PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer Island?

KiNg4aDaY
01-18-2016, 10:46 AM
I have a very strange question to ask, and I am kind of ashamed to ask it...LOL. Considering I am a former cast member, and I have been to the parks more times than I can count I have NEVER been out to Tom Sawyer Island. Anytime I would go to the parks with friends they would just tell me that there is nothing out there and it's not worth going to. So my questions are:

1. Is there really nothing on the island worth visiting?
2. If you would say go out to the island, is it something an 11 year old girl would like? I'm going with her to the parks in March...it will be her first visit.
3. How much time does it usually take?

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.

faline
01-18-2016, 12:14 PM
We go now and again. I think it's more fun for kids than for adults and, in fact, it's a nice place to let kids run off some steam. As far as what's there, the main thing is a different vantage point to look back across the water at various areas of the park. There is a path around the island which takes you through some caves. You can visit the fort and take a "secret" exit out of the fort. You cross over a barrel bridge. If you packed your lunch with you, the last time we were there, we did notice an out of the way picnic table that would be perfect for a quiet lunch. There is a quick service restaurant but it is rarely, and only sporadically in operation these days.

MrPeetrie
01-18-2016, 12:45 PM
We went on our most recent visit to Walt Disney World. My DS5 has a fascination with bats and we got word there were actually two or three bats on the island. We went on a bat excursion. The caves frightened him a bit. Aunt Polly's was closed. The island felt "deserted," almost as though we were the only ones on it. (We weren't.) It felt like it was scheduled for demolition and we were viewing it for the last time. Or, that a major rehab is on the way in the near future and nothing is being done to enhance the experience until then. Either way, the island felt neglected and I thought it was uneventful. I'm not in a hurry to return with it in its current condition.

Stu29573
01-18-2016, 01:56 PM
We went with my six year old grandson over Christmas, and he really enjoyed it! I didn't feel like it was neglected at all, but it did feel "rustic." (Its supposed to) TSI is one of the few unmolested gems still left, IMO. Here's hoping that the "powers that be" never discover it!

Lindsey
01-18-2016, 03:45 PM
My nephews & niece, (ages 6 - 12), all like it. It's a nice break from the rest of the park. They love going through the caves & visiting the fort, and since I liked it as kid too I enjoy running around the island with the children in my family. :)

LVT
01-18-2016, 08:08 PM
I always go to the barrel bridge. That is my thrill level. :D

baldburke
01-18-2016, 08:15 PM
We haven't been in probably 10. Maybe next time is a good time. Thanks for the reminder!

joonyer
01-18-2016, 10:12 PM
My boys loved it when they were younger. I did too. They would spend hours there playing if we let them. It doesn't have modern bells & whistles, Animatronics and thrills like many of the newer attractions. But you are allowed to use unlimited imagination while visiting there. Caves & a Fort! Secret Passages and a floating barrel bridge! Yeah it takes imagination, but if kids like to use their imaginations, they'll love Tom Sawyer's Island. Of all the attractions at MK, its the one I'd choose to have in my back yard.

Main Street Jim
01-18-2016, 11:53 PM
Go upstairs in the fort and shoot the (air) guns at the passing riverboat!

Giggy
01-25-2016, 01:21 PM
We normally go once per visit and I enjoy it, it's a nice change of pace from the rest of the park and I enjoy being able to have a look around and explore. :mickey:

deedee73
01-25-2016, 09:18 PM
We tend to go at least once per trip except our lst one when we had 2 handicapped family members (one with a wheelchair & one on a ECV). We really enjoy the quiet & solitude. Gives you a chance to catch your breath from all the running bw attractions. I also love all the secret little paths & of course the shade. I think an active 9 yr old would enjoy the experience unless of course she is a diva who doesn't like the outdoors.

Mendelson
01-26-2016, 09:52 AM
Go upstairs in the fort and shoot the (air) guns at the passing riverboat!

And at those on Big Thunder! Just a matter of time before they take these guns away, of course....

joonyer
01-29-2016, 11:18 PM
And at those on Big Thunder! Just a matter of time before they take these guns away, of course....

I hope they will leave them alone. But on the other hand, I'm kinda surprised they haven't taken them out already. Can't have kids playing with pretend guns. Never mind that kids of my generation spent hours and hours playing Army and Cowboys and Indians with toy guns. I know, it's not politically correct anymore . . . unless its in video games.

Eric87
02-13-2016, 01:31 PM
I have a very strange question to ask, and I am kind of ashamed to ask it...LOL. Considering I am a former cast member, and I have been to the parks more times than I can count I have NEVER been out to Tom Sawyer Island. Anytime I would go to the parks with friends they would just tell me that there is nothing out there and it's not worth going to. So my questions are:

1. Is there really nothing on the island worth visiting? Yes, there is a fort as others mentioned with windows towards Big Thunder. Also the caves are very cool. Also the barrel bridge is really cool and the trail around the island gives some different perspective to other areas of the park.
2. If you would say go out to the island, is it something an 11 year old girl would like? I'm going with her to the parks in March...it will be her first visit. When we went with my 10 year old nephew in the caves, I would jump ahead quickly and hide in the dark shadows and pop out and scare him. He had a blast
3. How much time does it usually take?
You can probably experience the whole island in an hour.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it.
Enjoy your trip. My answers are above in your quote.

Lindslou
02-16-2016, 05:24 PM
We go now and again. I think it's more fun for kids than for adults and, in fact, it's a nice place to let kids run off some steam. As far as what's there, the main thing is a different vantage point to look back across the water at various areas of the park. There is a path around the island which takes you through some caves. You can visit the fort and take a "secret" exit out of the fort. You cross over a barrel bridge. If you packed your lunch with you, the last time we were there, we did notice an out of the way picnic table that would be perfect for a quiet lunch. There is a quick service restaurant but it is rarely, and only sporadically in operation these days.

I second Faline! It's a lovely way to get away from the crowds. I've always wanted to do a picnic over there. Plus, I'm of the school of thought that you should try everything at Disney once.