PDA

View Full Version : Changes in Security Reportedly Headed to Disney Parks 12/17

John
12-14-2015, 04:09 PM

According to my sources, changes are ahead in the way Disney World handles security and shortly thereafter, Disneyland.

Among the changes:

You'll be going thru walk thru scanners similar to the airport along with wand security.
More uniformed and armed police along with K-9 teams

Other in park rule changes:

No more toy guns being sold
No masks for guests 14 and older

My take on this - if you are going to do security, this is a better step towards making it happen. The bag check and allowing people with "no bags" to go thru unfiltered leaves too big a gap where someone with baggy pants, cargo shorts, large long shirt etc. could get something in.

Scanners while not fool proof (as they are likely just metal detectors) at least force everyone to go thru some sort of check point - and hopefully they won't allow people to bypass in any way.

It's kind of a sad commentary as to where we are as a world - but my guess is most of you will not be surprised that this is headed our way.

2Epcot
12-14-2015, 04:38 PM
Make sense ... Maybe they can add some giant Mickey ears to the top of them.

DizHawk
12-14-2015, 04:44 PM
I'm curious what triggered it. Maybe it was the guy that tried to bring the gun in a week or so ago?

ncassidine
12-14-2015, 04:56 PM
According to my sources, changes are ahead in the way Disney World handles security and shortly thereafter, Disneyland.

Among the changes:

You'll be going thru walk thru scanners similar to the airport along with wand security.
More uniformed and armed police along with K-9 teams

No more toy guys being sold
No masks for guests 14and older

My take on this - if you are going to do security, this is a better step towards making it happen. The bag check and allowing people with "no bags" to go thru unfiltered leaves too big a gap where someone with baggy pants, cargo shorts, large long shirt etc. could get something in.

Scanners while not fool proof (as they are likely just metal detectors) at least force everyone to go thru some sort of check point - and hopefully they won't allow people to bypass in any way.

It's kind of a sad commentary as to where we are as a world - but my guess is most of you will not be surprised that this is headed our way.

It seems unlikely they will do this without announcing it first.

sgdisney
12-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Have already noticed tighter security this week. We saw K-9 units at the entrance to MK yesterday and they stopped my husband going into the Studios today to look at his cell phone holder on his belt.

John
12-14-2015, 05:00 PM
It seems unlikely they will do this without announcing it first.

We'll see - it's only a few days away and this came from reliable sources....

My guess is they WOULDN'T announce it ahead of time - so that anyone planning on doing something idiotic wouldn't try to beat the change being made.

Just me speculating there.

Dulcee
12-14-2015, 05:01 PM
This does not surprise me at all. We saw a much heavier security presence all last week at the parks including many K9 teams and an increase in the number of sheriffs officers.

Yungbuck73
12-14-2015, 05:22 PM
We will be there this weekend so I'll let you know how it is

Basket Mommy
12-14-2015, 05:24 PM
I'm really grateful. We were there the week before Thanksgiving and I felt less safe than ever before with the simple bag checks we've always done, especially since it was right after the Paris attacks. As hubby pointed out, anyone wanting to get a firearm through could go with an ankle holster and a pair of baggy pants. He's so reassuring ; )

taleasoldastime
12-14-2015, 05:24 PM
I am relieved. I am not surprised but I am incredibly saddened that our society has gotten to the point where we have to worry about weapons in a family park that promotes the ideas of happiness, kindness, and building lasting family memories. I'm also incredibly pessimistic about how we will ever get our society out of this violent dark hole that we have gotten ourselves into.

Jeff
12-14-2015, 05:36 PM
As Johm said, a sad commentary on the world we live in. However, because of the craziness I applaud tighter security!

Pally
12-14-2015, 05:38 PM
I have no problem with this. I don't think they need to advertise it either. We be be arriving on Saturday.

VWL Mom
12-14-2015, 05:44 PM
In light of what's going on around us I have no problem with this. I always found it strange that I'm unzipping every nook and cranny of my bag while people (my boys included) walk through with their pockets full.

BrerGnat
12-14-2015, 06:33 PM
In light of what's going on around us I have no problem with this. I always found it strange that I'm unzipping every nook and cranny of my bag while people (my boys included) walk through with their pockets full.

Completely agree. I never understood this, especially during colder weather when people are wearing bulkier clothes and jackets.

