PDA

View Full Version : Tell Me About February in Disney World

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-15-2016, 08:08 AM
We decided our next trip we want to do something different and try to go at a least crowded time in February. I know there really are no more slow times but at least it won't be the holiday crowds we are used to. Which week is the best, other than President's Day week which I know to avoid? What are the pros and cons of going this time of year. Any special events during that time, traditionally any sort of discount? Thanks for your help.

Genie1953
03-15-2016, 08:37 AM
I will be interested in this information too.

faline
03-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Early February before Presidents' day week would probably be the best. Presidents' Day week is insanely crowded. The weeks following that - up through Easter - are all part of the busy spring break season and, while not typically as crowded as Presidents' week, can certainly be crowded as well.

Weather can be quite chilly or it can be very pleasantly warm or anything in between.

RavsRuleDisney!
03-15-2016, 09:19 AM
We decided our next trip we want to do something different and try to go at a least crowded time in February. I know there really are no more slow times but at least it won't be the holiday crowds we are used to. Which week is the best, other than President's Day week which I know to avoid? What are the pros and cons of going this time of year. Any special events during that time, traditionally any sort of discount? Thanks for your help.

Hey "Freak" ;) we went late February several years back and it was actually one of our better trips all-round. We caught the tail end of the free dining being offered (main reason) and the DS' missed a day or two of school but they were quite young at the time. Weather cooperated - definitely cool mornings but warmed up nicely each day - I believe my boys actually snuck in some resort pool time! Crowds were super manageable, I remember us having no problems hitting up our fave attractions multiple times with minimal waits on top of smart FP use. The "wet" attractions - Water parks, Kali Rapids, Splash, etc. can be a challenge if the weather stays cool, but personal choice there....the only problem I remember and more annoying than anything else were those bugs (Junebugs?), smallish red and black guys like big ladybugs - they were everywhere! Harmless but a pain, especially if you have small kids who are not the "bug" type. I would say go for it, not a bad time of year for a trip down....

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-15-2016, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. We do not use the pools much, so that wouldn't be an issue. We were leaning towards the first or last week of February. I didn't think the spring break crowds would be coming in that early so we'll have to consider that. We've been in October, December and the first week of January. The weather's been anywhere from mid 80's to high 30's at night, so we can handle the weather. Wow, I can't believe you had love bugs that early. They usually come in the Spring. I'm thinking the first week of February but we've got a long time to plan. I did see a discount this past year I think like 25% off moderates so I'll keep my fingers crossed for that or free dining.

Cass&KenziesMom
03-15-2016, 05:27 PM
We went the 9th-15th a few years back and it was our best trip. That was Mardi Gras break for us here. Even with the influx of our fellow Louisiana peeps the crowds were very manageable and the weather was great! We were able to get in some pool time. I think there was only 1 day that we didn't end up in shorts and short sleeves. Had light jackets in our backpack for the kids when the sun went down. If we can swing it again in the future Feb. is when we hope to go again.

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-19-2016, 02:00 PM
We've decided on February 1-8. Magical Journey's told me I wouldn't be able to book until rates come out in late summer or early fall. I know August will be 6 months out for ADR's and what about FP+? Has anyone else dealt with this, will I still be able to book 6 months out without a reservation?

Diznut
03-22-2016, 12:03 PM
We went the first week of February once and wouldn't do it again. There were a ton of dance teams in town and a large population of Central American groups celebrating their 15th birthday. Plus it was really cold. Sweatshirts and jeans everyday. Our personal favorite time to go is early September.

ThanxForNoticin
03-22-2016, 05:05 PM
We've actually had very good luck with early February over the years - have probably been there 6 or 7 times during that time of year. February in 2017 should be interesting, because some of the bigger events are later in the month next year. President's Day in the 20th and Mardi Gras is the 28th, so crowds might pick up just a little later next year- but who knows for sure! The last couple years, President's Day, Valentine's Day, and MG were all landing around the same weekend - seemed like things were busier. Good luck with your February trip - hope it works out great.