PDA

View Full Version : Disney After Hours

barnaby
03-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Think they do away with Extra Magic Hours as a perk for staying on property?

PER WDWNT (http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/03/breaking-disney-world-introducing-150-paid-after-hours-event-at-magic-kingdom/):

Disney has just announced a new paid after hours event called “Disney After Hours”.With “Disney After Hours,” guests buy a ticket and get access to The Magic Kingdom for three hours after the park closes, including select attractions and meet & greets.
Tickets go on sale April 6th for select dates in April and May only. Dates of the events are April 14th, 21st, 28th, and May 5th, 8th, 12th, & 19th. Tickets are $149 plus tax each for children or adults. At that price, we imagine space is very, very limited and lines should be almost non-existent.

VWL Mom
03-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Sorry, I just had to pick my chin up off the floor. $149 plus tax for 3 hours, seriously? I had to check my calendar to see if it was April 1st and this was an April Fools joke.

Back to your question, if this flies I'm sure they'll do away with evening EMH.

And, for anyone interested, WDWNT has posted on twitter the following:
1) they're trying to confirm if that includes a whole day in the park or just EMH
2) tickets go on sale April 6
3) event dates are Apr 14, 21, 28 and May 5, 8, 12 and 19

DizneyRox
03-21-2016, 04:16 PM
Does Mickey Mouse hold your hand while walking around the park?

Probably can't with it stuck in your pocket the whole time, but maybe!

jpmsrivers
03-21-2016, 04:23 PM
NO!!!! It takes so much to save for a Disney vacation already. And I pay the extra to stay on Disney for the perks like EMH. I would hate to think those could be lost. I sure hope this is not successful and they scrap it before my November trip. :unsure:

BrerGnat
03-21-2016, 04:27 PM
I read this was just being offered to NON RESORT guests on nights that EMH is NOT scheduled. I would have no issue with that.

missymouseworld
03-21-2016, 04:33 PM
I had to check my calendar to see if it was April 1st and this was an April Fools joke.

I agree!

It is really getting ridiculous....I know some people enjoy the special experience of tours and preferential treatment, but I think that is a bit steep for only 3 hours. (considering for example the Halloween Party is about $70.00 for an adult, but that is 5 hours)

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-21-2016, 06:27 PM
I really don't know what to think. This is too expensive for us, but if it was a truly small crowd, it will be worth it to a number of people ... multiple days of FP+ @ MK, or one night, all the headliners and some characters? I can see where it will sell.

BrerGnat
03-21-2016, 07:30 PM
Remember when this was called E Ticket nights and it cost $12?

Again, though, this appears to be marketed towards OFFSITE guests. It could be worth it if they REALLY limit ticket sales for each night to something around 5,000.

Ian
03-21-2016, 08:27 PM
Reading rumors that Disney World is rolling out a new premium after hours experience in Magic Kingdom.

Dates are rumored to be April 14th, 21st, and 28th and May 5th, 8th, 12th, and 19th. Cost is (hold on to your hats) $149 per person for three hours.

Stories are saying it includes "select attractions" (read that as "not everything will be open for your hundred and fifty bucks) and character interactions. Haven't seen anything about special fireworks or anything yet.

BrerGnat
03-21-2016, 09:00 PM
Yeah, this rumor is spreading like wildfire. I wonder how much truth there is to it as it seems to only have been reported by one person.

Nothing surprises me anymore with Disney. They are so in the hole on Shanghai that this seems like another attempt to make a quick buck to ease the pain. I mean, as long as they don't take away hours to add this, who cares right? People will pay it. Heck, Universal charges as much as $139 per person for a day worth of Express Pass in peak season. And people gladly pay that. I'm sure Disney wouldn't do this if they weren't fairly certain it would be successful.

Tekneek
03-21-2016, 10:45 PM
Remember when you could get 3 hours in MK for $12.72 per adult and $10.60 per child? Those E-ride nights were only a decade ago or so.

EeyoresBestFriend
03-21-2016, 11:16 PM
Disney is probably offering this up to off-site guests since by the time the window opens for off-site folks for FP+ booking - there is nothing left. This way, Disney gets $150 per person and these folks can get a chance to ride on the popular rides that they were unable to FP.

Why should only the resort guests get hosed financially when Disney can get everyone? :D

dlpmikki
03-22-2016, 04:19 AM
I am going to be there for some of those dates. I'll watch for updates of what it actually is if it happens but it will take a lot to get me to pay that much out. We went to the first Pirate and Princess party for $50 I think and that turned out to be good value. Don't think inflation has got the equivalent price up to $150 yet!

faline
03-22-2016, 06:52 AM
You can count me out of paying $300 (for a couple) to go to the park for a 3 hour period of time.

PopPhan
03-22-2016, 07:07 AM
I agree!

It is really getting ridiculous....I know some people enjoy the special experience of tours and preferential treatment, but I think that is a bit steep for only 3 hours. (considering for example the Halloween Party is about $70.00 for an adult, but that is 5 hours)

Hey! If this takes off, you can probably expect the parties -- MNSSHP & MVMCP -- to go up in price as well, and perhaps become more exclusive in dates and times.

It's all about the Benjamins after all!!

mgmnut
03-22-2016, 07:27 AM
You can count us out too, we normally travel as a family of 4, that would be $600.00 or $200.00 an hour, Yikes!

