PDA

View Full Version : "Back to the POLY" Questions....

RavsRuleDisney!
01-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Well, its been awhile but this March we are heading back to the World and staying at our original fave - the POLY!! :thumbsup: We briefly poked around on our last trip in '14 (dinner at OHana's of course!) when the lobby and the pool were still being worked on. Have since seen bunches of photos of the (almost) finished product and read a few posts here and elsewhere. We are staying at a deluxe studio at the bungalows and villas section.

So what can we expect? Who has stayed in the studios? Has the outside ambiance/waking paths etc. changed much? Main pool done yet? Any bigger? Any tidbits from those who have stayed since the updates/upgrades would be great. I definitely think I will miss the 'feeling' of the old main lobby - well themed - kind of a dark, tropical space with all the water, foliage, dark woods....But we shall see.

Polynesian Dweller
01-31-2016, 05:33 PM
First the easy question, yes the main pool is finished and from the recent pictures the quiet pool (now called Oasis Pool should open very soon and it's a major change, looks very nice.

The paths have changed somewhat bu not all that much. Biggest change is around the front of what was Tahiti. Real improvement to me. But if you already know the old paths they haven't changed enough to be a problem.

I'm not as much of a fan of the grounds as I was though. To me they've lost some of the intimacy that gave it the Polynesian village feeling. More of a modern resort hotel which probably fits what guests today want. A bit more upscale feeling. Same thing in the lobby but I'll admit I kind of like the openness now.

You'll still love it but the Poly will feel different to you.

ThanxForNoticin
02-03-2016, 12:09 PM
Thanks very much for this info. We are in a similar situation, "returning" to the Poly for the first time in a long time in March. Really looking forward to it, but hoping the construction might be completed by March. Once the Oasis Pool is complete, is there still other construction going on, or will the work being done at Poly actually be done for now?

baldburke
02-03-2016, 12:24 PM
According to a Tikiman Facebook post yesterday, DVC news reports that the Pago Pago villas were added to DVC inventory and that the east pool is "almost done" So aside from regular maintenance, most of the the Poly refresh should be done by spring. We felt that the overall feel of the resort (excluding construction fences) remains the same. Some may not like the loss of sunset pointe, the addition of the bungalows and the revamped lobby, but overall the changes were all for the good. It's actually nice having the pool enclosed (if they are enforcing it these days). Hopefully the hot tub problems are behind them. Love the Poly!

RavsRuleDisney!
02-09-2016, 01:32 PM
Hopefully the hot tub problems are behind them. Love the Poly!

Follow-up to my original post - what problems were/are they having with the hot tubs? Asking for the DW who has them on her "to-do" list.... :thumbsup: