PDA

View Full Version : charging to magic bands

jpmsrivers
03-30-2016, 09:52 AM
Is there a hold placed on your debit/credit card when it is applied to your magic band for charging purposes? I plan to pay my balance with cash, but wanted to be able to charge to my magic band while there. Can someone explain how this works? Thanks a bunch!

WiltonJohn
03-30-2016, 11:41 AM
My understanding is that the Magic Band actually is just an RFID id tag (that apparently also broadcasts rather than os totally passive). All it has "on it" is an ID # that links to "you" and your information in the Disney main computer system. And hence to the credit card that you have linked to your room reservation/account.

Not sure how that works for non on-property Guests.

I can say it has worked flawlessly for us on two trips now.

best,

...................john

BrerGnat
03-30-2016, 11:45 AM
If you use a debit card they will place a hold on it. They don't do so with a credit card (they run a $1 pending charge through as a hold). You can pay your balance in cash as you please. I would recommend doing so very frequently, like daily, so they won't charge it off before you have a chance.

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-30-2016, 08:48 PM
I think there are two ways to go about this. The first, is to place the credit card on file, and they pay off the balance before the charge it (the evening before you check-out, or when you reach the limit, which is $500 at values, $1000 and moderates and $1500 at deluxes). Or, you can put the cash itself down, and then charge against the cash balance.

I usually do the first, place the card on file, and then every couple of days check the charges and pay them off with cash.

Fangorn
03-30-2016, 10:03 PM
As mentioned, you can put cash on your account up front and create a credit balance. You can then use your magic band for purchases up to that amount. You can get a print out of all your charges anytime you want, by stopping by the front desk and asking for one. It's always a good idea to periodically check your account anyway, just in case there's an erroneous charge (it does happen).

Steve

TheHD
04-02-2016, 12:31 PM
Also, if I'm not mistaken, if you're there longer than seven days I believe, they will charge your credit card total more than once. On our last trip of 10 days, we had two separate credit card charges and I believe the first charge was after seven days. We did not go down and pay off the total each day or every-other-day either.

BrerGnat
04-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Also, if I'm not mistaken, if you're there longer than seven days I believe, they will charge your credit card total more than once. On our last trip of 10 days, we had two separate credit card charges and I believe the first charge was after seven days. We did not go down and pay off the total each day or every-other-day either.

They charge off as soon as you hit a certain threshold. $500 at Value Resorts, $1000 at moderates, $1500 at Deluxes. It may have been that you reached the limit at the 7 day point and that was charged off.

Euby
04-07-2016, 03:06 AM
Has anyone had experience with this when staying off property?

jpmsrivers
04-07-2016, 09:02 AM
Thanks a bunch for your help! I didn't know I could use cash. I believe since I plan to pay in cash anyway I will use that method.

One more question...does everyone in the room with you have charging privileges? Or can we set up who gets to charge with magicband?

Fangorn
04-07-2016, 09:37 AM
One more question...does everyone in the room with you have charging privileges? Or can we set up who gets to charge with magicband?

By default, everyone in the room has charging privileges. You can, however, tailor those privileges to meet your needs. They can even set it up so that charges for a specific guest are charged to a specific credit card - great if you have friends sharing the same room. You can also have them remove those privileges entirely from a given individual. You need to go to the front desk to do this.

Steve

allgiggles
04-09-2016, 08:31 PM
Just an FYI, resort charging limits were increased about a year ago. They are now Values & Moderates: $1,500 and Deluxe: $2,000. Most resorts will charge the card well before the limit is reached so the guest doesn't have their room charge declined while out in the park (though it only takes a phone call from the cashier to the resort to get that taken care of). If you want to pay your balance in cash it's best to stop at the front desk and pay down the balance a few times during your stay.

Euby
04-11-2016, 05:16 AM
If you are staying off-property, can you attach a credit card to your magic band to use for expenses within the park?

allgiggles
04-11-2016, 07:57 AM
If you are staying off-property, can you attach a credit card to your magic band to use for expenses within the park?

No, using your magic band to pay for expenses is only available for those guests staying on property. The card isn't actually attached to the magic band, it's on file at your resort. When you use the magic band to make charges, you're simply making a charge back to your room.

ThanxForNoticin
04-11-2016, 12:27 PM
I have to laugh when I think about the use of magic bands to charge everything back to the room.... Over the last couple years, we've had occasional issues with the magic band not working right as a key to our room, not working right as our ticket to the park, and not working right with FP+. But we have NEVER had a problem with it working when we are buying something and charging it to the room!! Funny how that part of the technology seems to work perfectly for Disney - perhaps that was the priority when setting it up! When we're charging, they scan the band, we enter our pin, and we are on our way!