Like BrerGnat said, plenty of people will pay it, especially during peak seasons when you stand in line for each ride for 2 hours all day and this would give you the chance to ride more with lighter crowds.

Sounds like the rumor is that this $150.00 fee is also in addition to your regular day park admission, not for an all day and extended pass. Can anyone confirm?

Disneyfun
03-22-2016, 09:29 AM
We are going to be there for one of the dates in April. I cannot justify spending more than the price for a single day's ticket for only 3 hours in the park. Without anything else added in, I feel that this is a horrible value.

BrerGnat
03-22-2016, 09:47 AM
You know, the more I think about this, the less expensive it seems. I mean, people pay (IMO) ridiculous amounts of money for these following "experiences" every day at WDW: character meals, "dessert parties", fireworks cruises, etc. All those things run several hundred dollars for the average family. And they are, by and large, short experiences with minimal "extras."

BrerGnat
03-22-2016, 09:51 AM
It's official.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/disney-after-hours/

Details :

Event check in begins at 7pm. So, in reality, ticket holders can get up to 7 hours in the park.

Includes select bottled beverages and ice cream novelties.

Casey's Corner and Main Street Bakery will remain open for guests to purchase food and drinks.

Ticket sales will be "limited." No details on how many will be sold.

Cost is $149 per person.

SurferStitch
03-22-2016, 01:25 PM
Remember when you could get 3 hours in MK for $12.72 per adult and $10.60 per child? Those E-ride nights were only a decade ago or so.

I really miss those days!! The park was almost empty, and we did every E-night they offered each trip!!

SurferStitch
03-22-2016, 01:27 PM
It's official.

Ticket sales will be "limited." No details on how many will be sold.

Cost is $149 per person.

Limited to the number of tickets they can sell, I'm sure!

Stu29573
03-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Wow, yet another money grab. Who would have ever thought. Mickey is getting a little too desperate and needy for me to continue this relationship. I'll check back in if and when he gets a little counseling...

i'm grumpy
03-22-2016, 04:00 PM

:funny:

dlpmikki
03-22-2016, 05:13 PM
Having seen this would start at 11pm on the dates we are there I can't see it happening, even if I wanted to pay that much!

Tekneek
03-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Limited to the number of tickets they can sell, I'm sure!

That has been the trend, hasn't it? I seem to recall some consternation when "limited tickets" for some event had a park packed and hours long waits for character meet-and-greets (didn't this happen for the Villian's Party?).

1DisneyNut
03-22-2016, 05:35 PM
We did the Christmas party back in November and it was packed like a regular park day. The limited ticket special events are only limited by how many are willing to buy tickets.

Arielfan98
03-22-2016, 11:29 PM
If they're gonna do this I hope they greatly reduce the price for on-site staying guests. What a rip-off!

BrerGnat
03-22-2016, 11:34 PM
If they're gonna do this I hope they greatly reduce the price for on-site staying guests. What a rip-off!

Why would they do that? Onsite guests get EMH already for free. The point is to get those OFFSITE guests to pay for this perk on non EMH nights.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
03-23-2016, 09:21 AM
As long as it doesn't replace EMH for Resort guests, I'm fine with it!

chefmickey3
03-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Interestingly, last summer we participated in the DVC Beach Bash at Typhoon Lagoon. We had a blast! There were stations set up with complimentary drinks and ice cream treats which sounds a lot like the refreshments at this event. While we were there, we were discussing why they would offer an event like this and brainstormed that they may be testing it for a new pay event. Afterwards, we completed a survey and were asked if we would be willing to pay for an event like the Beach Bash at other parks. Sounds like enough people said yes! I think $149 is way too much. I too remember E-ride nights before kids and we have great memories of these fun nights.

Lindslou
03-23-2016, 09:54 AM
I'm hoping that this doesn't sell well and that they do away with it. It is a pretty outlay and without the benefits of the parties I can't see that many people going for it. Of course I could be wrong. If it discontinues then there's no risk of them doing away with free EMH!

VWL Mom
03-23-2016, 10:17 AM
You know, the more I think about this, the less expensive it seems. I mean, people pay (IMO) ridiculous amounts of money for these following "experiences" every day at WDW: character meals, "dessert parties", fireworks cruises, etc. All those things run several hundred dollars for the average family. And they are, by and large, short experiences with minimal "extras."

I'm starting to think it's not too bad for some people either. A one day ticket would cost you $110 plus tax so for $149 you still get 7 hours and 3 of them will have lower crowds. Both my boys (20 & 24) said they would go for this if they didn't have APs and were visiting the Orlando area.

WiltonJohn
03-23-2016, 10:30 AM

For some people... this $150 price tag is NOT what they might call "expensive". They have the disposable income to handle these kinds of things without thinking much about it. This is targeted niche marketing....as are the other experiences that are mentioned in the quote above.

We've saved up the pennies for a long time and done a couple of the "experiences", and they were well worth the price. Not something we can afford to do regularly... nor are some of them affordable for us EVER (like swimming with dolphins, the old race car stuff, etc.).

Some people will gladly buy these offerings. For Disney, it's an additional revenue stream. Those who don't buy are not really impacted... because they can still go to the parks as they usually do.

