is great.
If you end up in a room far from the lobby, from your bus stop, take any bus (but Disney Spring) to get back to the lobby. From the lobby, can take the Disney Springs bus to get to the outlying bus stops.
Have had issues with housekeeping leaving soap and TP in the room. Another guest was having that problem too.
They have cane pole fishing onsite, and bass fishing excursions that take you to Disney Springs for fishing. Both have an added cost, but are tremendous fun.

Genie1953
09-30-2016, 11:35 PM
Port Orleans Riverside is our go-to resort. There are carriage rides for an added cost. Not sure how much they are as we have never done this. That said....we do plan to take advantage of that offering for our trip next month. Can't wait to get back to POR....have always stayed in the Mansion side of the resort in the Oak Manor building but this next trip we are doing a preferred location room in the Alligator Bayou side of the resort. Getting more and more excited to get back to Disneyworld and this trip will be 12 nights/13 days!

RavsRuleDisney!
10-10-2016, 09:37 PM
We are repeat offenders at POR - in a good way - as our stays there have always been great! We always get preferred in Alligator Bayou section (close to main building). I agree with most of the above except the cane pole fishing. A bunch of us did it - a charge of course - and not even a nibble. You will no doubt enjoy it! :thumbsup:

magicofdisney
10-11-2016, 08:15 AM
We've only ever stayed in Alligator Bayou, but this is my FAVORITE resort! There's nothing like the first time, when you fall in love. :cloud9: I love the atmosphere, the food court, the gift shop, the docks, the dining, etc. Enjoy your stay. :mickey:

texas211
10-12-2016, 08:58 PM
We are repeat offenders at POR - in a good way - as our stays there have always been great! We always get preferred in Alligator Bayou section (close to main building). I agree with most of the above except the cane pole fishing. A bunch of us did it - a charge of course - and not even a nibble. You will no doubt enjoy it! :thumbsup:

Ah, that is too bad. We pulled some bass, good size, and several sunfish.

thads
10-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Warmer and sunnier days produce at the fishing area. Colder/rainer days shut it down. At least in the winter time.

MrPeetrie
10-16-2016, 07:50 AM
While we love all the resorts we've stayed at, this is probably our favorite moderate. We've only stayed in the Allgator Bayou, but while we try to get a "preferred" room at other resorts, this is one where I like it when we're "deep in the Bayou." I LOVE the morning walk through this resort to the food court. So picturesque.

I will echo what others have said about this resort:
- boat ride to Disney Springs (must-do.)
- great pool.
- walk to POFQ for beignets.

And I'm gong to mention one other "hidden gem" -- the music that plays throughout the resort! It's both so evocative and so "catchy" it sticks with you. You'll hear it by the pool, in the lobby, on the bus ride back to the resort. It's one of the many little "hooks" Disney uses to bring you back over and over again.

MissionDisney
10-20-2016, 03:25 PM
We LOVE Port Orleans Riverside... Our "Must Do's" include:
Walking the Grounds
Horse & Buggy Ride
Eat at "Boatwright's"

2008 - Poly
2009 - POP / Wilderness
2010 - Animal / Contemp.
2011 - Beach Club
2012 - Port Orl. River
- Animal
2013 - Boardwalk / Baylake Twr.
- Old Key
2014 - Animal
- Boardwalk
2015 - Wilderness
- Art of Animation
2016 - Poly
- Beach Club later this year...

CaptSmee
11-06-2016, 10:15 AM
Our least favorite resort we've stayed at. Large, sprawling, nothing centrally located but lots of people do like it. Just not our cup of tea