PDA

View Full Version : Took advantage of offer, staying in POR instead of POFQ. some questions!

mandaep
12-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Staying April 21-28 in POR instead of POFQ. Of course POFQ wasn't included in new discount so I looked at prices for preferred locations, requesting ground level 14 & 15. we have not stayed at this resort and i should have done more research knowing that discounts were bound to come out. this saved us a couple hundred $. We also thought it wouldn't hurt to try out a new resort.

some questions:

- was that area recently refurbished? what are those rooms like?

- how are the buses in that area? one pro about doing POR so far that I can tell is that we are not going to have to travel all the way to another resort and pick up others before we go.

- what are your overall impressions of the area? I know I can do some research and look back but I want some updated opinions!

- the bus still goes to DTD right?

Thanks all!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-28-2015, 04:28 PM
We love Port Orleans, have stayed there five times I think in total. I believe the entire resort received a makeover 2 years or so back, giving the rooms queen size beds.

POR vs POFQ is always an ongoing debate on the boards, there almost always seems to be a thread citing the pros and cons. The single biggest thing seems to be size. If you look at the resort maps here on Intercot you can clearly see that POR is a bigger resort. Those that like POFQ seem to point towards the smaller intimate resort, with the one bus stop as probably the biggest PRO in favor of FQ.

I've stayed at both. The size of POR doesn't bother me, in fact one of my simple pleasures is to meander the paths through the Aligator Bayou sections, enjoying the theming, the gardens, spanish moss, the river, just everything. I've never found the walks to be too much. POR, with the exception of not having begneits, hands down has the better food court over FQ, and in addition has a sit down restaurant (Boatwrights) that FQ does not have. POR has a much better pool area, again hands down better than FQ, although I thought I saw some threads on refurbishment of Old Man Island (don't know the dates). POR also has better entertainment, with YeeHaw Bob JAckson performing at the River Roost I think Wed-Sundays. A kid friendly high octane fun piano show, should never be missed.

I guess the biggest downside to POR, aside from the size (if that is important to you) would be the buses. Delays our full buses are more likely at POR than at FQ. We've not experienced problems, but the likelihood is greater at POR than over at FQ.

All this said, the two resorts are close enough to walk and share each others amenities.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-28-2015, 07:34 PM
We loved our stays at POR! It is a lovely resort, and we enjoyed feeling "away" from the parks and almost in our own little world. In the Bayou section, the landscaping is so lush that often all you can see from the windows are the trees and shrubs.

We love the pool, both the main pool (with a fairly decent slide) and the smaller, quiet pools, most nights we had a private swim.

Yes, the bus goes to DTD, as does the boat. The boat isn't all that fast, but it is a change from the bus and a nice enough trip down the river.

The food court is excellent, and Boatwright's table-service is a favourite of ours.

I hope you love POR!

titleistboy
12-30-2015, 09:51 AM
We've stayed at POR twice now...everything said is true, so I'll just say using the main bus stop at the lobby is the way to go. Bus waits are always a matter of perception, but I would say the flow and rerouting seems to be managed much better from that stop!

The food court is really quite good, also. We usually prefer to get a later dinner there than anywhere in the parks!

#1donaldfan
01-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Riverside is a great moderate resort with a deluxe feel. It's very quiet and laid back which is a plus coming back from a busy, hot day at a park. The food court is very good and Boatwrights is a very good table service location. There are four bus depots and depending on where you stay you could ride to each one before heading to a park. With the room you requested you will be closest to the South Depot, which is the main one .... you will have to ride through each of the other stops ..that being the most negative thing I can think of with the busses. There are four quiet pools and one signature pool, so if you're a swimmer you're in luck. My favorite thing of Riverside or the FQ is the river. I love running along it from each resort ..... have fun and enjoy, I am certain you will like it !!