I doubt that they will simply do away with Extra Magic Hours..... it is a benefit of staying on property and helps with the marketing of that offering. They might try to mesh the two groups together though. Stay on property and get EMH included ........ or pay an additional $150 a day to get the same thing if you stay off property. The single days might be a test marketing things to see if the flag waves when they raise it.

best,

................john

PopPhan
03-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Got this off another site:

Disney After Hours

Updated:

Would you pay $150 to be among a few thousand people to enjoy three hours inside the Magic Kingdom after it closes to the general public? If the rumors are true, a new premium event called "Disney After Hours" may offer you the chance to do just that on select nights on April and May.

The source of this rumor is an e-mail reportedly sent to some cast members on Monday, though Disney has yet to make an official announcement. The exclusive event is scheduled to take place on seven Thursday nights this spring:

April: 14, 21, 28
May: 5, 8, 12, 19
Reservations are now open. expected to open on April 6. The cost is $149 per person (ages 3 and older), plus tax. The event includes select attractions and character experiences, along with ice cream novelties and bottled soft drinks from vending carts around the park.

At first glance, it's hard to see how this offering would appeal to all but a handful of park visitors, especially if they are also eligible for Extra Magic Hours.

Extra Magic Hours offers Walt Disney World Resort hotel guests a 1- or 2-hour bonus before or after park hours at selected parks and dates. On Wednesday, April 13, the Magic Kingdom closes to the public at 11:00 p.m., with Extra Magic Hours offered until 1:00 a.m.

On Thursday, April 14, the supposed first date of this event, the Magic Kingdom again closes at 11:00 p.m., so this Disney After Hours event would likely run until 2:00 a.m.. That timing alone is enough to rule out most families with children.

Of course, Disney could make this experience much more compelling by changing the timing—closing the Magic Kingdom to the general public earlier in the day, creating an "After Hours" event that doesn't run until last call. It's not hard to believe that Disney might tweak the Magic Kingdom's schedule to close much earlier one night each week, especially if Animal Kingdom further extends its evening hours following the debut of the new Rivers of Light show and nighttime safaris.

Update: now that Disney has announced the event to the public, it turns out that the event does include more than 3 hours of admission to the park. Guests who purchase the ticket have access to the Magic Kingdom starting at 7:00 p.m., 3 or 4 hours (depending on date) earlier than the park's posted closing time. The "after hours" portion runs until 3 hours after the theme park closes to the public, so 1:00 a.m. or 2:00 a.m. depending on date.

To crunch the numbers, we have to first look at the normal price of admission on one of these event dates. All of these events fall on a "regular" season date, when the price of a one-day ticket is $110.

Again referring to April 14, the park is open to the public from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m., or 14 hours. That works out to $7.86 an hour to share the park with however many tens of thousands of people also visit that day.

The Disney After Hours ticket is valid from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., or 7 hours. It works out to $21.29 per hour, and half of the time you'll have the park almost entirely to yourself. Disney won't officially confirm the number of tickets to be sold each night, but CMs tell us it's about the capacity of Mickey's PhilharMagic (just under 500).

If this number is accurate, you better convince your friends to join you for the event, else you may not see another non-employee the entire night. With just 500 people in the park, you could probably ride the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train as many times in a row as you wanted without ever getting off. With just 500 people in the park, you could have all the face time with Cinderella and Rapunzel that any princess fan could ever ask for. That few people could probably all ride Pirates of the Caribbean at the same time.

So yes, you're spending three times as much per hour to be inside the park, but the longest wait you'd have for any attraction is the time it takes you to walk to it. For the time-is-money crowd, this could be a very attractive prospect indeed. I could see this as being popular with convention-goers, a way to unwind after a long day of seminars and meetings.

Reservations are available by calling (407) 827-7185. [Ask the automated system for "tickets," because this offering is not yet recognized the by voice response system]

Now, if it IS only 500 tickets per event, it might be worth trying this out. Still would depend on what attractions are available and what "Meet and Greets" would be happening.

Stu29573
03-23-2016, 12:25 PM
Got this off another site:

Now, if it IS only 500 tickets per event, it might be worth trying this out. Still would depend on what attractions are available and what "Meet and Greets" would be happening.

I don't see how they could make money with numbers that low. I would doubt the accuracy of that report. Although, if true, it would be worth it for customers...

DonaldDuck1117
03-23-2016, 12:50 PM
Well with some quick math we get 500 X 149 to get $74,500, For only staying open 3 hours longer than posted hours. That means Disney is making $24,833 an hour.

Another thing to consider is this is just an additional revenue stream and that the park would probably be open with EMH at this time of year anyways so it's not too much of an additional cost to Disney. They've basically just added an extra $75,000 a day to the bottom line for doing almost nothing extra on their end.

Going further this runs for 7 nights. 74,500 X 7 is $521,500. They will add half a million dollars in only 1 weeks time. Unreal.

Stu29573
03-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Well with some quick math we get 500 X 149 to get $74,500, For only staying open 3 hours longer than posted hours. That means Disney is making $24,833 an hour.

Another thing to consider is this is just an additional revenue stream and that the park would probably be open with EMH at this time of year anyways so it's not too much of an additional cost to Disney. They've basically just added an extra $75,000 a day to the bottom line for doing almost nothing extra on their end.

