PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Lunch

JanetMegan
09-07-2016, 12:46 PM
So you've gotten up at 4:30am to make the drive to WDW. You arrive about lunchtime and want a nice lunch for one person (without park tickets) while you wait for the rest of your crew to arrive. Where do you choose?

Genie1953
09-07-2016, 01:15 PM
When we get to Disneyworld we always go to Earl of Sandwich for lunch but one time we did Wolfgang Puck Express and it was good too. Both are in Disney Springs.

Basket Mommy
09-07-2016, 01:41 PM
It depends on where I'm staying. If the resort has a nice table or counter service restaurant, I might just do that. If not, maybe one of the newer restaurants at Disney Springs - Homecoming by Art Smith, or The Boathouse come to mind.

VacationDisney
09-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Earl of Sandwich is a great place to go. Nothing fancy but they have amazing food!

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-07-2016, 03:04 PM
I would treat myself to tea at the Grand Floridian. I would enjoy the calmness, the air-conditioning and the scrumptious food. Then, I'd take a ride on the monorail.

If that didn't fit, I'd head to The Wave at the Contemporary. Good good, great service and a relaxing start after the long drive.

Anthony007
09-07-2016, 04:04 PM
Grand Floridian Cafe!

deedee73
09-08-2016, 12:12 AM
My top three options - Kona, the Wave, or Grand Floridian Cafe. We have done all of these on arrival day and enjoyed them another decent one but more out of the way was Olivia's. There's always DTD (oops DS) but again it can be a chore to get to and get around.

SBETigg
09-08-2016, 09:13 AM
It depends on where I'm staying and the time I have to wait. I would probably opt for the resort quick service option, ending with a cupcake, but I loved the GF tea idea mentioned by Heather. What a treat!

disney obsessed
09-08-2016, 09:42 AM
My fav lunch is the chicken cesar at the mara in AKL. Followed by zebra domes and a walk around the resort to view the animals and see the artifacts. Heaven

TheDuckRocks
09-08-2016, 10:59 AM
I was in almost the same situation a couple of years ago. I went with Sanaa as I had always wanted to try it but rest of my family I travel with were absolutely refused to go there. Had an amazing lunch and for the next trip demanded that we all go there. Surprise, surprise - they all loved it and are all more than will to go back again.

#1donaldfan
09-08-2016, 12:28 PM
No park day, waiting on your crew ..... if I were staying at the FQ, I'd eat a shrimp Po-boy, then hit the pool side for a bit of a nap. I'd be too tired for the trip to Disney Springs, but if you have the energy I'd try the new Pizza place. I cannot remember the name of it, but my DD says it's incredible. Basically, I'd wait for my crew to eat a super nice place and reserve my alone time on something less spectacular ...

Hammer
09-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Janet, you are into food like me, so I am going to suggest Morimoto Asia. I have loved everything I have had there! As this is for lunch, We usually order duck or regular pork ramen. The Peking duck is delicious, but is a pretty large and rich (as in filling) meal for 1. When we ordered the duck, my sister and I split it.

I do like the tea idea, but I usually enjoy that more with a group (or at least having my sister with me).

Pooh Fan
09-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Pizza at Wolfgang Puck Express in Disney Springs would be my choice!

MNNHFLTX
09-08-2016, 06:14 PM
Probably Raglan Road, so that I could have a beer with my lunch (Disney transportation, you know--I wouldn't be driving). ;)

DANAM
09-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Kona Cafe or Wolfgang Puck express in DTD

BrerGnat
09-08-2016, 08:41 PM
I would go to Disney Springs and try one of the new places there and then get one of those fancy desserts at Amorettes Patisserie. They look amazing!

Basket Mommy
09-08-2016, 09:58 PM
I would go to Disney Springs and try one of the new places there and then get one of those fancy desserts at Amorettes Patisserie. They look amazing!

The desserts ARE amazing! I went there 2 weeks ago with my 18 YO daughter, an aspiring pastry chef. We tried 3 of the desserts (it was hard to narrow it to 3!) They were delicious. The Daily Poutine was a great meal, too!

JanetMegan
09-09-2016, 08:54 AM
You guys have so many good ideas I think I need to go down an entire extra day earlier than planned :)

#1donaldfan
09-09-2016, 12:35 PM
Heck yeah, go two days early !! hahaa..... I like the idea of Morimoto's too !! That place is awesome !!

Arielfan98
09-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Personally I prefer the spaghetti and meatballs at the ASMusic Food Court :blush: It's the meal I order every time I arrive off the plane for lunch.

Isabella
09-14-2016, 07:28 PM
And a definite yes to Kona Café! It is a must do for us when we go. I love their lunch special, I get the Teriyaki steak and it comes with yummy Hawaiian pasta salad and sticky rice. Yes, It's heavy on the carbs, but ohhhhh it is so good!

What is a Zebra Dome?

ANG
09-20-2016, 01:51 PM
If I was by myself and wanted to relax I'd choose the Grand Floridian Café or Kona Cafe

JanetMegan
09-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Just wanted to circle back and thank everyone for the suggestions. I actually tried to make a lunch ADR on the way down for Morimoto and couldn't get one. I was afraid to go all the way to Disney Springs without an ADR so I ended up having a nice lunch of dumplings and sushi roll at Kona Cafe. I did some pin trading and walked around the resort before checking in at our hotel.

lawgirl
09-30-2016, 05:58 PM
That sounds amazing...I wish I had the luxury of doing that! I would go with Sanaa I think. Its always been one of my favorites.

LandFan
10-13-2016, 02:19 PM
My fav lunch is at the extremely beautiful Sanaa at AKL-Kidani! I usually get a bunch of their awesome apps (the shrimp and the lamb sliders are amazing along with their large bread service with tons of dips to try) and watch the safari animals outside the window. There is nothing like eating lunch while watching giraffes and Ankole cattle walk by...

Jared
10-16-2016, 08:53 PM
The lounge at Sanaa, for sure. Probably the best bar on property. There won't be a wait at lunchtime, the food is great and you get to hang out at Animal Kingdom Lodge before or after your meal.

MrPeetrie
10-17-2016, 08:25 AM
When we get to Disneyworld we always go to Earl of Sandwich for lunch but one time we did Wolfgang Puck Express and it was good too. Both are in Disney Springs.

I agree with both of these!

sleepydog5
12-07-2016, 04:00 PM
While an older thread, I'll toss in my opinions in case someone else comes along.
Morimoto Asia - nice vibe, good food, good wine list
Sanaa - best bread service in the World, though it's non-traditional; good wine and drink list
Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar - good drinks, good wine, and a solid bar food menu
Paradiso 37 - Excellent guacamole and a fine drink list

JanetMegan
12-08-2016, 09:28 AM
I appreciate you chiming in, I'm headed back down next week for another "Perfect Lunch"!

lawgirl
12-30-2016, 02:29 PM
I'd definitely go with Kona Cafe or Sanaa. We just got back and had excellent meals at both. Not to rain on the Morimoto parade, but we had a terrible experience there about 2 weeks ago. Our food was very blah- we love any kind of Asian, spicy food, and had high expectations. Very disappointed. The biggest issue was the kids meal- my little boy was served pretty much raw chicken nuggets- thank God my mom cut into them before he started eating them. They were pink...very pink on the inside. Thankfully the manager came right away, apologized, and took 30% off of our bill. But this mama did not enjoy the stress of the thought of my little one eating undercooked (and I mean it was pink and mushy, ugh!) chicken. That would have ended very badly! But Kona and Sanaa were both top notch. Also really enjoy The Wave at the CR. Sounds so lovely to grab a quiet lunch alone!