PDA

View Full Version : Parking Upcharge

VWL Mom
03-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Just saw this on twitter from WDW News Today. It's also showing up on various boards but with no official word I'll label this rumor for the time being.

Beginning March 15th and lasting for just a few days, guests parking at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot will have the option of paying for a premium parking space closer to the park entrance (or at least a monorail or ferryboat). The charge for the premium parking is $15 above the regular $20 charge. There is no word yet on what the charge will be for resort guests or annual passholders, but we would assume that they would pay just $15 since they are already offered complimentary regular parking.

The exact locations of the premium spaces are unknown at this time.

Strmchsr
03-14-2016, 01:53 PM
I knew that rumor had been going around. I assume this is probably a trial run during a peak busy time. Hopefully it doesn't last. The money grabs are just getting out of hand.

Tekneek
03-14-2016, 03:09 PM
Seems pointless to me. Unless they start charging for the tram.

1DisneyNut
03-14-2016, 03:19 PM
I will be shocked if this doesn't become permanent. They are plucking money from everything else so why not squeeze parking while they are at it?

BrerGnat
03-14-2016, 03:20 PM
A number of theme parks already do this. This doesn't bother me at all as it's 100% optional.

Clay Ransone
03-14-2016, 03:23 PM
Busch Gardens has been doing that for years. I think it is $10 more for the premier parking in Williamsburg. I have a season pass so my parking is free but if the premier parking is an option I will usually spring the $10 for it. It makes things much faster getting home. I would imagine Disney would do the same thing for AP holders and resort guests.

i'm grumpy
03-14-2016, 04:18 PM
I believe Silver Dollar City does this. Still takes forever to get inside the park.

DizneyRox
03-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Legoland FL does this, but it's reasonable, and there's no tram (last I went). We walked when we did the driving thing anyway, a further walk would help burn off the calories consumed that day.

Speedy1998
03-15-2016, 12:49 PM
I don't have a problem with this, there is a tram, and I have never had a issue leaving the park in a car, even at busy times like Christmas week. If people want to pay extra to park close, let them.

DisneyGiant
03-15-2016, 01:01 PM
People think I'm crazy because I pay an extra $40 one way for extra leg room on the plane.

If people want to do that for parking - I say go for it.

But I really want it to flop. :) The trams take you right up the entrance for goodness sake :)

Speedy1998
03-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Legoland FL does this, but it's reasonable, and there's no tram (last I went). We walked when we did the driving thing anyway, a further walk would help burn off the calories consumed that day.

Not sure it would be a father walk, I usually get to the parks for rope drop, and am directed to parked in a lot on the extreme left of the park. Walking to the gate I pass lots that are filled in later in the day.

Speedy1998
03-15-2016, 01:08 PM
But I really want it to flop. :) The trams take you right up the entrance for goodness sake :)

When put that way it almost sounds like a plan to fleece the first timers.

Fangorn
03-15-2016, 02:34 PM
When put that way it almost sounds like a plan to fleece the first timers.

And that would be something new?

Steve

DizneyRox
03-15-2016, 03:45 PM
Not sure it would be a father walk, I usually get to the parks for rope drop, and am directed to parked in a lot on the extreme left of the park. Walking to the gate I pass lots that are filled in later in the day.
Sorry, I didn't mention... The walking was at Disney. We never leverage the tram, regardless of how close we park. If it's further, then more calories. Think of it as making lemonade out of lemons.

If you don't feel like walking, just follow the green line. Used to be closer parking at Epcot, MGM and AK if my memory serves me right.

Tekneek
03-15-2016, 04:42 PM
It is no wonder that businesses feel pressured to 'be like everybody else.' Guests/customers even expect them all to do the same things. I must have really been foolish to fight against that mindset in my own business life.

DizneyRox
03-15-2016, 06:40 PM
It is no wonder that businesses feel pressured to 'be like everybody else.' Guests/customers even expect them all to do the same things. I must have really been foolish to fight against that mindset in my own business life.
You never heard "monkey see, monkey do" growing up?

Drives me crazy in meetings when our business partners come to the table with ideas and they they pull out screenshot of competitors websites. Funny thing, we just decommissioned one of these brilliant ideas after 4 or 5 years. Never sold one..

ChipNDale79
03-17-2016, 11:14 AM

So basically Disney is no longer a trend setter, they are just simply followers. Disney is/was the best because they were different than everyone else, everyone wanted to be like them, instead of the other way around.