Going further this runs for 7 nights. 74,500 X 7 is $521,500. They will add half a million dollars in only 1 weeks time. Unreal.

But if they are running EMH those same nights, then you wouldn't be one of 500....The crowds would be much larger. Also, I'm pretty sure 24,000 an hour, while huge to us, isn't very impressive to WDW.

DizneyRox
03-23-2016, 02:43 PM
Admin costs will eat that $75000 pretty quick. Between CMs to run the rides, maintenance people, security, parking attendants, etc. Can't imagine 500 is a good number. They won't do this to break even, they are looking to make a killing! 500 people in the park won't do that.

dnickels
03-24-2016, 09:13 AM
The 500 number surprises me too. Even absolute bare-bones staffing of the MK plus parking lots has got to be a couple of hundred CMs, plus the extra energy costs to keep the rides running. After subtracting that from the $25,000 per hour revenue number that's peanuts in the grand scheme of Disney's theme parks division revenue. I'm surprised it would be worth it to Disney.

BrerGnat
03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
It won't be 500.

waymickey
03-24-2016, 10:39 AM

If mickey holds my hand and goes on the rides with me I will pay for the extra hours! Otherwise I will pass.

BriarRose0708
03-24-2016, 10:45 AM
Did anyone see there is now an "early access" ticket to Fantasyland? You pay almost $70 for access to only three rides - 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Winnie the Pooh, and Peter Pan - and a continental breakfast. This on top of already having to have a park ticket to even buy this early access. *INSERT EYE ROLL HERE* I feel like if you fall for this one, you deserve to be out $70!

BrerGnat
03-24-2016, 10:57 AM
Did anyone see there is now an "early access" ticket to Fantasyland? You pay almost $70 for access to only three rides - 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Winnie the Pooh, and Peter Pan - and a continental breakfast. This on top of already having to have a park ticket to even buy this early access. *INSERT EYE ROLL HERE* I feel like if you fall for this one, you deserve to be out $70!

This one actually makes me giggle. Like people are falling all over each other to get to Winnie the Pooh in the mornings. Why not just be less subtle...."Pay $69 to ride 7 Dwarfs Mine Train." That's really what it comes down to.

I wonder what letter that ticket would be. I assume "F" - something. ;)

i'm grumpy
03-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Arriving soon, the 8th dwarf, Greedy. :mad: :sad:

DonaldDuck1117
03-24-2016, 05:53 PM
Admin costs will eat that $75000 pretty quick. Between CMs to run the rides, maintenance people, security, parking attendants, etc. Can't imagine 500 is a good number. They won't do this to break even, they are looking to make a killing! 500 people in the park won't do that.

Maybe they aren't doing it to turn a true profit but to help reduce costs. Now that line of thinking only works if you assume MK would be open those nights for EMH anyways. Meaning they would already be paying for administration costs but with now extra income.

But, I agree that there is no way this is limited to only 500. If it were you would be looking at prices like $300-4000.

CanadaLovesDisney
03-24-2016, 10:42 PM
No thanks! Too much money. Perhaps if it was $30-$50 but over $100 not a chance.
Not for this group of Canadians. Looking at flights for $1,000 right now when converted to our dollars its $1,400.00 Sighhhhhhh

i'm grumpy
03-25-2016, 10:10 AM
No thanks! Too much money. Perhaps if it was $30-$50 but over $100 not a chance.
Not for this group of Canadians. Looking at flights for $1,000 right now when converted to our dollars its $1,400.00 Sighhhhhhh

Yikes. It's too high from the Midwest too. And they want you to leave early morning going home.

joonyer
03-25-2016, 10:49 AM
And I thought the Halloween and Christmas party prices had gotten out of hand.
If people are willing to pay $150 for three extra hours with much less amenities than the parties offer,
then look for Disney to be raising the prices for the parties next.

DizneyRox
03-25-2016, 11:27 AM
And I thought the Halloween and Christmas party prices had gotten out of hand.
If people are willing to pay $150 for three extra hours with much less amenities than the parties offer,
then look for Disney to be raising the prices for the parties next.
Yep, we've only seen dates, not prices. With everything else going on, I suspect this will be closer to the new price of those events vs last year's prices. Popularity of these events will drive pricing on those tickets.

SurferStitch
03-25-2016, 11:55 AM
Yep, we've only seen dates, not prices. With everything else going on, I suspect this will be closer to the new price of those events vs last year's prices. Popularity of these events will drive pricing on those tickets.

Well then, if that's the case, we definitely will not be attending anymore parties. They are so overcrowded as it is now!! They won't lower the number of available tickets if they jack up the price, and I'm not paying that much to get packed in like sardines to watch parades and fireworks, or wait an hour for a character.

baldburke
03-25-2016, 12:26 PM
The jury is still out to see if Disney does this right...right? Between Disney After Hours and Early Morning Magic maybe it's not such a bad thing if it perhaps eased some of the regular traffic or gave you an opportunity to enjoy the park at a less hectic pace. If I was down for seven days then I could see going with a six day park hopper while picking up one of these other offers. The price points are a little high, but again hopefully the quality is good. But it would be great to do one of these and get some more mid-day R&R at the resort.

joonyer
03-25-2016, 12:55 PM
The jury is still out to see if Disney does this right...right?

No, It's officially a done deal now.

gratuspater
03-26-2016, 11:42 AM
Remember when this was called E Ticket nights and it cost $12?