I think this is long overdue. I'm not really sad about it. I still don't think things are "more dangerous than ever". I just think we KNOW better how to be safer so we should do as much as we know how to maintain safety, especially in places where large crowds gather.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-14-2015, 06:35 PM

No more toy guys being sold
No masks for guests 14and older

I find this particularly silly. I am not oblivious to the reasons for it all, but somewhere we have to draw a line between common sense adaptations and paranoia, and IMHO this is on the wrong side of that line.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Can someone clarify things for someone who has never flown...

Are they installing walk-thru metal detectors, or are they installing the full-body x-ray like scanners that look under clothing and are monitored remotely?

BrerGnat
12-14-2015, 07:02 PM
I find this particularly silly. I am not oblivious to the reasons for it all, but somewhere we have to draw a line between common sense adaptations and paranoia, and IMHO this is on the wrong side of that line.

Yeah, considering that they basically only sell Buzz Lightyear and Stormtrooper Blasters nowadays anyway.

BrerGnat
12-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Can someone clarify things for someone who has never flown...

Are they installing walk-thru metal detectors, or are they installing the full-body x-ray like scanners that look under clothing and are monitored remotely?

I would guess simple walk through metal detectors.

Ed
12-14-2015, 07:45 PM
I'm curious what triggered it. Maybe it was the guy that tried to bring the gun in a week or so ago?

Shortly after the San Bernardino event, the local TV stations did several of their usual alarmist stories about how vulnerable Orlando's theme parks are to something like that. Fortunately, all the parks spokespeople refused to go into details about their security measures, but the TV wonks were carrying on about how easily such a thing could happen here. Way to go, media folks. Why not just send the bad guys an engraved invitation ?

Ian
12-14-2015, 08:08 PM
So on one hand I just see massive line back ups and long waits to get in. But on the other hand, I'm really grateful they're taking these steps. I mean the security before was basically laughable and as much as I hate to admit it I'm quite certain Disney World is a prime target on a lot of Islamic terrorist lists out there. I agree with John ... sad commentary on the current state of our world, but an unfortunate necessity nevertheless.

allgiggles
12-14-2015, 08:48 PM
I agree -- I'm glad they're doing this, but I see very long lines to get in to the parks in the morning because of it. My husband has an artificial hip and sets off every metal detector he walks through. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

baldburke
12-14-2015, 09:47 PM
I agree -- I'm glad they're doing this, but I see very long lines to get in to the parks in the morning because of it. My husband has an artificial hip and sets off every metal detector he walks through. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Maybe this will be a FP+ option?

TheVBs
12-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Sad that it's necessary, but what can you do? I'm glad they're taking extra measures as well. All of the insane incidents around the country this past year can't really be ignored. It probably will slow things down a bit, at least at first.

grumpyguy
12-15-2015, 07:18 AM
It's terribly sad isn't it. But absolutely necessary. I for one am completely comfortable with whatever measures need to be taken to ensure safety. If it means passing through a metal detector,so be it.
It's what our world has become, I hope everyday that nothing destroys the magic at our favorite place.
WDW is a place in these times that you can still escape the **** the outside world is dealing us all.

pbdennis
12-15-2015, 07:26 AM
It is sad this has to happen, but I am not shocked. We arrive this weekend and it will be interesting to see any of the changes.

Baloo76
12-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Disney has to do what they have to do to make the parks safer, but if I'm a terrorist or someone who wants to do mass harm for any reason, there are still plenty of places within "Disney World" where I can do it without having to go through security. It's a scary thought.

Dulcee
12-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Disney has to do what they have to do to make the parks safer, but if I'm a terrorist or someone who wants to do mass harm for any reason, there are still plenty of places within "Disney World" where I can do it without having to go through security. It's a scary thought.

This. There were times, especially with the very high crowds of the holiday season, that we were uncomfortable with that very thought in Disney Springs.

SurferStitch
12-15-2015, 01:13 PM
I will say, we noticed a much larger uniformed police presence in WDW a couple weeks ago, and I welcome it.

We saw quite a few K9 units, especially at the MK and Epcot monorail stations. Also more uniformed police (some with K9) at the park entrances. Also saw a couple walking past the YC some mornings.

Bag checks were much more thorough, too.

#1donaldfan
12-15-2015, 03:40 PM
I am very happy that they are checking guests. It makes me feel better that they are at least going through the motions of filtering out those cowards who want to harm civilians !!

TheVBs
12-15-2015, 04:17 PM

This. There were times, especially with the very high crowds of the holiday season, that we were uncomfortable with that very thought in Disney Springs.

The fact that there's still a possibility should never result in not doing their best to prevent it. These efforts may prove to be enough of a deterrent. People who plan to cause harm typically like easy targets.

