PDA

View Full Version : Planning Vacation for Christmas Help!

GoofyAnt0605
02-16-2016, 12:54 PM
Hello,

I am a long time reader and posted previously (years ago) but could not remember my old log in info!

My family and I are planning a trip the week leading up to Christmas this year (depending on my wife's school schedule). I have a few questions:

1. Are there discounts around that time of the year?

2. Does the Disney Visa offer discounts on hotel rooms still? If so, do they do so during Christmas?

3. Has anyone ever priced out the educator's discount that is offered for park tickets and compared it to vacatin packages? If so, what ended up being cheaper.

4. With it being busier during this time, will a 5 night 6 day vacation be sufficient? If not, will one extra day be worth it? We are looking to go from the 17th - 22nd or 23rd depending on vacation time I have left over from my job.

5. Any recommendations on hotels value or lower priced moderates?

Thanks in advanced!

faline
02-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Welcome back!!

Christmas is a very busy time of year at Disney World. You can expect the crowds to increase quite a lot from your date of arrival until you leave. Typically, discounts are not offered during the busiest times of year but you can keep an eye on the accommodations forum where discounts would be noted as they are announced.

I'm not familiar with an educator's discount on tickets - is that something that needs to be purchased through the school system? I am aware that the Swan and Dolphin do offer educator discounts on their resorts. While these are not Disney resorts, they are located on Disney property and many of the advantages to staying on Disney property are extended to these resorts as well.

For assistance in getting the best deal, I'd suggest working with Magical Journeys. They will book your trip and keep an eye out for any discounts that might apply to you and will make the necessary adjustments for you.

I always advocate for the extra day if the budget will allow it!!

joonyer
02-16-2016, 03:20 PM
WDW resort rooms will not be discounted, they will be at peak season prices. But there may be free dining packages offered during the time you are planning to visit. In 2014, we were able to take advantage of free dining by checking in by Dec. 23rd (that was the last day for the offer that year), so we moved our arrival day up to take advantage, since we were going to be paying paying full room rates anyway. Don't know whether they will offer free dining this year, but I would inquire with Magical Journeys to help you plan your trip; they WILL find the best deal for you, and will change your reservation at no charge (and no hassle for you) if better discounts come up after you have booked.

Lindslou
02-22-2016, 09:15 AM
I have done the week before Xmas (including xmas) trip and the crowds can be intense. I'd recommend the extra day if you can. The crowds do die down the couple of days before Xmas so you could factor that in if you don't have an issue flying home that close to Xmas. The year I did it they did have free dining but that was 2010.

GoofyAnt0605
04-26-2016, 10:56 AM
We got everything set up for our trip with the free dining that was released yesterday! We opted to go the week before Christmas/week of!

KAT1811
04-27-2016, 10:29 AM
Hi, I think I can help a little bit.

1.) Disney is offering their "free dining" promotion for check-in dates December 10-21. As long as you check in on one of those dates the "free dining" promotion will apply to your package.

2.) Disney Visa does release special cardholder only discounts periodically. Not completely sure what they are or how they work.

3.) No clue on the educator's discounts

4.) It is INSANE around Christmas the closer you get to the actual holiday. We moved to the Winter Garden/Windermere area last summer (6 miles from the Castle) and have annual passes so when we had family visiting for Christmas this year they wanted to visit Disney and to be completely honest the crowds were the worst I have ever seen in my life. We waited over a half hour just to order lunch the week after Christmas. If you travel during this time I would highly suggest fastpasses for all of your must do attractions and then just see what you can see from there.

5.) Given the time of the year and that this is a short trip a value would be great. Clean, cute, Disney place to lie your head at night before heading back to the parks. I love the All Star Movies Resort for a value and one of my favorite moderate resorts is Coronado Springs. But, that being said, I love all the Disney resorts and wouldn't hesitate staying at any of them so maybe grab the best deal that suits your needs?

mechanic
05-02-2016, 01:41 AM
From my 2015 trip I would agree that the crowds build the closer you get , but Christmas eve is actually not too bad. Christmas day, stay away from magic kingdom. Unless you are night owls, then go after the fireworks. Park will be open until 1 or 2 am.