Again, though, this appears to be marketed towards OFFSITE guests. It could be worth it if they REALLY limit ticket sales for each night to something around 5,000.

I do remember the E ticket nights, and they were awesome! I don't remember the exact cost but I know it was well worth it. But I do remember thinking how reasonable the price was, and did not seem like a blatant money grab. For the price the park was EMPTY! It was enjoyable to just walk around the park with all of the lights on and enjoy the ambiance, without feeling packed in like a sardine. But this just seems like Disney catering to their most important "guests", the ones with the most money. instead of doing something to mitigate overcrowding so everyone has a more enjoyable time, they can just open the parks up later for the ones who can afford it. And the rest of us poor suckers can just deal with it and be glad they let us in in the first place. Kinda like the 3rd class passengers on the titantic.

joonyer
03-26-2016, 07:55 PM
I can't really blame Disney for charging the higher prices for these special admission events, if that's what guests are willing to pay (other ones, not me). But I do wish they would limit the admissions for these high price limited duration events. We quit going to the Halloween party because it got too crowded to justify the price.

LandFan
03-27-2016, 04:26 PM
Well then, if that's the case, we definitely will not be attending anymore parties. They are so overcrowded as it is now!! They won't lower the number of available tickets if they jack up the price, and I'm not paying that much to get packed in like sardines to watch parades and fireworks, or wait an hour for a character.

Yeah - we decided our last party was November of 2014. It was insanely busy and we didn't have any of the fun that we used to have because of it. We're out. It used to be a good deal and so much fun!

LandFan
03-27-2016, 04:28 PM
I do remember the E ticket nights, and they were awesome! I don't remember the exact cost but I know it was well worth it. But I do remember thinking how reasonable the price was, and did not seem like a blatant money grab. For the price the park was EMPTY! It was enjoyable to just walk around the park with all of the lights on and enjoy the ambiance, without feeling packed in like a sardine. But this just seems like Disney catering to their most important "guests", the ones with the most money. instead of doing something to mitigate overcrowding so everyone has a more enjoyable time, they can just open the parks up later for the ones who can afford it. And the rest of us poor suckers can just deal with it and be glad they let us in in the first place. Kinda like the 3rd class passengers on the titantic.

Totally agree! E-ride nights was AMAZING!! It was only like $15 or something and we rode everything and the park was ROOMY. It was so nice. You could relax and THINK and take in your surroundings.

Terra
03-27-2016, 06:53 PM
For some people... this $150 price tag is NOT what they might call "expensive". They have the disposable income to handle these kinds of things without thinking much about it. This is targeted niche marketing....as are the other experiences that are mentioned in the quote above.

We've saved up the pennies for a long time and done a couple of the "experiences", and they were well worth the price. Not something we can afford to do regularly... nor are some of them affordable for us EVER (like swimming with dolphins, the old race car stuff, etc.).

Some people will gladly buy these offerings. For Disney, it's an additional revenue stream. Those who don't buy are not really impacted... because they can still go to the parks as they usually do.

I doubt that they will simply do away with Extra Magic Hours..... it is a benefit of staying on property and helps with the marketing of that offering. They might try to mesh the two groups together though. Stay on property and get EMH included ........ or pay an additional $150 a day to get the same thing if you stay off property. The single days might be a test marketing things to see if the flag waves when they raise it.

best,

................john

Yes to this! Just depends on each family and their budgets. For us, we would never be able to do something like that and honestly I wouldn't do it anyway. I personally think it's a bit wasteful.
$150 for us is our weekly grocery budget.

I think more and more wealthy people must be going to WDW and we lower middle class are being squeezed out sadly.

WiltonJohn
03-27-2016, 07:08 PM
I think more and more wealthy people must be going to WDW and we lower middle class are being squeezed out sadly.

That fits the overall description of what is happening economically in America in general. Sad but likely true. Although it was never likely affordable to just about everyone, places like Disneyworld used to be affordable to a wider swath of the general public.

best,

...............john

Stu29573
03-28-2016, 08:36 AM
That fits the overall description of what is happening economically in America in general. Sad but likely true. Although it was never likely affordable to just about everyone, places like Disneyworld used to be affordable to a wider swath of the general public.

best,

...............john

True...and corporate practices like Disney's aren't helping... But that's a discussion for another board, I'm afraid.

Tekneek
03-29-2016, 10:37 AM

With 18 dates in October, and the current state of the other parks, you would be hard pressed to get value out of any kind of ticket that month.

LandFan
03-30-2016, 12:48 PM
With 18 dates in October, and the current state of the other parks, you would be hard pressed to get value out of any kind of ticket that month.

Oh my! 18 dates?? Add in EMH for those on site - when do off site people ever get to stay late??

DizneyRox
03-31-2016, 07:40 AM
Any time there's a reduction in operating hours, it's basically a ticket price increase... Cleverly disguised, but an increase nonetheless...

mrte62
04-03-2016, 09:26 PM
Oh my! 18 dates?? Add in EMH for those on site - when do off site people ever get to stay late??

They don't. People are to stay on property and never leave .... and please stay for 10 days .... by then you should be near broke .... so go home and start saving even more for you next trip, because by the time you can come back, the folks in corporate should have figured out some new magical ways to have you and your family part with your money ....

taleasoldastime
04-12-2016, 10:57 AM
$149 is insane! WHAT THE?!