I am very happy that they are checking guests. It makes me feel better that they are at least going through the motions of filtering out those cowards who want to harm civilians !!

Me too! They'll hopefully also be filtering out the cowards who want to harm their fellow citizens.

GMRO
12-15-2015, 04:21 PM
Glad to see they are enforcing new measures.

Changing world around us...makes sense that our favorite WORLD and LAND must change as well to keep us, those of us who appreciate the magic and are not interested in harming others, safe. Least as safe as we can be in such popular places.

We go on our family vaca next May2016' on the Fantasy and then stay on property to visit the parks. I'd hope by then management has a good handle on what needs to be done and how to do it efficiently.

THANKS!

Mendelson
12-16-2015, 12:55 PM
I wonder how much of this is because WDW is legitimately concerned and how much of it is that they want guests to have the illusion of feeling more secure.

Not that I know what goes through the mind of a terrorist, and I'll grant that WDW is a significant symbolic target for them, but beyond that a WDW park makes little sense. There is so much secret patrolling/observation that staging is essentially impossible, there are not many exit points (though terrorists often seem to go in to these events accepting they will die in the final shoot out) and there is an existing screening/barrier to entry, even if it is not super thorough.

There are so many softer targets throughout the country.

DisneyGiant
12-16-2015, 05:06 PM
Aren't they going to have to add a queue of some kind to control it all? And if someone buzzes - what is the next step?

Personally - I think they should scan the bags through like they do at the airport.

DisneyGiant
12-16-2015, 05:08 PM

I don't think the terrorists want anything to do with WDW. I'm more concerned about a gun person going crazy like at the movies. I have to say - I don't really like to go to the movies so much any more.

Sad.......

Priority Four
12-16-2015, 05:11 PM
I carry a concealed handgun regularly (legally of course) and I agree that it would be easy to get a weapon past the existing security from the concealed aspect. It is another thing altogether to do it in a way that does not cause suspicion. Bad people almost always act hinky in some way. The metal detectors will deter idiots and make people feel better, but it is vigilant, well trained security that will prevent a tragedy.

lindique
12-16-2015, 06:33 PM
Personally - I think they should scan the bags through like they do at the airport.

In Disneyland Paris, they put all the bags through airport-like screening. I actually liked that much better than having someone paw through my stuff.

Kerry823
12-16-2015, 07:19 PM
One thing that could help the long lines would be to limit the amount of "stuff" people can bring in to the parks. So often there are people with strollers packed full of bags--purse, diaper bag, back packs for everyone in the party, coolers, etc.---and that is just one family. I get the diaper bag and purse but common sense about a park outing needs to come into play. I am in favor of the increased security measures. Disney is a symbol of American life and I do believe that it could be a target for groups that want to do harm in a pretty public way.

Daisy'sMom
12-17-2015, 09:36 AM
Its sad that it has come to this but it is so necessary

BrerGnat
12-17-2015, 09:52 AM
Confirmed: metal detectors at ALL major Orlando Parks (Disney, Universal, Sea World) as well as Disneyland. I'll be heading to Disneyland soon and will report back on how it goes.

John
12-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Yep, national news just confirming. You heard it here first... though I honestly didn't see ALL major theme parks in Orlando doing it on the same day along with Disneyland. That was somewhat unexpected.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/walt-disney-world-installs-metal-detectors-park-entrances-article-1.2468611

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/os-disney-metal-detectors-security-20151217-story.html

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/disney-world-install-metal-detectors-orlando-theme/npmRf/

DNS
12-17-2015, 10:08 AM
I have no problem with this. I would be fine with the x-rays to be honest. Part of what we have always loved about DW is feeling safe there. We were there over the Paris attacks too. I know this does not guarantee total security, but it is a big step and I do not think there is any way to guarantee safety any place. I think this is just our new reality and we have to get used to it.

John
12-17-2015, 10:31 AM
So, looking at the pictures posted (Hat tip to WDWMagic.com) - it appears that it's just random screening for now - http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/gallery/17dec2015-magic-kingdom-metal-detectors-and-new-entry-policy/26230.htm

Honestly, that doesn't make me fee ANY safer. Maybe it's just that way till they can roll it out further.

Also, looks like 3rd party security operating the devices which makes sense given the quick rollout - and finally, I can't tell whether they have eliminated the guest with no bags line. That needs to happen and all guests need to go thru metal detectors in my opinion. If you are going to do it, do it right.

We'll see how this plays out in the coming weeks and months.

