PDA

View Full Version : How far in advance to book a May trip?

mom2morgan
01-31-2016, 04:33 PM
Our HOPE (If the Canadian dollar bounces back a bit) is to go in May of 2017. What is the earliest that I should be able to book that? I'd like to do it at the earliest possible time, but am not sure when the rates for 2017 are released, or how early Disney would let us book. Also - does anyone know if May traditionally has any discount offers?

j2k
01-31-2016, 04:45 PM
We are looking at same timeframe and from what I've been told you can't book a package until the prices are released, usually in the summer -- so keep an eye out for it this summer.

If you wanted to book room onlybyou could do that up to, I think, 500 days ahead -- so you could book that now.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-31-2016, 07:08 PM
Exactly! Packages for the next year are usually released mid-summer. You can book a room-only sooner, but if you're planning on a package, there isn't a need to.

I've used Magical Journeys to book, since they will keep an eye out for discounts, since the discounts are usually released much closer to the trip, once Disney "knows" if they "need" to offer a discount.

We've been a number of times in May, and discounts are hit-and-miss. Sometimes there have been great ones, othertimes not so much.

j2k
02-01-2016, 04:04 PM
once Disney "knows" if they "need" to offer a discount.

This is why it's a double edged sword for me. I am so excited to be planning for 2017 that I want to book ASAP even though I know I don't need to book ASAP.

I want to book so that our dates are pinned down and our package cost is locked in... and so that DH doesn't back out. Having it booked has him committed. :secret:

But it is people like me who are the reason why discounts aren't offered sometimes because they know how many people to expect, how many rooms are booked, etc and if it is sufficient then they won't offer a discount or the offered discount will be less.

It's a fine line to balance.

Buttercup
02-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Ugh I'm in the same boat as you with the crummy Canadian dollar. Remember the good ole' days when they used to have "Canadian At Par" deals? *Sigh* looks like those days are gone.

The good news is, you're not planning on going until May 2017. So that gives you well over a year to plan & save money, and it gives our dollar a little time to improve. I wouldn't bother booking your hotel etc. until late summer, even fall of this year.

BUT, what I would suggest doing is, if you're buying park tickets, do that sooner than later. They have been raising prices on park tickets every year for a while now. It used to be sometime in the summer but you never know when they could drop that bomb. So I'd buy my park tickets now at the lower rate, and they'll still be valid in 2017.

Then you just need a room-only reservation for your resort stay (and those pop up frequently). One of the gals at Magical Journeys can probably tell you about past deals. Worst case scenario? If you have CAA (the Canadian equivalent to AAA) you can probably get that discount on a room-only reservation.

Tink1
02-01-2016, 05:08 PM
BUT, what I would suggest doing is, if you're buying park tickets, do that sooner than later. They have been raising prices on park tickets every year for a while now. It used to be sometime in the summer but you never know when they could drop that bomb. So I'd buy my park tickets now at the lower rate, and they'll still be valid in 2017.

Lately, the better deals have been through WDWTC which require a ticket purchase with the package. So it is not always in your best interest to buy tickets in advance. Nothing is cut and dry anymore with Disney.

If you have CAA (the Canadian equivalent to AAA) you can probably get that discount on a room-only reservation

Disney and AAA/CAA have parted ways. They no longer offer these discounts.

Nanc

Buttercup
02-02-2016, 05:25 PM
Lately, the better deals have been through WDWTC which require a ticket purchase with the package. So it is not always in your best interest to buy tickets in advance. Nothing is cut and dry anymore with Disney.

Disney and AAA/CAA have parted ways. They no longer offer these discounts.

Nanc
Really, they parted ways with CAA? Aw man that stinks. That was always my last-ditch plan! :unsure:

That's interesting about packages w/tickets working out to be less expensive. I had no idea! The packages never appealed to me because they force you to buy tickets for everyone in your family (or they force everyone in the room to have the same length of ticket)... but in my case, I never needed a ticket since I'm an AP holder. So I never bothered with those package deals. Interesting..... thanks Nancy! That's why I use Magical Journeys!!! :teach:

krysseijo
02-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Good luck with your trip planning! I am the same way so I can't blame you. The package opportunity should be got late spring/summer.

Let me know how that goes!