Can someone answer this please..
Didn't they use to charge for EMH but it was pretty cheap. Like 10$ or something?

LandFan
04-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Yes - It was less than $15. People were discussing on the first page of this thread if I recall...

Patricia
04-14-2016, 11:14 AM
This will be the first night for this.. reports are that tickets have not sold out. So, that says something.

I would think that people on site, won't likely pay as they have their own after hour events included in their resort stay.. and people off site are already not interested in any extra spending, which is why they are off site in the first place. As someone that now stays offsite, I wouldn't spend the $50 an hour. I would imagine those that do spend the money, should find the crowd level low and Disney will have to decide if it's all worth it in the end.

I suspect the first thing Disney would do to increase income, if ticket sales remained too low, would be to limit what attractions would be opened. :rolleyes:

Either that or they are going to have to sell it harder.

ChipNDale79
04-14-2016, 12:35 PM
This will be the first night for this.. reports are that tickets have not sold out. So, that says something.

I would think that people on site, won't likely pay as they have their own after hour events included in their resort stay.. and people off site are already not interested in any extra spending, which is why they are off site in the first place. As someone that now stays offsite, I wouldn't spend the $50 an hour. I would imagine those that do spend the money, should find the crowd level low and Disney will have to decide if it's all worth it in the end.

I suspect the first thing Disney would do to increase income, if ticket sales remained too low, would be to limit what attractions would be opened. :rolleyes:

Either that or they are going to have to sell it harder.

I've actually read that DVC members received an offer for this as a free option, so it sounds like its not selling like they thought it would.

I hope there is some truth to that, maybe they are finding an upper limit on what people will pay for things.

VWL Mom
04-14-2016, 01:36 PM
I've actually read that DVC members received an offer for this as a free option, so it sounds like its not selling like they thought it would.

Emails did go out yesterday to those on site on points, it was first come first serve and was full by last night. The offer was for tonight, April 14th only.

ChipNDale79
04-15-2016, 08:27 AM
Emails did go out yesterday to those on site on points, it was first come first serve and was full by last night. The offer was for tonight, April 14th only.

We ever figure out what the cap is for this event? Pictures from last night show the park as basically empty, if it was full, then the "cap" number has gotta be pretty small.

BrerGnat
04-15-2016, 09:21 AM
We ever figure out what the cap is for this event? Pictures from last night show the park as basically empty, if it was full, then the "cap" number has gotta be pretty small.

The cap was reportedly reached last night with the help of the free offer for DVC members. Many sources say CMs confirmed the attendance cap is 3,000.

Being really honest? I would do it. Last night looked amazing and with 25 attractions open, completely worth it. 7pm-2am is 7 HOURS! For $150, that's only a little over $20/hour.

baldburke
04-15-2016, 04:33 PM
The cap was reportedly reached last night with the help of the free offer for DVC members. Many sources say CMs confirmed the attendance cap is 3,000.

Being really honest? I would do it. Last night looked amazing and with 25 attractions open, completely worth it. 7pm-2am is 7 HOURS! For $150, that's only a little over $20/hour.

I'm in...sign me up! I don't think I'm going to be back for at least two years, but I'd love to see them continue if they are capping it at 3k. It's almost like having the park to yourself! I think I'd prefer the evening add on to the morning...especially in the warmer months.

BrerGnat
04-15-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm in...sign me up! I don't think I'm going to be back for at least two years, but I'd love to see them continue if they are capping it at 3k. It's almost like having the park to yourself! I think I'd prefer the evening add on to the morning...especially in the warmer months.

I totally agree. Heat and sun are not my friends. I get migraines and they can ruin several days of vacation. This sounds like bliss to me.

1DisneyNut
04-15-2016, 09:40 PM
Hold on a minute, now if the cap is 3000 and it is from 7PM to 2AM I am definitely in. However, I probably won't buy a regular day park ticket at all. I would so go down and do MK and even another park if they offered it if this is the case and do Sea World, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Center or Universal on a few other days and call it a trip.....Actually sounds like a lot of fun. Please tell me there are no FP+ reservations during this event and I may jump out of my seat. Maybe I need to get in on this before they discontinue it. lol

BrerGnat
04-16-2016, 10:01 AM
Hold on a minute, now if the cap is 3000 and it is from 7PM to 2AM I am definitely in. However, I probably won't buy a regular day park ticket at all. I would so go down and do MK and even another park if they offered it if this is the case and do Sea World, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Center or Universal on a few other days and call it a trip.....Actually sounds like a lot of fun. Please tell me there are no FP+ reservations during this event and I may jump out of my seat. Maybe I need to get in on this before they discontinue it. lol

No FP available during the event, but you can use FP from 7pm until "official" park close.

There are only a handful of dates right now. If you can get in soon, do it because I imagine the event will get "tweaked" if they decide to continue it and it won't look quite the same in the future.

Patricia
04-16-2016, 11:22 AM
I saw reports of people on rides alone.. my favourite photo was a selfie of a women on Dumbo and the only others on with her were cast members.

Tekneek
04-16-2016, 02:27 PM
I saw reports of people on rides alone.. my favourite photo was a selfie of a women on Dumbo and the only others on with her were cast members.

