PDA

View Full Version : Ocean with shells

Catzle
04-11-2016, 09:12 PM
We are thinking of taking a day and going to the beach but want a natural beach where we can find shells. Best one near Disney for shelling?

joonyer
04-12-2016, 10:22 AM
I think the shelling of the Gulf beaches is much better than the Atlantic beaches, but they are further away from Orlando. The best shelling is at Sanibel/Captiva Islands, but they are a long way from Disney; 3.5 hours or so. The beaches from Clearwater down to Sarasota are only about 2 hours drive, all of them are beautiful. For a place away from the big developments (hotels & condos), I would suggest Fort Desoto Park near St. Petersburg. It has good shelling, beautiful sand, and nice facilities for a day trip, picnic areas restrooms, etc. It's been ranked among the best beaches in Florida. It's about 105 miles from Disney World. 50 cents toll for the bridge and $5.00 for parking. There's a campground, but no hotels.

CleveSJM
04-12-2016, 02:17 PM
I have to agree with joonyer. Go gulf coast and take a full day. The two+ hours would be worth it. We love finding petrified sharks teeth as well. Beach's from Venice south to Englewood have lots of teeth and shells. Boca Grande has been great for shells for us. Sanibel and Captiva are the best though.