Park Hopper
03-17-2016, 11:20 AM

I agree and that seems to be the common defense when anyone brings up displeasure with something Disney is doing. I just long for the days when Disney stood out as a leader and they increased profits by building, not cutting. Even the new additions that they are building seem kind of like a reactionary measure to Universal, almost like they were forced into it.

I miss the company that was a leader and not a follower. To me, they no longer stand-out as a special company - they are just like any other themepark company (at least they are getting there). We will still go, although not as often, and we will have a good time. However, I do not have that same feeling of excitement and loyalty that I used to. I am hoping the new additions bring back some of that 'magic' but there will be a part of me always wondering why it took them so long to build. In the mean time, we will also be spending less at Disney and more at Universal and other places - something we did not even think about a few years ago. This is not out of spite or boycott or anything - it is simply the result of other companies offering new experiences on par (perhaps better in some cases) with Disney.

Park Hopper
03-17-2016, 11:23 AM
So basically Disney is no longer a trend setter, they are just simply followers. Disney is/was the best because they were different than everyone else, everyone wanted to be like them, instead of the other way around.

Funny - this is my sentiment exactly. You posted my thoughts a few minutes before me!

waymickey
03-17-2016, 01:33 PM
When I was there this past December they reversed parked and if you arrived early you were directed to park near the back. The later you went the closer parking was. One afternoon we got to EPCOT and parked on the grass very close to the monorail. It was the best parking ever.
I would not pay for preferred parking and if that is what others wan so be it. But I would rather use that money for something else like a mickey pop!!:bar: I know going to the parks it will be a lot of walking regardless and parking far means extra mickey pops!! HAHAHAHA

Sylvia
03-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Love your thinking waymickey. The more Mickey bars consumed during a vacation, the better. Walking all day is the best exercise, and let's me indulge in one of my favorite cold treats.

brad192
03-17-2016, 07:19 PM
I posted this last October as a joke, when they raised parking rates yet again:

__________________________________________________ ______________________
AHA! That's It!.......TIERED PARKING! :thedolls:

Tier 1 - Back 1/3 of the lot, tram service every 20 mins. $20
Tier 2 - Middle 1/3 of the lot, tram service every 10 mins. $30
Tier 3 - Front 1/3 of the lot, continual tram service. $40
VIP FastPark - Special roped off area with limo service to the gate. $150

It's a win-win for everybody, and enhances the guest experience! (Don't forget the gift shops at every tram pickup point). :mickey:
I guess they DO read posts on this website - and grab ideas from them! :rolleyes:

BrerGnat
03-17-2016, 10:17 PM
I posted this last October as a joke, when they raised parking rates yet again:

AHA! That's It!.......TIERED PARKING! :thedolls:

Tier 1 - Back 1/3 of the lot, tram service every 20 mins. $20
Tier 2 - Middle 1/3 of the lot, tram service every 10 mins. $30
Tier 3 - Front 1/3 of the lot, continual tram service. $40
VIP FastPark - Special roped off area with limo service to the gate. $150

It's a win-win for everybody, and enhances the guest experience! (Don't forget the gift shops at every tram pickup point). :mickey:
I guess they DO read posts on this website - and grab ideas from them! :rolleyes:

Oh, that's funny!

Terra
03-18-2016, 07:12 AM
:haha: I remember that!

Barring any disability, I have to say though [don't throw too many tomatoes at me! ;)] How much lazier as a society can we get though. Now granted, the MK/TTC parking lot is pretty big. But honestly, At EPCOT, AK, and DS, we never take the tram. We park and walk. Which we've found we can make it in about the same time as we can waiting for the tram, going through the stampede and the people who suddenly like to cut in line! LOL

No way would I pay more to park closer. Reminds me of the people who will sit for 5 minutes at a store parking lot while someone loads everything up and pulls out [just to get a closer spot], all the while clogging up the lane!

Cass&KenziesMom
03-18-2016, 07:30 PM
:haha: I remember that!

But honestly, At EPCOT, AK, and DS, we never take the tram. We park and walk. Which we've found we can make it in about the same time as we can waiting for the tram, going through the stampede and the people who suddenly like to cut in line! LOL

We walk too and honestly depending on where we are in the MK parking lot we'll walk there too. The last time we went to AK we walked up to the tram stop and then decided to walk. We made it all the way to the entrance and the people that were waiting to board the tram when we walked up still hadn't even boarded. Sometimes it's just faster to walk.