Fun for the guests, but I imagine that looks like excessive headcount to Disney management. :)

LandFan
04-16-2016, 06:59 PM
Hold on a minute, now if the cap is 3000 and it is from 7PM to 2AM I am definitely in. However, I probably won't buy a regular day park ticket at all. I would so go down and do MK and even another park if they offered it if this is the case and do Sea World, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Center or Universal on a few other days and call it a trip.....Actually sounds like a lot of fun. lol

This ^^^ is how it would work best. Won't this take some people who would purchase packages and allow them an easy out to stay off property and go other places and only visit disney one night instead??? Doesn't this go against their whole "we want to keep you on property and buying everything all the time" philosophy??

DizneyRox
04-17-2016, 09:17 AM
Doesn't this go against their whole "we want to keep you on property and buying everything all the time" philosophy??

I think the business principle of making more money off less people supercedes that...

BrerGnat
04-17-2016, 11:22 AM
This ^^^ is how it would work best. Won't this take some people who would purchase packages and allow them an easy out to stay off property and go other places and only visit disney one night instead??? Doesn't this go against their whole "we want to keep you on property and buying everything all the time" philosophy??

Disney developed this program specifically to market to off property guests.

missymouseworld
04-17-2016, 03:39 PM
Maybe for one person it may be worth it.....$150 for 3 hours of unlimited rides with a small attendance as stated being 3,000 people....but I don't see a family of 4 paying $600 for tickets to do this for 3 hours. However, maybe they will? It seems a little much, but that's just my opinion.

Someone mentioned that on the 14th, they had access from 7pm - 2am? That was longer than the 3 hours that was mentioned in the announcement. Unless I read it incorrectly.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-17-2016, 05:09 PM
Someone mentioned that on the 14th, they had access from 7pm - 2am? That was longer than the 3 hours that was mentioned in the announcement. Unless I read it incorrectly.

You can enter on your "event ticket" at 7pm, even though the exclusive access doesn't start until the park closes.

I am actually thinking about this, just for DD & I though ... we'll have to see how it plays out over the next little while.

deedee73
04-17-2016, 08:17 PM
I believe it is 3 hours beyond the regular MK closing. So it will be either 1 am or 2 am depending.

DizneyFreak2002
04-27-2016, 06:51 PM
Two words: EPIC FAILURE

Is it wrong I am smiling?

magicofdisney
04-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Is that why they're now offering it to pass holders at half price?

PopPhan
04-28-2016, 03:46 PM

True

Nope

Most probably

Tekneek
04-28-2016, 04:10 PM

Which still feels like a scam to me. If I paid $749 for an AP, why would I spend $75 for some extra hours on one night?

Polynesian Dweller
04-28-2016, 04:32 PM

Yep. It's wrong. Why would it be a point of joy that they lose money and so don't invest in the park. Not something I'd be cheering.

Besides, if one is a true Disney fan why would you get glee out of failure and second why does an optional activity matter that much too you.

Tekneek
04-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Why would it be a point of joy that they lose money and so don't invest in the park. Not something I'd be cheering.

One might posit that slowing down the constant increases in tickets, exclusive events, etc, is born of a love of Disney and not from some destructive place. If they wanted to have the parks open during these times, they could choose to do so. If they want them closed, they could choose to do so. They, instead, thought they could extract $149 out of a bunch of people for what amounts to an evening in the park with a few hours of limited exclusive access. As we are routinely reminded, Disney will continue raising rates, fees, and increasing the number of exclusive events until the market won't bend to their desires. If we prefer to see these sorts of trends roll back, then any sign that the market isn't lining up to throw money at them is a positive development.

Stu29573
04-28-2016, 10:00 PM
One might posit that slowing down the constant increases in tickets, exclusive events, etc, is born of a love of Disney and not from some destructive place. If they wanted to have the parks open during these times, they could choose to do so. If they want them closed, they could choose to do so. They, instead, thought they could extract $149 out of a bunch of people for what amounts to an evening in the park with a few hours of limited exclusive access. As we are routinely reminded, Disney will continue raising rates, fees, and increasing the number of exclusive events until the market won't bend to their desires. If we prefer to see these sorts of trends roll back, then any sign that the market isn't lining up to throw money at them is a positive development.
This. Exactly. They kept looking for "the point" where people would stop paying. Looks like they found it.

kdilkington
04-28-2016, 10:38 PM
Now that we know the park is limited to 3000 guests I would totally do this. I haven't been to WDW since they started the magic band system because I hate the idea of having to plan everything including rides in advance. If I could spend one night in MK without the need for fast pass then it's well worth it. Of course it's only a matter of time before the 3000 limit becomes 10000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Tekneek
04-29-2016, 12:04 AM
Of course it's only a matter of time before the 3000 limit becomes 10000.

If they desire to find that price point, they will surely get there. As others have surmised, the impression is that by having to give tickets away and offer discounts to DVC/AP holders, this new program is a flop. My hunch is they will abandon it completely, but there is a chance they will try to find a price point that regularly sells all 3000 for each "selected date" (which might become many more, reducing the hours previously available to regular park goers eventually).

