PDA

View Full Version : First Cruise Questions

Kplaster
01-07-2016, 12:20 PM
Alright I need some help. What all is included in the Disney Cruises? What excursions do you recommend on the Bahamian cruise? Any preferences over Disney Magic or Disney Dream and why? Do any advance reservations need to be made? I've looked at the Disney site and read some of the other posts but I'm still a bit confused and the posts seem to be a bit more dated. I appreciate any advice and info you have. :mickey:

P.S. the trip is for 1 dad and 1 child (9).

baldburke
01-07-2016, 12:46 PM
It's personal preference, but we like the older, smaller ships (Magic & Wonder). The extra 1,600 people really makes a difference for us. Plus the extra crowds on Castaway Cay are noticeable. One suggestions I would have is to do your excursions (snorkeling, swimming with stingrays, etc.) in Nassau. You won't get the Disney touch, but you'll save a few bucks. Good luck!

BrerGnat
01-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Most things are included in your cruise fare. Most food, non alcoholic beverages, entertainment, are all included. Gratuities (run about $12.50/person per day), shore excursions, and alcohol are extra. Some places on the ships have extra charge food (sweet shop on the Dream, smoothie bar, fancy coffee shop, candy and popcorn at the movie theater).

Disney Magic was recently renovated and some new things were added. Same goes for the Dream. I love the Dream, have not tried the Magic, but have a feeling I won't like it as it just seems too small. I love the bigger mega ships though in general. Castaway Cay is plenty large enough for everyone. We were on a sold out sailing of the Dream and we were surrounded by empty chairs at the second family beach (where the waterslides are).

I personally can't recommend any shore excursions for the Bahamas sailings. We pay for the ship so we don't get off in Nassau. Got off once for 30 min and turned right around to get back on the ship. We don't "do" animal encounter type stuff so I can't comment on that. I would actually enjoy the jet ski excursion on Castaway. I recommend checking that one out. You can ride doubles with your son behind you. If your kid is adventurous, he would probably love it. Ours were not old enough on our last cruise.

As far as reservations go, unless you want a cabana on Castaway Cay ($500) or a meal at one of the adult only restaurants, there are no reservations you have to make. Everything you can do on the ship that requires tickets (some character meets) can only be obtained once you board the ship at Guest Services.

I would recommend looking at the deck plans for both ships to see what all is offered. Since its just you and your son, either ship will be good but I have a feeling your son might enjoy the Dream more, as the Aquaduck is really neat and the new kids club areas feature Star Wars and Disney Infinity stuff.

joanna71985
01-08-2016, 09:08 PM
I've done both the Dream and Magic (new version). I really liked both ships. I preferred the sail-away/pirate shows on the Dream, AquaDunk on the Magic, and the staterooms on the Dream. Shows were a tie (though the Magic now has the Tangled show, which I really want to see). You can't go wrong with either