PDA

View Full Version : Secret Stuff - not to be missed?

Jack Skellington
03-21-2016, 07:01 PM
Hello,

We're headed to DL/CA next week. Can't tell who is more excited, me DW, or the two princesses!

We are frequent WDW visitors, but have only been to DL/CA for 5 or 6 total days. So, we don't know those parks as well.

I am wondering, what are the "secret" things not to miss, or just "secret" cool things in general?

I know about the interactive features of Indiana Jones (the pit worker, bamboo pole). There used to be a point where you could make loud noises to see if you could "wake the bats", is that still working?

Hidden Mickeys are neat, so we know to keep our eyes peeled for these.

What else?

Thanks in advance!

JS:mickey:

BrerGnat
03-21-2016, 07:27 PM
See if you can find the White Rabbits door

Look in the windows above Snow White's Adventure ride. You might catch a glimpse of the Evil Queen peeking out.

Take the walkthrough tour inside Sleeping Beauty Castle. It's a pretty fantastic retelling of the story using animated dioramas.

Look for Walt's Light in the window above the Fire Station. He used to light that lamp whenever he was in the park so the cast members would know he was watching. It has remained lit since his passing.

You can get an up close look at the steam trains right now at Main Street and New Orleans Stations. Engineers are on hand to ask questions as well. You can peek inside the Lily Belle caboose.

Look for the petrified tree in Frontierland. It is the oldest thing in the park. Was an anniversary gift from Walt to Lilian (how romantic!)

Right now, you can participate in the Easter egg hunt. There are three different ones: DL, DCA, and DtD. You purchase a map at select gift shops and when you have completed the scavenger hunt, you will get a pin.

Toontown has a lot of funny gags. You have to walk around where the buildings are and you should find most of them.

The Golden Horseshoe usually has live musical entertainment. They have some pretty fantastic desserts too! Just stop in if you want to get off your feet for awhile.

If you happen to come across the Disneyland Marching Band doing their show in front of the castle, DEFINITELY stop and watch it. It is fantastic!

You can ride the cars on Main Street. Most of them have been in operation since opening day!

You can see the ACTUAL park bench that Walt Disney was sitting on when he came up with the idea for Disneyland at Griffith park. It is on display at the gallery on Main Street, near the opera house.

The rocket outside of Redd Rockets Pizza Port is the same rocket that stood outside the attraction Rocket to the Moon in the very early days of the park.

Every 15 minutes the clock on It's a Small World has a little show with a procession of animatronic dolls. It's cute.

You can still ride in the front car of the monorail with the driver. Just ask!

There is a playable Indiana Jones pinball game in the gift shop across from the ride. It's hidden in the back.

You can eat your Dole Whip inside the Tiki Room attraction. It's actually encouraged. And the line is MUCH shorter inside the attraction queue than outside.

Jack Skellington
03-21-2016, 07:37 PM
Thanks! That's all fantastic!

Do you know if the Easter Egg hunt will still be offered after Easter?

Much appreciated.

JS

BrerGnat
03-21-2016, 09:02 PM
Thanks! That's all fantastic!

Do you know if the Easter Egg hunt will still be offered after Easter?

Much appreciated.

JS

March 27 is the last day for the Easter egg hunt.

Although April 1 is when the DCA Food & Wine event kicks off so there's that. ;)

BrerGnat
03-21-2016, 11:38 PM
Thought of another one.

Look closely at all the popcorn carts. Each one has a special "roastie toasty" themed to the area in the park where the cart is located. The Roastie Toasty is a little character that is turning a drum full of popcorn. It is fun to see the costumes they are wearing.

Jack Skellington
03-22-2016, 12:40 AM
That's cool! Thanks.

Jack Skellington
03-22-2016, 12:44 AM
Are there any other neat imagineering "tidbits" for lack of a better word. I am thinking of the Party Line in the WDW Main Street shops on the old crank-style phone. I heard about the morse code in Adventureland is it?

I am sure the kids (and I) will have a blast in Toon Town with all the interactive stuff.

I love the little stuff that shows us that Disney Imagineers really care about the intricate details.

