PDA

View Full Version : O'Hana Question

madhatterrules
05-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Has anyone been to O'Hana recently for dinner? And can you tell me about the meats that were served. Were they in sauces? Was the chicken white breast meat or dark meat?

I saw a review recently that said the meats had changed and were not as good of quality as they used to be so I wanted to get some opinions before booking a reservation. Thanks

PopPhan
05-12-2016, 02:28 PM
It has been a year since I last ate at 'Ohana (NOT O'Hana! It is Hawaiian, not Irish!! LOL)

The meats are brought to the tables on skewers and are not in sauce. They are marinated before/during grilling. The chicken was all white (breast?) meat.

mydisneygirls
05-12-2016, 02:35 PM
We were there last August and as usual, we LOVED it. The meats are marinated but I believe the sauce is served on the side (we don't use the sauce so I didn't pay much attention to them). They switched the pork out and replaced it with chicken which is white meat. The still have the shrimp and steak tips. We will definitely be going this August as it's one of our favorite meals. As for not being as good as it used to be.....I wouldn't agree. I think it's as good as it has always been and we've been going for about 18 years!!!

BrerGnat
05-12-2016, 05:36 PM
I have heard they switched to dark meat chicken VERY recently. Like, in the past month.

deedee73
05-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Oh - dark chicken meat - I hope not. I despise dark meat.

BrerGnat
05-12-2016, 07:30 PM
Oh - dark chicken meat - I hope not. I despise dark meat.

Me too. :(

madhatterrules
05-13-2016, 08:35 AM
I hate dark meat too, so that may sway my decision. If anyone has been there in May let me know.

SurferStitch
05-13-2016, 11:55 AM
I loved the pork, so I was sad to see that go. I love the shrimp, and eat mostly that. I only eat white meat chicken (breast). Change it to dark meat, and I'm done with 'Ohana.

I've always found the steak to be way too fatty for my liking. I do love all of the veggies and sauces, but also miss the potatoes. The noodles are very good, but I preferred the taters.

i'm grumpy
05-13-2016, 02:18 PM
I have heard they switched to dark meat chicken VERY recently. Like, in the past month.

:ack:

mydisneygirls
05-17-2016, 12:48 PM
I just read a review that chicken thighs were being served. I generally just eat the shrimp and meat, but I'll give it a try since I like them. Should be interesting to see how they're served.

BrerGnat
05-17-2016, 03:24 PM
I just read a review that chicken thighs were being served. I generally just eat the shrimp and meat, but I'll give it a try since I like them. Should be interesting to see how they're served.

They are still on skewers. Just thigh meat chunks rather than breast meat chunks.

mydisneygirls
05-17-2016, 03:43 PM
They are still on skewers. Just thigh meat chunks rather than breast meat chunks.

Ohhh. Thanks!

SurferStitch
05-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Sounds like straight forward cost cutting to increase profits. No thanks.

madhatterrules
05-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the confirmations.

We have decided to opt out this trip, the chicken breast was our favorite. Switched reservation to Captain's Grill.

We are going to Kona Café on this trip so we will still get to go to the Poly one night.

Bay Lake
05-18-2016, 02:34 PM
To be honest, thigh meat holds the moisture in the meat better than the breast meat.

BrerGnat
05-18-2016, 03:45 PM
To be honest, thigh meat holds the moisture in the meat better than the breast meat.

That's true, but the flavor and texture are very different. I find thigh meat to be often rubbery and it has a gamey taste to me. Not everyone likes "moist" chicken. Our family prefers our chicken breast dry, almost overcooked. Maybe that comes from some bad food poisoning experiences with undercooked chicken. Steak is a different story...we love it medium rare!

VWL Mom
05-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Just ate there this week and it was white meat on the skewers. Also still serving steak and shrimp. As far as the sauces there was sweet and sour and peanut sauce.

BrerGnat
05-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Maybe the dark meat was a temporary supply issue or a test.

SurferStitch
05-20-2016, 11:52 AM

We have decided to opt out this trip, the chicken breast was our favorite. Switched reservation to Captain's Grill.

We are going to Kona Café on this trip so we will still get to go to the Poly one night.

We booked a last-minute dinner ADR at Captain's Grill in December. We stayed at YC, and cancelled another dinner to dine there.

While we loved breakfast there almost every day, we never tried dinner. Wow!! We were so pleasantly surprised!! The food was fantastic, and on par with signature meals. I had some of the best crab cakes ever!! It was the last night of our trip, and such a relaxing way to wind down.

BrerGnat
05-20-2016, 01:16 PM

Captain's Grill is truly a hidden gem!