PDA

View Full Version : Memory Maker price decrease

TheVBs
12-16-2015, 07:44 AM
This surprised me!

-- Price of the pre-arrival, advance-purchase Memory Maker product, which does not include photos taken within three days of purchase, will decrease from $169 to $149.

-- Price of the standard Memory Maker, which can be used immediately upon purchase, will decrease from $199 to $169.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-16-2015, 09:02 AM
I saw that too! I have to admit though ... I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, what are they taking away, 'cause Disney never lowers prices.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-16-2015, 10:03 AM
The Fed raises interest rates and Disney lowers a price, that's all I need to panic and sell all my stocks and buy cans of soup instead!

BrerGnat
12-16-2015, 10:06 AM
People obviously aren't buying them. This is how you get Disney to lower prices. Vote with your wallet.

TheVBs
12-16-2015, 11:11 AM
I wondered the same thing, if they lowered the price because sales had dropped. Wasn't it originally about half the cost? I realize that didn't include ride and meal photos, but it was a big jump. Just can't remember how much it used to be.

Fangorn
12-16-2015, 09:48 PM
I wondered the same thing, if they lowered the price because sales had dropped. Wasn't it originally about half the cost? I realize that didn't include ride and meal photos, but it was a big jump. Just can't remember how much it used to be.

We purchased the PhotoPass CD (the precursor to Memory Maker) for $99 in Dec 2012. So in just a couple of years it doubled.

I'm not sure I'd jump to the conclusion that sales have dropped and that's the reason for the decrease, though. It's more likely that Disney is now looking at PhotoPass in a different light and has changed the business model for it. I say this because they're now giving it away to passholders, and the pics are available for a year. I think it was either Cindy or Christine (maybe Mel?) who commented on a podcast that since it was free, they were going to start stopping at every photo pass photograIpher they saw and have pictures taken. I believe whoever it was that said that, even if they were joking, may have stumbled onto the real explanation for both the freebie and the price reduction. Disney wants more people standing in random lines to have a picture taken. I've talked previously about one of the goals of FP+ being to actually pack more people into the parks before people begin to feel it's too crowded and leave. If Disney can get a couple thousand people standing in random lines for pictures, they can up the density a bit more even. Data storage is cheap - really cheap - particularly in the quantities Disney is using, and the photographers are already there. Not a whole lot of incremental cost, some great marketing opportunities, and the furthering of a business objective. Brilliant!

I could be mistaken, but my business consultant sense doesn't think so.

Steve

Tekneek
12-17-2015, 10:09 AM
I suspect they believe they had the prices too high and think they can get back to their preferred buy rate with these decreases, but I think Fangorn is onto something with them seeing these not as premium add-ons and instead as distractions. People at WDW will buy/line up for all kinds of things that Disney dangles in front of them, so encouraging you to spend time on photographs opens slots for people in restaurants and attractions.

BrerGnat
12-17-2015, 11:39 AM
I think the numbers of people in line to get photos taken is negligible at best. With the exception of character meets, I have never seen huge lines at photo pass spots.

DisneyGiant
12-17-2015, 12:54 PM
I think the numbers of people in line to get photos taken is negligible at best. With the exception of character meets, I have never seen huge lines at photo pass spots.

Agree with this. There is rarely 2-3 groups waiting with exception of special events & character photos ops (we waited for a while once at the Osborne lights).

I have been getting photopass for the last several years, so I'm happy with the decrease. Adding the ride videos has been an awesome addition - can't wait until they add more. The Seven Dwarves & Tower of Terror videos are really cool to own.

Fangorn
12-17-2015, 04:54 PM

Not what I experienced this past week. Photo pass lines were 4-7 groups deep in most places all the time. We waited for 20 min to get a pic at MK entrance yesterday. Easily saw 50 or more groups waiting along main street.

Steve

TheVBs
12-18-2015, 07:57 AM
Maybe it's a combination of both? Decrease the price so they sell more and the hope that it contributes a little to crowd control?

We always buy it too, so I'm thrilled with the price reduction!

Fangorn
12-18-2015, 12:58 PM
Maybe it's a combination of both? Decrease the price so they sell more and the hope that it contributes a little to crowd control?

Definitely think it's a combination of factors. But the important thing, from a business point of view is that they seem to have re-thought how they can use PhotoPass/MemoryMaker beyond just taking more money directly from guests. To date, PP/MM was treated almost as a separate line of business on a par with balloon or churro sales. Now they appear to see it a part of the larger picture and another tool they can use to control crowds (even if it's just a little bit).

Steve

PirateLover
12-19-2015, 12:59 AM
Not what I experienced this past week. Photo pass lines were 4-7 groups deep in most places all the time. We waited for 20 min to get a pic at MK entrance yesterday. Easily saw 50 or more groups waiting along main street.

Steve
Our experience too. At peak times of day for the shots with the castle lit up, the shots at Osborne lights, the photo pass lines easily reached 30mins or more. We passed on those opportunities although we did take every pic we could if there was no line or it was short. It was our first time purchasing memory maker or any of the photo pass deals for the matter, mostly because it was our first trip with our daughter and we wanted to enjoy the experiences and not be left out of photos or have to grab strangers to take one. I have to say I was impressed with most of the photos. They often zoomed in on her expressions with the characters- shots we would never get ourselves (she turned 1 this trip). We also linked up MDE with family who was there so they could use it as well. I'm really glad we purchased it.

ThanxForNoticin
12-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Our experience too. At peak times of day for the shots with the castle lit up, the shots at Osborne lights, the photo pass lines easily reached 30mins or more. We passed on those opportunities although we did take every pic we could if there was no line or it was short. It was our first time purchasing memory maker or any of the photo pass deals for the matter, mostly because it was our first trip with our daughter and we wanted to enjoy the experiences and not be left out of photos or have to grab strangers to take one. I have to say I was impressed with most of the photos. They often zoomed in on her expressions with the characters- shots we would never get ourselves (she turned 1 this trip). We also linked up MDE with family who was there so they could use it as well. I'm really glad we purchased it.

Do I see a FP+ opportunity for getting a family photo?!!