PDA

View Full Version : California Grill worththe cost?

mgmnut
03-08-2016, 05:35 PM
All, I am planning our next trip in June. My twins will be graduating HS the week we go. This trip it will be DW, DD, DS, myself, as well as BIL and SIL (wifes fav brother).

We normally plan one special thing to do each trip, last trip we did an Epcot Illuminations Cruise and really enjoyed it.

This trip I was thinking for a special night we would just get reservations at The California Grill for the 6 of us for a nice dinner, and then watch the fireworks from the observation deck. (already have reserved)

For those of you that have eaten there and then seen the fireworks from the deck is it worth the Hype? Is the view of the fireworks from the observation deck that much more memorable? I 've looked at the new Wishes dessert cruise or thought to re-do the illuminations cruise, but that dessert cruise is 100 bucks a pop and I just don't think its worth the price. I plan on picking up the bill for this meal and I am thinking 6 for dinner at Cali will be $400 - $500+ after all is said and done so I want to be sure everyone is going to enjoy it.

If anyone has any other ideas for a special event I would love to hear it, whether it is dining related or not.

Itchy
03-08-2016, 06:12 PM
We have eaten there a number of time and once since the refurb. The food was very good we had the Bison steak and really enjoyed it. We have always been there on the dining plan so we did not have the big ticket to deal with.

As for the fireworks we always had an early adr and never made it back to see them. Our loss I guess.

We have stepped out on the deck and the view from there is great.

Hope some of this helps...:mickey:

Kwesty
03-08-2016, 07:50 PM
My family of four ate at the California Grill in early December. It was our first time. My husband and I both felt that the food did not hold up to the over $300 bill. We did have drinks with dinner, so it probably would have been closer to $250 without drinks. Although our waiter was very good, the bartender was actually rude when I asked her to recommend a wine. She said, "how can I tell you that, only you know what you like." Seriously? Frankly, I felt it was VERY overrated. Our meals at Ohanas and Boma were much better, although apples to oranges I suppose. We were there during the fireworks but since we had a Park view room at the Contemporary we actually had a better view from our balcony :blush: The observation deck was extremely crowded and adults were shameless about taking up the railing instead of letting kids go to the front. (Nothing irritates me more!) So parents were putting their kids on their shoulder, which totally freaked me out!!!:(

mrte62
03-08-2016, 08:05 PM
Had three meals prior and one post renovation. Here is my review which was of the 9 TS meals we had during our last trip:

#1: California Grill – the standard by which all others are judged. Appetizers included a new pastrami flat-bread, multiple, mega-sushi rolls, and our youngest son eating bison for the first time. Various desserts ended a perfect meal. The location, the service and of course, the food, makes this a special place. It was nice to have an opportunity to meet the chef who created the pastrami flat-bread.

The whole package makes this our favorite family spot at WDW.

SBETigg
03-08-2016, 08:50 PM
Worth it? That depends on you. I always think it's worth it to spend money on a memorable meal, and I've never been disappointed at California Grill (though some visits have been better than others). Kwesty, sorry you had a snippy bartender. They are usually quite willing to recommend and pour you a taste before you decide on a wine by the glass.

Go to the second observation deck if you can (there are two, they usually direct you to the one in front but we go to the back one), always less crowded and equally outstanding view, plus depending on timing, you can also see the Electric Light Parade coming around to the Contemporary.

Polynesian Dweller
03-08-2016, 10:11 PM
You should also know that head chef, Brian Piasecki, is leaving for an executive position with WDW. That will mean a new chef with his own dishes. Chefs always bring their own touches. Probably will be good but we'll have to see what the menu will be to see how good it will be in the future.

mechanic
03-09-2016, 12:19 AM
The view is very nice but I thought it seemed far away. The food is first rate, but look at the menu and decide if it sounds like food you would enjoy, then you will not be disapoiinted.

SurferStitch
03-09-2016, 11:43 AM
DH and I dined there this past December (first time since the refurb), and absolutely loved it yet again!!

Our server was fantastic, and gave me some wonderful wine recommendations. All were spot on and perfect choices.

Our food was exactly as we wanted (taste, temp, etc.). We weren't thrilled being stuck over on the far side of the restaurant looking out over the rooftop, but you can't have it all. We asked to be seated so we could face MK, but they were saving those tables for parties of 4. People who marched in in their park attire got primo seating, while DH and I dressed to the 9's were tucked away from everything. Oh well.

We spent about $250 for our meal after the TiW discount. We will definitely go back again.

mgmnut
03-09-2016, 01:19 PM
You should also know that head chef, Brian Piasecki, is leaving for an executive position with WDW. That will mean a new chef with his own dishes. Chefs always bring their own touches. Probably will be good but we'll have to see what the menu will be to see how good it will be in the future.

Do you know when this change is happening? I'm wondering if the menu will change prior to our trip.

Polynesian Dweller
03-09-2016, 09:14 PM
Do you know when this change is happening? I'm wondering if the menu will change prior to our trip.

No specific date, but since it has been announced it will be fairly soon, perhaps less than 2 months. These things are typically not delayed very long once the announcement is made.

jenperich
03-12-2016, 09:34 AM
My husband and I LOVED it! We went before the reno and we were on the dining plan. But the atmosphere, food, staff, and view were just outstanding. It's a little loud, but so worth it - IMHO. Have a wonderful trip.