BrerGnat
12-17-2015, 11:38 AM
So, looking at the pictures posted (Hat tip to WDWMagic.com) - it appears that it's just random screening for now - http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/gallery/17dec2015-magic-kingdom-metal-detectors-and-new-entry-policy/26230.htm

Honestly, that doesn't make me fee ANY safer. Maybe it's just that way till they can roll it out further.

Also, looks like 3rd party security operating the devices which makes sense given the quick rollout - and finally, I can't tell whether they have eliminated the guest with no bags line. That needs to happen and all guests need to go thru metal detectors in my opinion. If you are going to do it, do it right.

I'm going to venture a guess that the metal detector line will be the "no bags" line. If they are going to continue bag searches as before, this is what makes the most sense.

The articles did say that "only select guests" will pass through the detectors.

Without being accused of profiling, the only way to do this is to make all guests without bags go through them.

Although Disneyland doesn't have a "no bags" line so who knows?

2Epcot
12-17-2015, 11:43 AM

I just watched a Periscope from the Magic Kingdom and that is what the person shooting was showing also. She was at the Magic Kingdom. They had two metal detectors setup on each side. A third party company was randomly scanning people. Maybe this is just in the beginning, and they will increase them.

Edit: I now see pictures of the metal detectors in place at Disneyland in California.

Mendelson
12-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Also, looks like 3rd party security operating the devices

And she looks as magical as a TSA agent.

BrerGnat
12-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Just went through security at Disneyland. For the most part, they are targeting people without bags and people with large bags. The metal detectors are set up INSIDE the bag check area. People are pulled after passing through. There was no line at bag check.

The company providing the searches is CSC. They are wearing bright yellow "Event Staff" jackets. Seems to be going very smoothly.

People with no bags are being asked to unzip jackets and empty their pockets into small plastic bowls before being sent through the detectors.

There is also a detector at the Disneyland monorail station at Downtown Disney.

Worth noting, all the exterior exits at the AMC theater at Downtown Disney Disneyland have a security guard posted outside. This is something I have never seen.

BrerGnat
12-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Also confirming that they no longer sell anything that has a trigger. No more Star Wars blasters, Buzz Lightyear blasters, bubble guns, etc. Even the little blaster key chains have been pulled.

BrerGnat
12-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Metal detectors also set up outside AMC Theater in Downtown Disney at Disneyland. There were 6 of them set up. Looks like they are going to scan everyone going inside the theater today.

PETE FROM NYC
12-17-2015, 04:08 PM
I am against this extra security, it is un-American. Says you are guilty until proven innocent. Violating fourth and fifth amendments. Pure paranoia.

Polynesian Dweller
12-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Whatever caused this reaction goes well beyond Disney. All the major parks did this on the same day which suggests that they were all alerted about something that isn't being shared with the public and likely was reasonably reliable.

John
12-17-2015, 04:43 PM
I am against this extra security, it is un-American. Says you are guilty until proven innocent. Violating fourth and fifth amendments. Pure paranoia.

So Pete, my guess is you think we shouldn't have security at the airports or at major league sporting events either then correct?

I get the argument on both sides and I'm honestly not sure where I stand on the issue - just wondering. If I really thought stuff like this was indeed making us safer, I am for it - but think that random screening without sending everyone thru some sort of detection is fairly useless and the bag checks aren't great given multiple compartments etc that can hide things.

John
12-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Whatever caused this reaction goes well beyond Disney. All the major parks did this on the same day which suggests that they were all alerted about something that isn't being shared with the public and likely was reasonably reliable.

Does make you wonder when it's this coordinated....

BrerGnat
12-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Does make you wonder when it's this coordinated....

Word is, DHS (Dept Homeland Security) gave the theme park industry "a strong suggestion" to implement these measures. This is why you are seeing such a coordinated roll out.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-17-2015, 09:06 PM
I can't believe that I am reading this thread, I almost teared up at the absurdity of this entire day's update. It is all so ridiculous, and yet me and Pete seem to be the only ones in firm opposition.

And if metal detectors and body scans at Disney doesn't shock you, surely John posting a WDWmagic link will!

This whole thread comes from Bizarro World, and I'm stunned at the sense of inevitability that most have posted.

BrerGnat
12-17-2015, 09:54 PM
I can't believe that I am reading this thread, I almost teared up at the absurdity of this entire day's update. It is all so ridiculous, and yet me and Pete seem to be the only ones in firm opposition.

