PDA

View Full Version : End of August Weather

Ally'sMom
08-16-2016, 09:59 PM
I have been looking at a lot of weather reports for the end of August and they all say afternoon thunderstorms - my question is does this happen everyday and do they last for the whole afternoon? I am not sure how to plan, I have the rain ponchos packed and ready to go:mickey:

joonyer
08-16-2016, 10:29 PM
Thundershowers and/or rain is a distinct probability almost every day in the summer in central Florida.
But they usually don't last for long; sometimes only 15-30 minutes and then its sunshine and hot and steamy again. The showers do help clear out crowds though, so its best to be prepared for rain and stay and enjoy the parks.

DonaldDuck1117
08-17-2016, 12:02 AM
Usually the storms don't last long in the summer. Usually you can duck into a show/space mountain and by the time you get out it is mostly over. However, sometimes they are stubborn and will just sit over WDW. We just put our poncho on and keep going.

faline
08-17-2016, 07:21 AM
You can almost guarantee there will be an afternoon storm somewhere in August. Some can be pretty intense but, like others have said, they are usually quickly over. Be prepared to duck into a store or restaurant for a bit for the heavier rainfalls.

Strmchsr
08-17-2016, 10:35 AM
One thing about Florida summer thunderstorms - usually they have very heavy lightning. If it's just rain, put on your poncho and keep going, but if there's lightning go inside and wait it out. Lightning kills more than tornadoes and hurricanes combined. If you can hear thunder, lightning can hit so it's best to just go inside until it's over, which is generally less than an hour. It varies from week to week (so check the weather forecast thread) but in general your chance of seeing one of these storms on a given afternoon is around 40%.

#1donaldfan
08-17-2016, 12:19 PM
We have been there so many times in August and yes it RAINS !!! We've been caught many times and had to walk through "deep" water (over the shoes) ... so, take along some pool shoes or flip flops to put on and have fun !!

Arielfan98
08-18-2016, 12:19 AM
From my experience of going to Disney vacations in late August, the thunderstorms/rainstorms are very harsh but short. I would say there's only been 1 or two times within a 5 year span of going at this time of year where we had to "wait it out". We always packed our ponchos ready to go. And don't forget to stay cool, it's very humid in August!