PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans-Riverside Ol' Man Island area refurbishment

brownie
12-05-2015, 07:42 PM
We received a letter today letting us know that the Ol' Man Island area at Port Orleans-Riverside will be closed for refurbishment beginning January 11, 2016 until later in the spring. The closure includes the pool, spa, waterslide, kiddie pool, and Muddy Rivers pool bar.

ibelieveindisneymagic
12-05-2015, 11:24 PM
Wow! That's not a lot of notice for people who have booked.

I'm assuming they are putting in a new kids area - instead of the kiddie pool?

brownie
12-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Didn't get the details on changes in the letter.

EJS-Houston
12-08-2015, 05:44 PM
But would you even be able to use those areas much during those months (January through March, for instance)?

BrerGnat
12-08-2015, 07:58 PM
But would you even be able to use those areas much during those months (January through March, for instance)?

Probably why they schedule most pool renovations during that time.

mandaep
12-28-2015, 04:12 PM
is there another area for kiddie pool??

lindique
12-28-2015, 05:30 PM
The pools are heated. During the day it is often warm enough to swim.

When POFQ had a similar renovation a few years ago, they sent guests to the Riverside pool complex. I think they transported them by golf cart-type vehicles. I assume they will do something like that again.

brownie
12-29-2015, 03:33 PM
The pools are heated. During the day it is often warm enough to swim.

When POFQ had a similar renovation a few years ago, they sent guests to the Riverside pool complex. I think they transported them by golf cart-type vehicles. I assume they will do something like that again.

French Quarter only has the one pool. Riverside has multiple pools, only the main pool area will be closed. The letter made no mention of using French Quarter's pool. I doubt they'll transport people to French Quarter to use the pool there.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-29-2015, 05:14 PM
French Quarter only has the one pool. Riverside has multiple pools, only the main pool area will be closed. The letter made no mention of using French Quarter's pool. I doubt they'll transport people to French Quarter to use the pool there.

The main pool area? could that be interpreted to encompass the main pool, and the nearby hot tub and small kiddie pool.

We were there this past January and definitely swam on several occassions. Worst case scenario there are several quiet pools in at least the Aligator Bayou sections. No slides or as nicely themed, but still decent for swimming.

Personally I don't think I'd want to go through the hassle of going over to the FQ just to swim.

brownie
12-30-2015, 07:35 PM
The main pool area? could that be interpreted to encompass the main pool, and the nearby hot tub and small kiddie pool.

No interpretation needed, all of that will be closed at Riverside. Riverside, unlike French Quarter, has more pools than just the main pool.

mandaep
12-31-2015, 04:32 PM
I am actually worried about this. I just switched our reservation the other day to Riverside and they didn't say anything about refurbishment. I don't think I would have switched it if I had realized how much it was. Does anyone have any insight to how long t will take?? We have two small kids and the thing they like the most are the kiddie pools :(

brownie
12-31-2015, 08:03 PM
I am actually worried about this. I just switched our reservation the other day to Riverside and they didn't say anything about refurbishment. I don't think I would have switched it if I had realized how much it was. Does anyone have any insight to how long t will take?? We have two small kids and the thing they like the most are the kiddie pools :(

Late spring according to the letter.

mandaep
01-02-2016, 09:52 AM
I contacted Disney twice so far to get two different responses, and one told me it would be completed late February and the other told me that it would be officially complete Feb 29th.

dizne4me
01-04-2016, 12:00 PM
We have reservations there during that time period as well -- I'm a little concerned as we like to use the bar/snack area as well as the pool at Ole man Island -- I'm wondering if anyone knows if you are able to bring your own beer/wine and snacks to the smaller pools in Alligator Bayou.

mandaep
01-07-2016, 06:58 PM
We have reservations there during that time period as well -- I'm a little concerned as we like to use the bar/snack area as well as the pool at Ole man Island -- I'm wondering if anyone knows if you are able to bring your own beer/wine and snacks to the smaller pools in Alligator Bayou.

I honestly can't imagine why they wouldn't mind as long as it isn't glass!