PDA

View Full Version : First Trip this May

mook3y
04-13-2016, 02:11 PM
Hey all.

Just booked a 3 night stay at Portofino Bay.

We are staying Monday 23 - Thursday 26th.

A couple of question.

1) how is cell service for AT&T around the resort and in the parks? Anyone happen to have AT&T and know? I might have to do some work while I am there and wanting to know if I might be able to use cellular to connect or if I will have to go back to the hotel and use their wifi.

2) We have seen the blue man group traveling show. Is it going to pretty much the same show, or does having their own theatre add a lot to the show?

3) Anything else that we should not miss in the area? We have been to Orlando several times, but this will be our first trip where we will actually not be at Disney for the entire trip. We have 3 kids, 7,11 and 13.

4) Since were staying onsite, not worried about getting to see everything we want to in the parks. But any hidden or off the beaten path things we should make sure to watch out for?

5) Would be interested in hearing about any unique dining experiences we shouldn't miss too.

Thanks in advance!!!

Strmchsr
04-14-2016, 01:12 PM
I have ATT and it worked fine at Universal. No issues.

The Blue Man show is unique to this location and it's a ton of fun. Definitely recommend.

Sea World is worth a day, too. Maybe Legoland depending on the interest of your kids in that.

It's hard for me to say about unique dining experiences at Universal. Honestly, I didn't see any. That was my only real disappointment comparing Universal to Disney. BUT, as a caveat, I live in a tourist area so pretty much everything at Universal I have around me here. Something not unique to me might be great for you.

mook3y
04-18-2016, 10:18 PM
Thanks Strmchsr.

Thanks for the info!

Now... whats the weather going to be like then! ;)

lol

Mook3y

Crow
04-20-2016, 08:25 PM
ATT worked fine for me. BLue Man i saw here and in Vegas. some of the things seemed the same. my gf saw it in vegas w me and loved it so she will prob want to see it in Orlando when we go next. the best dining was cowburger w sushi and burger and the pixxa place by it that was really good. had bfast at...one of the Potter places in Diagon Alley. it was ok nothing special.

mook3y
04-25-2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the responses!

Really glad to hear at&T works good in the area. we have horrible luck at POR at WDW.

We were able to get some pretty good seats to Blue Man Group. 3 rows behind the preferred seating in the middle. Can't wait!

Still deciding what to do with the extra day. Since we are moving back to California in July, I think we are leaning towards going to port canaveral. Let the kids see the Atlantic ocean and the Pacific in 1 summer!

DD11 is a total potterhead, so will definitely have to stop in to the Harry Potter eateries.

We are also going to show up first thing to Ollivander's so hopefully she gets picked.

Can't wait!

MizMissy
04-26-2016, 08:34 AM
Have a great trip! It should not be terribly crowded. Still early enough that most kids are still in school and it's before the holiday weekend.
We were there in February with no trouble at all with AT&T.
My kids did not buy wands this trip (they are getting older and we bought wands on the first two trips), however, I think this year would have been the time to buy a wand. They now have a lot of interactive areas to use the wands and we watched a lot of kids/adults having fun with it. Do not miss Knockturn Alley. It was pretty neat and you felt like you were off the beaten path (well, we did early in the morning when everyone else was in a mad rush for Gringotts ride). There is a interactive dancing skeleton that looked like fun outside of Borgin and Burke's gift shop.

Strmchsr
04-26-2016, 02:12 PM
Now... whats the weather going to be like then! ;)

Not quite close enough to tell just yet but I promise I'll have you covered starting in a couple of weeks!