And if metal detectors and body scans at Disney doesn't shock you, surely John posting a WDWmagic link will!

This whole thread comes from Bizarro World, and I'm stunned at the sense of inevitability that most have posted.

I respect your opinion, but what is the use of getting all worked up?

Honestly, this is the world we live in now, like it or not. Disney and every other theme park is private property and has an obligation to ensure the highest level of guest safety it can provide.

There are no body scans. Simple metal detectors.

Disney consults very regularly with the Department of Homeland Security, local law enforcement, their insurers, lawyers, etc. They have chosen to go this route for now based on information that you nor I is privvy to. It's not our place to say whether it is necessary or not.

This is, simply, about trying to keep large gatherings of people safe on private property. It has nothing to do with anyone's rights or freedoms. Disney could enact a rule forcing everyone to dress in purple shirts and green shoes if they wanted to. It is their park. Their rules. Don't like it? Don't go.

Frankly, I am glad to see this stepped up security and don't live my life looking for things to be angry about.

PETE FROM NYC
12-18-2015, 12:07 AM
he who sacrifices freedom for security, deserves neither. I believe words to that effect come from Thomas Jefferson.

TheVBs
12-18-2015, 07:54 AM
And if there's a tragedy at a park that could have been easily prevented by a metal detector or extra bag checks? If hundreds of people are injured/killed, would you really say that was okay as long as you had the freedom not to walk through a little extra security? I would never put myself getting out of joint about extra security over people's lives. Period.

BrerGnat
12-18-2015, 10:19 AM
he who sacrifices freedom for security, deserves neither. I believe words to that effect come from Thomas Jefferson.

I have seen this quote posted more times than I care to count. It does not apply to this situation. Quotes taken out of context are meaningless.

BrerGnat
12-18-2015, 10:20 AM
Another thing is that Disney has an obligation to its thousands of park employees to provide a safe working place. This is as much about protecting them as the guests.

waymickey
12-18-2015, 12:44 PM
So DD is a CM at AK and there have a few incidents this past week involving weapons and or attacks on Disney grounds. It is happening more and more and Disney has been trying to keep guests and staff safe. While it is a sad sign of our society it is reality.

The incident involving weapons were from guests with out bags. One included someone jumping a fence to avoid security.

cer
12-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Also confirming that they no longer sell anything that has a trigger. No more Star Wars blasters, Buzz Lightyear blasters, bubble guns, etc. Even the little blaster key chains have been pulled.

I don't seem to be too bothered by the fact that they have additional security. I have not really thought too hard about it, but in the past thought it pretty ridiculous that my bag was being searched when persons with no bags were welcomed in. Never really made sense to me. What I do not understand is removing all toys with triggers. Am I missing something here? :confused:

BrerGnat
12-18-2015, 03:52 PM
I don't seem to be too bothered by the fact that they have additional security. I have not really thought too hard about it, but in the past thought it pretty ridiculous that my bag was being searched when persons with no bags were welcomed in. Never really made sense to me. What I do not understand is removing all toys with triggers. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Yep. You can make fully functional guns with a 3D printer out of plastic. Since the raw material comes in all sorts of colors, it is feasible for someone to make a gun that looks like a toy. This is becoming a big concern.

cer
12-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Yep. You can make fully functional guns with a 3D printer out of plastic. Since the raw material comes in all sorts of colors, it is feasible for someone to make a gun that looks like a toy. This is becoming a big concern.

Thank you for the insight, Natalie. Makes sense now.

Goofy4TheWorld
12-18-2015, 05:15 PM
I respect your opinion, but what is the use of getting all worked up?

Frankly, I am glad to see this stepped up security and don't live my life looking for things to be angry about.

I don't think I am worked up, and I certainly do not spend my life looking for things to be angry about.

It's not our place to say whether it is necessary or not.

About 75% of what we all talk/post about here on the boards is arm-chair Imagineering, whether we are calling the "no toy guns" absurd or we call the ADR system nuts, we can usually post those thoughts without concern that it "isn't our place".

Goofy4TheWorld
12-18-2015, 05:29 PM
And if there's a tragedy at a park that could have been easily prevented by a metal detector or extra bag checks? If hundreds of people are injured/killed, would you really say that was okay as long as you had the freedom not to walk through a little extra security? I would never put myself getting out of joint about extra security over people's lives. Period.

Personally, I don't really have a strong problem with the front of the park security being improved with detectors or scans, but I do believe outlawing plastic guns goes too far.

