PDA

View Full Version : Young Toddler Accomodations and tips (poly)

merryc17
03-29-2016, 02:39 PM
It's hard to believe that it's getting so close, but we are approaching our June trip! We will be traveling with our (then) 18 month old. While he is a crummy sleeper in general, it dawned on me that he might get no sleep while we're there. We are staying in one of the newer Poly suites, and was wondering what accomodations there are? He's too young for the awesome trundle bed. Are there still pack and plays in each room? Any families have suggestions about traveling (for the first time) with the little guy? I'm getting nervous now!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Are you staying in one of the DVC studios? If so, I think the double bathroom will be awesome for you. When DD was little, we would get a pack and play (I'm not 100% sure if you have to request one, or if it will be in the cupboard already) and tuck it into the bathroom area. We could keep it pretty dark and quiet while still being able to move around the room as "grown-ups".

Otherwise, DD was also a rotten sleeper, but Disney tires them out. There is just so much going on that it was the one place she usually slept really well.

dobby2010
03-29-2016, 06:00 PM
It's hard to believe that it's getting so close, but we are approaching our June trip! We will be traveling with our (then) 18 month old. While he is a crummy sleeper in general, it dawned on me that he might get no sleep while we're there. We are staying in one of the newer Poly suites, and was wondering what accomodations there are? He's too young for the awesome trundle bed. Are there still pack and plays in each room? Any families have suggestions about traveling (for the first time) with the little guy? I'm getting nervous now!

We traveled when my son was 26months, and he still slept in a crib. We rented a full sized crib from Orlando Crib Rentals. It was super easy, they brought it right to the room and set it up. We flew southwest so had free luggage and brought his bedding and sound machine from home. It was a little cramped in the room with a full sized crib but it worked well.

Fangorn
03-29-2016, 06:22 PM
If you're staying in the Poly DVC studios, then there is a Pack N Play in the room already. And there is a lot of space for all the baby stuff without it being in the way. The layout of the rooms is really well thought out.

Steve

Jeff T
04-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Always to nice to see families bring their young children to Disney World. We are annual guests and started bringing each of our boys when they were only 1 year old. We have visited Disney each year for the past 17 years since 1999. During all those years and countless days and nights at Disney, we learned how now be best navigate the parks with our kids.

You are staying at a great resort which offers all the services you need to ensure your family has a great vacation. The best advice I can give is to be patient and flexible. Disney wants us to plan everything we do while visiting the parks, however you can't always count on your kids following the plan. The weather will be hot in June, so staying out of the direct sun and heat is important. To do so, take frequent breaks, eat a snack and have a drink. There are plenty of places to take a quick break, cool off and relax in the parks. If necessary, go back to the Poly at mid-day for a swim or a short nap, then head back to the park for dinner and an evening of fun.

To end the day, consider a warm bath, glass of milk and the Disney music channel to help get your toddler to sleep. I recall many nights falling asleep with the TV playing a relaxing Disney song.

To this day I have great memories of our vacations at Disney when our boys were so young.

Have a great vacation!

Eric87
04-18-2016, 10:23 AM
Our outing with little ones is definitely a big change from the norm, if the norm was going wire to wire and park hopping. We've been down with our daughter back in 2011 when she was 20 months and it was awesome!! She was pretty good with sleeping, but she was an early riser, which was nice that way we always made rope drop which didn't always before. We dropped the park hopping that first trip with her and don't miss it at all. I feel like with little ones you really slow down and enjoy the ambience more. We utilized the child swap every chance and when she was awake, we took her on everything she could and started letting her pick rides she liked, and didn't worry if we did small world 3-4 times in a day. The look on her face was priceless. We brought our own stroller. It was a nice jogging stroller. It made for a smoother ride and it was plenty roomy for naps. You may want to nap at the resort with it being the middle of summer, but we hated trying to force her naps. We would notice her getting tired and would just stop in a counter service restaurant with AC and let her nap. Or we would spend that time shopping, as long as there was AC we stayed until she was out. We always had a backpack full of snacks, juice, and water for her. Ahead of time, we sent down a care package of food, diapers, wipes, and water. That way we didn't travel with it or pay out the nose on property for it, or lost vacation time going to get it on our own. Going down with a little one is just the greatest experience. Just take it slow and enjoy those special moments. No sure if you'll have a car, but I would suggest driving everywhere on your own, except maybe MK. It's a lot easier throwing your stroller in the trunk and going whenever your ready and not waiting on a bus with a tired crabby little guy, or an over excited can't sit still little guy. Sorry for such an unorganized post. I hope you guys have a great time!

merryc17
04-18-2016, 09:51 PM
Thank you, everyone for your thoughtful and helpful responses! Your stories and tips are making me more excited to go than I already was! I can't wait to share this experience with our little man :)