I thought the WDW-MK Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom was very well done. As was the Epcot Perry/Spy/KimPossible game.

JS

BriarRose0708
03-22-2016, 08:21 AM
Fantastic list! I will make sure to check lots of them out as well.Have an awesome trip, Jack!

BrerGnat
03-22-2016, 09:35 AM
Are there any other neat imagineering "tidbits" for lack of a better word. I am thinking of the Party Line in the WDW Main Street shops on the old crank-style phone. I heard about the morse code in Adventureland is it?

JS

Yes, there is quite a bit of fun imagineering stuff hidden around.

The Morse Code is at the New Orleans Square train station. I am not sure if it is "on" right now sincethe trains are down. I will check next time I visit the parks. The morse code you can hear is Walt's opening day speech!

There is a lot of funny stuff to hear on Main Street, down the smaller alleys between the shops. Pay attention to the windows and listen carefully. You might hear someone giving a piano lesson, talking on the phone, or visiting the dentist.

I have the imagineering field guides. I will glance through them later and see what else I can tell you about. Or, you might want to pick up your own copies. It is a series of books with one dedicated to each WDW and DL park. They are small and thin books. Easy to carry around.

Jack Skellington
03-22-2016, 06:44 PM
I have the imagineering field guides. I will glance through them later and see what else I can tell you about. Or, you might want to pick up your own copies. It is a series of books with one dedicated to each WDW and DL park. They are small and thin books. Easy to carry around.

Thanks BrerGnat! Great suggestion.

JS :mickey:

Jeff
03-23-2016, 08:27 AM
Great question and fantastic answers!

LandFan
03-30-2016, 11:12 AM
Don't forget to stop by and listen to by Shrunken Ned (dispensing interesting tidbits) in that shop in Adventureland and the Genie at Aladdin's Oasis (granting wishes)

Then there is Fortune Red – the fortune telling Pirate in New Orleans Square (between Pieces of Eight and Port Royal

And the old hag’s cackle when you touch the Golden Apple at Snow White’s Scary Adventures...

You can get a copy of the Buena Vista times newspaper printed daily in DCA near the front of the park (I forget the exact store/stand).

Jack Skellington
04-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Having just returned I can report a few things:

-The morse code is still running at New Orleans Square station.
-The witch's cackle didn't seem to work for us on Snow White's Scary Adventures (but perhaps timing was off).
-The messenger lady driving her bike around at CA was awesome, my youngest got a telegram from Mickey and the lady told her to come back with the oldest for her message (which was from Minnie). Great interaction.
-My youngest loved watching for the Wicked Queen watching from the window in Fantasyland.
-The ToonTown gags were mostly all working (some were covered up due to construction).
-The Goofy water fountains were a Big Hit (I fell for and got squirted by the "psst, hey you, listen close" gag).
-It was so busy on Main Street that the sounds in the alleys were un-detectable most times.
-We got a fortune from Red.
-There is an automatic music box "arcade" in one of the clothing shops in Frontierland that is the best quarter we have ever spent at DL, check it out.

We had a great time. Thanks everyone for all the tips!

BrerGnat
04-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Having just returned I can report a few things:

-The morse code is still running at New Orleans Square station.
-The witch's cackle didn't seem to work for us on Snow White's Scary Adventures (but perhaps timing was off).
-The messenger lady driving her bike around at CA was awesome, my youngest got a telegram from Mickey and the lady told her to come back with the oldest for her message (which was from Minnie). Great interaction.
-My youngest loved watching for the Wicked Queen watching from the window in Fantasyland.
-The ToonTown gags were mostly all working (some were covered up due to construction).
-The Goofy water fountains were a Big Hit (I fell for and got squirted by the "psst, hey you, listen close" gag).
-It was so busy on Main Street that the sounds in the alleys were un-detectable most times.
-We got a fortune from Red.
-There is an automatic music box "arcade" in one of the clothing shops in Frontierland that is the best quarter we have ever spent at DL, check it out.

We had a great time. Thanks everyone for all the tips!

Great feedback! Glad you had a good time with the extras.