PDA

View Full Version : Driving from PA to WDW

twostep
04-19-2016, 01:54 PM
We will be making the drive from Pennsylvania to Florida in December for our first WDW trip as a family. My oldest DD really wants to go to a Florida beach. My questions are:

For anyone that has made the drive (I think we'll come all the way down I-95), are there any beach towns that we will drive through or that will not put us too far out of our way?

Is it generally warm enough in December to go to a beach for a few hours?

We will be arriving on a Friday and check in isn't until 4:00 so we should have some time to kill and we aren't planning on doing any parks that first day.

CleveSJM
04-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Done that drive from Northeast Ohio about 20 times.

Daytona Beach is a classic Florida beach not far out of the way at all. Ormond Beach and St. Augustine beach are two other options we like.

December can be good and bad. Couple hours, sure, unless a storm is really rolling through.

You can check-in anytime so don't worry about killing time outside Disney, especially if you are driving and can leave your bags in the car. Your room may be ready very early and you can kill time on property. We do that and relax at the pool, boardwalk, Disney Springs, anywhere...

PopPhan
04-19-2016, 03:29 PM
If nothing else, you could go over to A1A (Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island) and drive south along the coast once you cross into Florida if you like the scenic route. It might be a much longer and slower trip, but the coastal drive is a nice change of pace. A lot of historical points along the ride.

Just head west once you get to Daytona Beach and you can pick up I-4 toward Orlando.

magicofdisney
04-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Having lived here my whole life, I prefer the beaches on the Gulf coast. They're warmer and calmer with clearer waters, generally speaking (I'd avoid Cedar Key). It's definitely out of the way to hit those beaches, however. My favorite, of the ones I've visited, is Longboat Key.

PopPhan
04-19-2016, 03:57 PM
Longboat is nice, as is Anna Maria Island. Agreed that Gulf beaches are nicer, but someone driving down from PA would have a really long day trying to hit them on their way to WDW. :)

BrowncatP
04-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Don't forget to stop at the BIG tourist trap of South of the Boarder. Better to skip it-really!

Jack Skellington
04-20-2016, 12:09 PM
We took a trip over to Melbourne beach and it was very nice, yes it is on the ocean side, but its nice to hear and see the big waves coming in. Probably a 1:45 drive, but less touristy and crowded than Cocoa Beach.

We had a wonderful time there.

If you want more touristy and to visit the RonJon shop, hit cocoa beach which is super close to Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center.

JS:mickey:

Speedy1998
04-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Is it generally warm enough in December to go to a beach for a few hours?

Maybe, Maybe not. Florida weather can be pretty unpredictable in the winter. I have been to Disney in December when the high was only 30 degrees, and I have also been in Dewcember when I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt with a high in the mid 80's.

We will be arriving on a Friday and check in isn't until 4:00 so we should have some time to kill and we aren't planning on doing any parks that first day.
You did not say if you were staying at a Disney resort. If you are the concierge can hold your luggage and have it delivered to your room if you arrive before check-in (assuming the room is not already available).