PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans - Riverside Gardenview (room requests)

nutsnbolts
01-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Anyone can make recommendations as to where is the "best" place to stay within Port Orleans Riverside with Gardenside View?

I'd like to "request" a specific location if possible and I know it may be a long shot but if there are "better" rooms location wise to bus stops, or away from bus stops or what not I'm hoping someone can help with this.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-26-2016, 01:58 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to be answering this correctly. I'm not sure if your primary concern is building location, or if you are looking for any building with a "garden view". Garden view would be a room category upgrade (like riverview, king bed) etc. that can be found in either the Alligator Bayou section or in the Manors.

Here is the distinction, when booking you can request a specific room level; standard, garden, river etc. or you can request a preferred building (or royal room over in the Manors). Other than standard room, each of the other levels would be an upcharge over a standard room.

In the Alligator Bayou section, Buildings 14-15-18-27 are deemed "preferred locations" so there would be an upcharge to secure a reservation in one of those locations. We have stayed in 3 of the four buildings mentioned, and all were great. Easy walking distance to the food court, main pool, bus stop and close to quiet pools as well. We've never actually booked a preferred location, I've always, when making my reservation, requested one of the buildings, knowing that I may or may not get it (always have). For me, I generally don't like paying upcharges.

Its pretty easy to find a resort map online that will give you a good layout of the resort and all its buildings. Just because of the theming and how the buildings are laid out, I would think the Alligator Bayou section would provide "nicer" garden views than the Manor section.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-26-2016, 06:20 PM
We've stayed at POR twice, both in gardenview rooms. The first time we were in building #18, and it was awesome. We loved the rustic look and quick walk to the South (Main) bus stop and main building.

The second time we stayed in a Royal Room in Oak Manor. We still loved the fairly short walk to the main area and bus stop.

So, for me, location is the main thing ... I want to be as close to the main building as possible. I would recommend making that request, although I would suspect many people make the same request, so you may or may not get it.

If you will be taking the bus, I would also think about requesting a room close to a bus stop. This may mean that you're far from the main building, since there are bus stops throughout the resort, but it will cut down on the walking at the end of the day.

I don't think I'm much help, and I'm sorry ... it all depends on what YOU want, and what will help make your vacation magical.

If it was me, I'd request ground floor and close to the main building. :)

nutsnbolts
01-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Thank you both what you have suggested. I guess to clarify what I was looking for...

I'm currently staying at Port Orleans with a Garden View.

Where that is..in relations to the entire resort, I'm sure there are better "requested" locations.

It seems like from my understanding, the better areas would be somewhere close to the Main Lobby in the Alligator bayou area. If that is the case then I would go from there.

I think also there is a 2nd floor and ground floor? Any preference there?

#1donaldfan
01-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Ground floors are always preferred by me. The AB section is the closest and building 14 is the absolute closest to the South Depot and the Food Court. Over on the Mansion side there are those that are pretty close ( I cannot remember the numbers) to the Main Building, but still a short 60 second walk, then of course those that are several minute walks away. There are pros and cons to each building, but for us we LOVE building 14 !!

Goofy4TheWorld
01-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Anyone can make recommendations as to where is the "best" place to stay within Port Orleans Riverside with Gardenside View?

I'd like to "request" a specific location if possible and I know it may be a long shot but if there are "better" rooms location wise to bus stops, or away from bus stops or what not I'm hoping someone can help with this.

I saw on one of your other posts that you are a family of 5, so you should keep in mind that only certain buildings at Port Orleans have the extra bed that makes the room accommodate 5 people. I am not familiar with the specifics of which areas or themes have the extra bed, but it may be that there aren't really any request that you can make due to the fact that you are in the "murphy bed" rooms.

Just a thought.

nutsnbolts
01-27-2016, 04:47 PM
I didn't know that. That is a good point either way. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Yes, if you are booked at POR with a family of 5 (assuming the 5th is over age 2, maybe 3, can't recall) you will be automatically placed in the Alligator Bayou section. Pretty certain that is the only section that can accomodate a family of 5, and until recently was the only area of an moderate that could accomodate 5 (CBR can now).

Garden view is just that, a view, and it could be in almost any building, be it close or far away from the main facilities. So if your one requirement is close proximity, then you should look into booking a preferred building first, then within that context a preferred view. Granted both of those would be upcharges.

As I mentioned, we've been fortunate to put in specific building "requests" and have been lucky to get them without having to pay the upcharge.