VWL Mom
04-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Which still feels like a scam to me. If I paid $749 for an AP, why would I spend $75 for some extra hours on one night?
DVC AP renewal is under $500 and this will be our third trip on our pass so we've decided to spend the extra money. IMO MK has been very crowded since DHS is basically shut down, May & October were hot which made things worse, January was so cold but still had long waits. Being able to be in the park with low crowds is just something I couldn't resist and I don't even go on most of the rides but I plan on soaking it all in. People routinely pay extra for the parties and such which is never questioned and those are packed to the gills. Different strokes for different folks.

I think the original price point was a bit high but probably would have been a better sell if released in the summer when it's extremely hot and super crowded.

mickeyman42
04-29-2016, 06:07 AM
as a DVC member I would pay $75 for this for a night, but I can't see this extended beyond the announced dates so for us its a moot point as we wont be back until Aug. at $75 its kind of like going to a holiday party, but not getting to do any of the specific party things........so just like going to the parties!

Tekneek
04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
\People routinely pay extra for the parties and such which is never questioned and those are packed to the gills.

As the price has gone up (and seems like the number of tickets sold per party have been going up as well), people have complained more about the actual value of the parties. The last time I attended one, the waits were not much better than non-party. At this point, the parties are all about the party-specific parades/extras and not a chance to get some great ride time. I don't find them to have the value they once had and probably won't ever attend another.

ChipNDale79
04-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Yep. It's wrong. Why would it be a point of joy that they lose money and so don't invest in the park. Not something I'd be cheering.

Besides, if one is a true Disney fan why would you get glee out of failure and second why does an optional activity matter that much too you.

They've been making money hand over fists the past few years, and not until they have been forced to spend money on the parks have they finally decided to.

All of us here are huge fans, but we're also consumers. Consumers that are paying more and more for a product that hasn't really improved. So the failure of this is a good thing for the consumer.

We have to force disney to do better, we all know they can.

DizneyRox
04-29-2016, 08:27 PM
h++p://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20160427/31907/failed-experiments-walt-disney-world

Making news. Of course it could just be people reveling in their failure.

Of course the discount is because it's not popular. They can't afford to open with only 300 people paying. If they can get 1000 at 1/2 price, it's still closer to breaking even than 300 at full price. I'm sure they are trying to decide if the PR flak for cancelling all together is worse that grasping at straws to break even. They aren't in the business of losing money...

Ian
05-01-2016, 10:32 AM
This one particular event may be a failure, at least from where we're sitting now, but I can tell you first hand the parks are still absolutely jam packed to the gills. Every year we go the parks are just a bit more crowded than the year before.

Whatever they're doing and whatever we, the hardcore fans might think of it, it really doesn't matter ... until the time comes when the parks aren't absolutely teeming with paying guests nothing is going to change.

And even if attendance does drop I think we'll see it go the other way ... more cuts not less. The only thing at this point that can fix the problem is a complete and total replacement of the company leadership with a creative/customer focused group. And really why would the Board want that? The fiscals have been at historic highs for a decade now.

Ian
05-01-2016, 10:35 AM
Look at this five year ... what possible incentive is there to change anything?

baldburke
05-01-2016, 01:49 PM

It may seem like Disney is throwing anything and everything at the wall to see what sticks, but with Disney Shanghai opening next month the house of mouse should easily add an extra billion (full year) in sales to improve cash flow. Have patience, their plan is solid.

1DisneyNut
05-01-2016, 03:50 PM

Do keep in mind that the 5 year stock price graph carries you back to the low point in the height of the recession. A lot of that upwards momentum is basically just the return of the economy. It basically mimics the DOW. You now see that in the last year and a half it has leveled out and started a sideways trend. I believe investors also realize they have just about milked the cow to death.

Who really knows if Shanghai is going to be an immediate success or not. It may boom but then China is on the brink of their own massive recession which could result in this park being a cash eating machine. Only time will tell.

mrte62
05-01-2016, 05:12 PM
Do keep in mind that the 5 year stock price graph carries you back to the low point in the height of the recession. A lot of that upwards momentum is basically just the return of the economy. It basically mimics the DOW. You now see that in the last year and a half it has leveled out and started a sideways trend. I believe investors also realize they have just about milked the cow to death.

Who really knows if Shanghai is going to be an immediate success or not. It may boom but then China is on the brink of their own massive recession which could result in this park being a cash eating machine. Only time will tell.

Unfortunately, investors, the board and senior management do not believe the cow has been fully milked. IMHO, there will be more premium events, service cuts and price increases coming and at an even faster pace. And until there are concrete signs that revenue is being impacted, these things will not let up.

1DisneyNut
05-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately, investors, the board and senior management do not believe the cow has been fully milked. IMHO, there will be more premium events, service cuts and price increases coming and at an even faster pace. And until there are concrete signs that revenue is being impacted, these things will not let up.

Investors are always 2 steps ahead. They run the price up on the anticipation and sell running the price down on the news. I wouldn't touch Disney with a 10 ft. pole right now for a long position but we will see.

RBrooksC
05-02-2016, 08:24 AM

I have been saying the same thing. I somehow think it is party sour grapes. I have no problem with any of these premium events. As I have said, NOTHING is being taken away from the normal guest.

I don't see this much complaining when the MK closes early for the Halloween or Christmas Party and during those events those who don't pay for the hard ticket price are required to leave the park at 7 PM. At least with this, the average park goer can enjoy the park until 11 PM before having to exit.