PDA

View Full Version : Resorts Walking Distance to a Park?

VacationDisney
06-07-2016, 11:11 AM
What resorts can one stay at and be within walking distance to a park?

I think the Contemporary is walking distance to Magic Kingdom? I might be wrong on that so feel free to call me out on that. We are considering staying at a resort, for the first time. that will allow us the opportunity of just walking to a park. I know that, for instance, the value resorts would not fall under this category & AKL.

We are curious and look forward to the options that might be available to us!

Thanks in advance for your help. Planning ahead for 2017 :cloud9:

BrerGnat
06-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Boardwalk, Beach Club/Yacht Club and Swan/Dolphin are walkable easily to Epcot, and also Studios (but it's a bit longer of a walk).

Contemporary is walkable to MK. It's a short walk along a sidewalk that runs parallel to the bus depot.

Saratoga Springs is walkable to Disney Springs.

That is all.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Just want to put my two cents in and say we loved the Yacht Club not only was the resort great but it is so nice to walk into the back gate of Epcot in less than five minutes.

VacationDisney
06-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Thank you both for your help! MississippiDisneyFreak appreciate your 2 cents..LOL.

Looks like Boardwalk or Yacht Club....here we come!!!!!

azcavalier
06-07-2016, 01:06 PM
If you're thinking Yacht Club, I would actually take a closer look at Beach Club. Yeah, they're right next to each other, but Beach Club is the one closer to Epcot's International Gateway entrance. And the Beach Club pool....wow. You can also use the pool if you stay at the Yacht Club, but it's still more of a walk.

We stayed at Beach Club once, and got one of the rooms along the sidewalk to Epcot. It was AMAZING. We were actually closer to the Epcot gate than the front desk.

Maleficent_vf
06-07-2016, 01:44 PM
I'd vote for Boardwalk. We've stayed there numerous times and love it. But I don't think you can go wrong with Yacht or Beach Club. Being able to walk to EPCOT is wonderful. While the stroll to DHS is longer, it can be nice and very peaceful after a long day in a crowded park.

baldburke
06-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Contemporary, Poly and GF are all "walkable" from MK, but the question is would you want to? The Contemprary is the easiest at about 10-15 minutes. We've walked to the Poly from MK before too, but the question is would you want to? For our walk to the Poly we wanted to take our time and meander through the GF on our way back. However if it's summer at say 11pm and still 80+ after a full day of parks then do you really want to take that walk even if it is just 10 minutes to the Contemporary?

The Epcot resorts may be a different story. Some of those walks from those walks from the park to your bus stop can be upwards of 10 to 15 minutes themselves. Someone once told me that Disney originally planned the Epcot lots to be the TTC as opposed to MK. I suppose it wasn't logistically ideal to have to shuttle all guests to MK via monorail?

ThanxForNoticin
06-08-2016, 12:43 PM
Walking from MK to Poly is a pretty long trek by way of CR. Walking to the GF would be even longer, since you need to walk all the way around the lake clock-wise from MK to get to GF. There's a canal between MK and GF that prevents walkers from getting through!

We really like the walk from MK to CR. Some nights, it seems easier to walk than it is to go the other direction to pick up the monorail and ride.

SBETigg
06-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Whoa, Baldburke, how did you walk from the MK to the Poly? There is no walkway to accomplish this. From MK to GF, there is a canal (where they store the Electric Water Pageant) that you can't walk through, no bridge. From Contemporary to TTC, there is a water way, not bridged for guests to cross. So. I'm wondering how this was possible? Something I missed? Thanks.

deedee73
06-08-2016, 03:19 PM
I wondered the same thing about walking from POLY through GF to MK...all I could picture was the EWP floats that I always look for while riding the monorail.

I know there is a way to walk from CR to the TTC/POLY but it is along the actual roadways not a walking path and it would be a major trek for the average person. The only reason I know this is bc we were at the CR very late after monorail stopped running for the night due to issues and bc the parks were closed (late fall with early closures) when we approached a CM regarding getting home (private party at CR) he remarked that we had a few options - walking, cab or that he would call for Disney transportation to come get us and drop us back off at the TTC. The driver actually did take us the entire way to the resort though. I have always thought that Disney should have buses to and from at least some of the resorts to other resorts especially those with major restaurant venues but I digress.

SBETigg
06-08-2016, 03:47 PM
I know there is a way to walk from CR to the TTC/POLY but it is along the actual roadways not a walking path and it would be a major trek for the average person. The only reason I know this is bc we were at the CR very late after monorail stopped running for the night due to issues and bc the parks were closed (late fall with early closures) when we approached a CM regarding getting home (private party at CR) he remarked that we had a few options - walking, cab or that he would call for Disney transportation to come get us and drop us back off at the TTC.

But isn't that a major roadway with no sidewalks and therefore very dangerous?

deedee73
06-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Yeah.. which is why the CM said it in a half kidding manner but I'm sure people have tried it. I would say we waited 15 minutes or so for a ride back to the resort which wasn't bad.

I actually think they forgot tht a private party was going on with people that would have to get back to other resorts.

baldburke
06-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Y'all may be right... I think we tried to walk the path but turned back because it ended. So we walked back and took the boat to GF, walked through and back to the Poly. We almost made it the whole way!

SBETigg
06-09-2016, 10:53 AM
Y'all may be right... I think we tried to walk the path but turned back because it ended. So we walked back and took the boat to GF, walked through and back to the Poly. We almost made it the whole way!

Sounds like it could the case. It is a nice walk from the GF to the Poly, though I haven't made it recently.

ThanxForNoticin
06-09-2016, 11:53 AM
Sounds like it could the case. It is a nice walk from the GF to the Poly, though I haven't made it recently.

You are right - that really is a very nice walk. I always thought it a shame they couldn't figure out a way to connect that path from MK to GF and beyond. Seems like a moveable bridge might work, for the very few times boats go into and out of that canal. But I guess they don't feel it's worth the cost and effort. I know people would walk back at times - might offset a little of the monorail and boat traffic at times.