PDA

View Full Version : Dining advice please

Cinderelley
11-03-2015, 05:00 AM
So I admit, I've gotten rather used to adult Disney trips. Plus, when my kids were little (20 odd years ago) and I took them, I couldn't afford fancy stuff. Now my financial situation is better and I will have to take a 6 month old into consideration. At the same time, I will have two adults who have never been to a Disney Park, and I want to show them all of the magic. There are also four adults who have become accustomed to one table service meal per day. Any ideas for places that are a happy medium for everyone? I love Blue Bayou. Do you think that is really stretching it with a 6 month old?

BrerGnat
11-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Blue Bayou should be okay. They tend to kind of rush people through there. The only thing is it is really dark in there and the tables are close together. It makes it hard to get out quickly if the baby starts acting up. That is the key to dining with a baby that age...the ability to leave so you can walk around if baby gets fussy.

When my kids were little like that, we stuck to places in Downtown Disney for the most part. Many have outdoor seating which provides stuff to look at and allows the baby to get loud and it's okay. We love Naples, ESPN Zone, Tortilla Joe's and Uva Bar. I haven't been overly impressed with the in park sit down places for the most part, except for Carthay Circle, which is NOT baby friendly at all. I prefer the restaurants at GCH and DL Hotel overall. However, even to this day, we usually just do CS because there are so many good options and many of them are huge, filling meals that feel like TS. Flo's V8 Cafe, Plaza Inn, French Market, Rancho del Zocalo, Paradise Garden Grill...all of these have excellent food and atmosphere.

thads
11-03-2015, 09:52 PM
We took our boys to Blue Bayou when they were little. Sometimes they fall asleep as it is dark. An extra bonus. :)

tinkwest
11-04-2015, 01:35 PM
If you are trying to think of a few table service restaurants that would be workable with a six month old you might try Cafe Orleans at Disneyland. Honestly I have had good and not so good food experiences there. Service always great. Food hit & miss for me. I see they have the fried green tomato sandwich now. It used to be served at Hungry Bear for about half the price. Not making a very convincing sell on this one am I?! But they do have outside seating which would probably be a plus with the young one.

I agree with Natalie about hitting Uva Bar and ESPN Zone in Downtown Disney for table service. We seem to have bad luck at Tortilla Jo's and it has been quite a while since I've eaten at Naples so can't comment on those. If the menu at Jazz Kitchen looks interesting to those in your group I would once again suggest the outside seating for the baby.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
11-04-2015, 04:26 PM
If you time a dinner reservation to when the baby usually sleeps, I see no reason why you can't do any nice restaurant. Go to Napa Rose and let the baby sleep in the baby carrier or stroller. If it turns out that the baby is awake at your reservation time and you are worried about disturbing others in the main dining room, no problem -- just tell the person at the host stand that you'll take one of the more casual tables in the bar area which is directly to the right as you walk in. Tons of more casual tables with comfy chairs and the same menu as the main dining room. Not a big deal there if the baby is making some noise, and right next to the door so you can walk out for a few minutes with the baby very easily.

I'd also suggest Wine Country Trattoria. My family really likes it there, both for the food and the ambience. If you ask for an outside table (which most are), you are part of the ambient noise of DCA anyway, so it's a nice restaurant where it is no big deal if the baby makes some noise. Plus, if the baby is awake, there is lots to see with people watching on the walking path right next to the restaurant and views of some attractions and pretty flashing lights which babies love.

Cinderelley
11-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Thanks everyone. These are all great suggestions. :) Plus there is hope for Blue Bayou!

GeorgeOfTheJungle
11-05-2015, 08:15 AM
Thunder Ranch BBQ would be a good option because it's outdoors there's tons of room to move around if the baby gets fussy. I love the atmosphere there!

BrerGnat
11-05-2015, 08:37 AM
Thunder Ranch BBQ would be a good option because it's outdoors there's tons of room to move around if the baby gets fussy. I love the atmosphere there!

This place is closing forever in early January to make room for Star Wars Land.

GeorgeOfTheJungle
11-06-2015, 09:03 AM
This place is closing forever in early January to make room for Star Wars Land.

True, but the OP didn't say when they were going to Disneyland. If they are going before it closes, they could go. :mickey:

BrerGnat
11-06-2015, 10:46 AM
True, but the OP didn't say when they were going to Disneyland. If they are going before it closes, they could go. :mickey:

They are going in April. She posted that on another thread. :)

Cinderelley
11-07-2015, 04:15 AM
Yeah, I'm kind've sad that we won't see it before it closes. My family is sooooo excited about Star Wars though that I guess it balances out.

Cinderelley
11-25-2015, 04:10 AM
It feels really weird to be going to Disneyland without our first night dinner being at Rain Forest Cafe. It has become a tradition for me, but I've been going with the adults as noted. Do you think the noise is too much for an infant or will all the sights and sounds keep her distracted?

Cinderelley
11-25-2015, 04:19 AM
Scratch that last post. I looked over the menu at the Uva Bar. It looks perfect!

BrerGnat
11-25-2015, 09:41 PM
Scratch that last post. I looked over the menu at the Uva Bar. It looks perfect!

It's really good!