PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West

disneydoug
08-02-2016, 09:09 AM
I have never stayed at OKW. We will stay in a villa there in September before the cruise. I know nothing about it. Any info on rooms, pools and food choices is appreciated. Thank you

faline
08-02-2016, 09:38 AM
We've stayed at Old Key West several times. The resort is rather spread out but there is an internal bus that runs through the resort. The main area is at Hospitality House where you will find a table service (Olivia's)restaurant (Basic food - not extraordinary but good); check-in; a shop; a very small lounge; a small quick serve location; boat service to Disney Springs; and the main pool.

Rooms / villas are among the largest on Disney property as this was the first vacation club resort.

All park transportation is via bus and, depending on where you are staying within the resort, you may have several in-resort stops before heading to the park and/or before arriving at your section of the resort. There is boat transportation to and from Disney Springs.

DizneyRox
08-02-2016, 07:46 PM
One of the best resorts Disney runs... Olivia's is a little gem, usually don't even need an ADR. Most everything else has been mentioned. Getting around takes a day or two to get used to. Learning which bus to grab to get to the Hospitality House from your stop, or when it's better to get off at an earlier stop and walk to get to your room rather than waiting on the bus for your stop.

My son asks to stay there now. We had to bribe him to pick a different resort last time.

disneydoug
08-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Thank you very much!!!!!!!

ThanxForNoticin
08-03-2016, 12:59 PM
We agree with most of the comments here - still one of our favorite Disney resorts. The rooms, the "feel" of the resort, and the service - always have us going back when we can.

Simba's Mom
08-03-2016, 03:37 PM
We also love OKW, to the point where, after our first stay there, we sold our DVC points at another resort so we could own there. Love the casual vibe, the ability to park in front of your condo, just the overall feeling that you're at a home, not a hotel. However, the best feeling you can get is by staying, not just passing through-we drove through there several years before we stayed there and were glad we weren't staying there. So when we stayed there a few years later, it was because it was the only place available on such short notice and we were disappointed that we'd have to stay at OKW. Were we in for a VERY pleasant surprise! Huge villas, too.

Crow
08-03-2016, 05:29 PM
stayed there for the first time last time renting points. didnt want a one bedroom but that was what was available. we got a one bedroom right by the river. awesome..patio, full kitchen..hot tub. nice bed. id stay there again. they have a gameroom we played foosball for free. the gurgling suitcase is really small. had a drink there. didnt try olivias cause we bought some food to cook from the giftshop.

Ed
08-04-2016, 12:33 PM
OKW is probably our favorite on-property DVC resort, even though it's not one of our "home" resorts. As previously mentioned, it was the first DVC resort built, and the units are considerably larger than the more recently built resorts. The grounds are beautiful, and there are four pools to choose from. We. too, will be staying there for a week in September, and are qnxiously looking forward to it.

disneydoug
08-07-2016, 08:25 AM
Thank you all so much!!!!!!!! Doug

Jforrest2
08-07-2016, 08:59 AM
We are staying there for the first time in October. Glad to see all of the positive comments!

RAIDER
08-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Believe it or not I am in the dvc and my home is BLT ...but I love OKW much more...
OKW have the best sized rooms and it's so idyllic and easy access to DS either by boat or car ..
Easy access to lbv shops
Olivia's is a great restaurant with the best Cobb salad on the planet
You can't go wrong
Have a great trip