PDA

View Full Version : 10 hour layover at JFK- suggestions?

tundramom
01-03-2016, 03:58 PM
We are going to Aulani in Feb and on our return flight we will be at JFK from 7AM-5PM. Looking for ideas to kill the time. We are pretty adventurous and prefer to be on our feet but will not have a lot of cold weather gear with us! We've never been to NYC so we are open to all suggestions! Thanks in advance:mickey:

HollyB
01-24-2016, 12:13 PM
Figure on at least 60 minutes each way into NYC from JFK (depending on traffic and the method you use to get there). So you'll have about 5 or 6 hours in the city--allowing time to get back through security. I would go to the Times Square area and just walk around. That midtown area has a lot to see and great people watching. Check out the theatre district, walk by Radio City and Rockefeller Center. Watch the ice skaters. You could check out the line for the Top of the Rock. It's $32 a person to go up, but you get great views of the whole city and beyond if it is a clear day. If it's mobbed, skip it because it can take a long time to get up there (what with the "picture ops" and everything they foist on you). Have a slice of New York Pizza for lunch or splurge at one of the touristy restaurants in that area (Ellen's Stardust if you have kids who like Glee, for example. The waiters and waitresses sing the whole time you're there, so don't expect to be able to carry on a major conversation). Or there's Lindy's (famous for cheesecake). Those are both quite pricey and I wouldn't wait to do either, but if you could get right in . . . Just poking around that area could eat up all your time.

DisneyFan1979
02-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Since you will have just come from Hawaii's beautiful weather, NYC's February temps may be a shock to the system, so I might suggest the Metropolitan Museum of Art or the Museum of Natural History for an indoor activity. All have plenty to do and see to fill your time and within a couple blocks both have nice diners/delis to have a moderately priced classic meal before you head back to the airport.