PDA

View Full Version : Poly Monorail

IMADisneyFreak
05-31-2016, 06:24 PM
Hey All! I have a question about the monorail stopping at the Polynesian. I know that it stops at the Poly when boarding at the TTC. But when boarding from the Magic Kingdom does the monorail stop at the Poly or go straight to the TTC? We are planning to stay at the Polynesian for the first time and I am trying to determine if we should get a room which is closer to the TTC or if we can get one closer to the pool and restaurants (but only if it stops on the way back from the MK). I am guessing that it does stop but I cannot recall based on the few times we visited the Poly. :thumbsup:

VWL Mom
05-31-2016, 06:49 PM
The resort monorail stops at the 3 hotels and the TTC. The express monorail stops at the TTC only.

IMADisneyFreak
05-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Ah, that was the part I was missing but now I realize my mistake. So if we boarded the resort monorail at the MK it would take us to the Contemporary, then the TTC and then the Poly.

Thanks!

SBETigg
06-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Yes, boarding the resort monorail at the MK, your stops would be Contemporary, TTC, Poly, and Grand Floridian and back to MK if you didn't step off at Poly. There's also the boat launch that goes from Poly to MK to GF and back to Poly. I prefer rooms next to the Great Ceremonial House for convenience but my recent stay put us closer to the TTC and that was also very handy, especially when heading to Epcot because we could catch the Epcot monorail without getting on the resort monorail and switching.

IMADisneyFreak
06-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Yes, boarding the resort monorail at the MK, your stops would be Contemporary, TTC, Poly, and Grand Floridian and back to MK if you didn't step off at Poly. There's also the boat launch that goes from Poly to MK to GF and back to Poly. I prefer rooms next to the Great Ceremonial House for convenience but my recent stay put us closer to the TTC and that was also very handy, especially when heading to Epcot because we could catch the Epcot monorail without getting on the resort monorail and switching.

Thanks SBETigg! That was going to be one of my next questions as I was wondering about the boat ride across from MK. Which would be quicker? The boat ride from MK to GF then to Poly or just jump on the monorail? Is there really any difference in the time frame or is it all just dependent on the amount of people?

And thanks for the info on your room preference. I was looking at Rarotonga since it was close to the main building for restaurants, the main pool, the monorail and a short walk to the TTC. Or is the map deceiving?

Fangorn
06-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Boat vs Monorail is always a "it depends" kind of thing. The boats can be quicker (and certainly more relaxing) if there's a very short line waiting for them. The monorails can hold a lot of people and are more frequent than the boats. You'll have to judge it for yourself at the time of travel.

Rarotonga is a short walk to the TTC. Definitely less than 5 minutes. We stayed in Tokelau in December and pretty much always used TTC for all monorail activities, unless we were already in the Great Ceremonial house. When leaving the MK we would check out both the resort monorail and the express to gauge the approx. wait time. Often, taking the express to the TTC, even though it had a longer line, was faster to the TTC than the resort monorail which was a bit less frequent and made that stop at the Contemporary. In either case, we'd get off at the TTC and walk to our room.

Steve

SBETigg
06-01-2016, 09:59 PM
Rarotonga is a good location, closer to the Great Ceremonial House but not really a far walk from the TTC. The resort isn't really all that big. It doesn't take long to walk from one point to another. The boat can be faster or slower, depending. We usually boat to MK and monorail back, but sometimes the boat seems a more pleasant way to go. And the monorail isn't always the most reliable lately. Last week, it was shut down one afternoon unexpectedly, and other times experienced some "holding" on the track which delayed us.

deedee73
06-01-2016, 11:46 PM
As others have already stated timing is relative to crowds, if the boat or monorail is in station read to depart or if you are waiting for it. We generally asked for longhouse closer to the beach/marina so we generally felt the boat was faster than the walk to the GCH then to the monorail and then to the destination. We had a longhouse 2x very close to the TTC so we would just walk there and take the express monorail back and forth.

IMADisneyFreak
06-02-2016, 12:17 PM
Much appreciated! Thanks to all for your insight, especially with the monorail. I never even considered taking the Express but it makes sense since it goes directly to the TTC which is so close to Poly!