I do take offence to the suggestion that anyone who stands up and suggests that there is a line to be drawn on security in a society, and that line doesn't only have to be drawn by the most paranoid amongst us, has blood on their hands if something awful does happen. Despite more school shootings in history than I can count, I would imagine that most of our kids still go to a school which has no metal detectors, and that doesn't mean the school system's administrators are irrational or otherwise negligent for not greeting kids each day with the TSA.

DizneyFreak2002
12-18-2015, 07:49 PM
I don't think the terrorists want anything to do with WDW.
You do know that WDW, Disneyland, and many other theme arks wer eon Al Qaeda's list of U.S. targets, right? Now, add that to ISIS, who is 1000 times crazier, and well....

DizneyFreak2002
12-18-2015, 07:51 PM
BTW, I just returned from a week in WDW... Just missed the metal detectors going into use, but I did notice a larger sheriff presence, will K9 units... And yes, there are reasons for it... And no, that does not mean there is a credible threat, currently, of an attack at WDW.. But, as I posted above, WDW is a known target... Always has been, always will be...

The Dad
12-18-2015, 09:28 PM
To the extent that the additional security makes guests "feel" safer, it is a good thing. However, there is no amount of security known that can be 100% effective. I think it may be best to put things into proper perspective regarding these terrorist idiots......If you consider our vast country and the corresponding populace, then factor in the number of terrorist "attacks", your chance of coming to harm is statistically nil. In fact, you would be more likely to be abducted by extra terrestrial aliens from the planet Altair 4 (wherever that may be). Fear not and never let your heart be troubled... I would be more concerned about scheduling Fast Pass+ to get thru the quick security checkpoints thereby avoiding the "standby" lines.....

Altair
12-18-2015, 09:52 PM
In fact, you would be more likely to be abducted by extra terrestrial aliens from the planet Altair 4 (wherever that may be)

Altair is the Alpha(or brightest) star in the constellation Aquila, so Altair 4 would be the 4th planet in that star's solar system.

The Dad
12-18-2015, 10:00 PM
Altair is the Alpha(or brightest) star in the constellation Aquila, so Altair 4 would be the 4th planet in that star's solar system.

Good one Dave!

Mendelson
12-19-2015, 11:43 PM
It's the elimination of the bubble guns that makes me feel the most safe. I mean, we all like bubbles but dear heavens THINK OF THE CHILDREN. We all know ISIS wants nothing more than to pop filmy substances on our clothing, temporarily staining our valuable theme park wear.

If they rebrand them as bubble blowers will they be kosher?

TheVBs
12-20-2015, 09:40 AM
Personally, I don't really have a strong problem with the front of the park security being improved with detectors or scans, but I do believe outlawing plastic guns goes too far.

I do take offence to the suggestion that anyone who stands up and suggests that there is a line to be drawn on security in a society, and that line doesn't only have to be drawn by the most paranoid amongst us, has blood on their hands if something awful does happen. Despite more school shootings in history than I can count, I would imagine that most of our kids still go to a school which has no metal detectors, and that doesn't mean the school system's administrators are irrational or otherwise negligent for not greeting kids each day with the TSA.

I agree that a line has to be drawn. WDW hasn't crossed the line with the extra security (okay, maybe except for the removal of bubble blasters, but if they're willing to lose out on the merchandise sales, I'm sure they have a good reason).

And, agree with you 100% that students shouldn't go through TSA style security to get into school. The fix for that problem has to be elsewhere and I hope it will be soon.

TheVBs
12-20-2015, 09:40 AM
It's the elimination of the bubble guns that makes me feel the most safe. I mean, we all like bubbles but dear heavens THINK OF THE CHILDREN. We all know ISIS wants nothing more than to pop filmy substances on our clothing, temporarily staining our valuable theme park wear.

If they rebrand them as bubble blowers will they be kosher?

You are so funny! Thanks for giving me a laugh this morning.

PopPhan
12-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Went to see Trans Siberian Orchestra in Hershey, PA Friday evening and, for the first time, had to be scanned before entering the Giant Center. They had a number of walk-thru metal detectors and a few wand-style scanners in operation and they did not seem to slow entry into the facility.

If Disney puts enough of these metal detectors in place - one for each bag check lane - it should not slow down the entry lines too much. By the time your bag is checked, you should already be through the scanner, get your bag back and proceed to the turnstyles. It might slow down those without bags, but is that really THAT big of a deal? (This is from someone who never has a bag with him.)

minnie-mouse
01-19-2016, 01:13 PM
So children are not allowed to bring the bubble guns into the parks anymore at all?