PDA

View Full Version : AD Placement

John
10-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Just so you know, we are testing some ad placement on the boards. Hopefully it's not too annoying for everyone. Unfortunately, in the life of a site, they are a must to keep the lights on and improvements coming.

I had the option of putting them as the first post or the last post. Not sure I prefer one over the other. Going to watch to see how things go.

Just trying to be transparent with everyone in case you were wondering what's up. Google recommends running 3-4 ads per page of differing sizes - so we're giving it a shot.

Thanks for bearing with the changes and testing.

John

BrerGnat
10-28-2015, 07:21 PM
The ads are showing up inside the post itself. Doesn't bother me. I'd maybe go with putting it in the last post, though. That way, the initial post of each thread isn't clogged up with the ad.

PirateLover
10-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Hey John! I understand that ads are an important part of keeping the lights on here. INTERCOT is one of the only sites that I've disabled my ad-blocking software on, for that reason. Having an ad appear actually inside a post is a little distracting for me, and in my opinion it takes away from the clean look that you've always striven to achieve. Just my :twocents:

John
10-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Hey John! I understand that ads are an important part of keeping the lights on here. INTERCOT is one of the only sites that I've disabled my ad-blocking software on, for that reason. Having an ad appear actually inside a post is a little distracting for me, and in my opinion it takes away from the clean look that you've always striven to achieve. Just my :twocents:

Thanks for the feedback and for unblocking us.

Like I said - we're trying things out and totally understand where you are coming from. May move it to the last post as Natalie suggested. Problem is that there aren't any other places where the 300x250 ad will fit - and it's a VERY popular ad unit.

At some point, we might be able to widen the site more, and move the ads out to the right of all the posts - but for now, the look is the look while we work on updating content and other things.

John
10-28-2015, 08:16 PM
The ads are showing up inside the post itself. Doesn't bother me. I'd maybe go with putting it in the last post, though. That way, the initial post of each thread isn't clogged up with the ad.

May just try that... I'm gonna give this look a few days and then switch the other way and see what folks prefer.

magicofdisney
10-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Do you get credit by me simply coming to the same page as the ad, or do I actually need to see it? My habit is to jump to the last post of a thread I've already accessed. Therefor, ads on the last post will always be seen by me.

John
10-29-2015, 11:31 AM
Typically ads are no longer impression based, they are click based. So, unless you click on an AD, the site the ad is on gets no credit.

There used to be a day when a site got paid simply for the ad showing... Those days are long gone.

Fangorn
10-29-2015, 11:59 AM
John,

What is the best way - meaning what is most profitable for the site - to take advantage of the ads? For quite awhile now, my habit has been to always click on some ad at least once each day. It that still a worthwhile strategy, or is there another way that helps out more?

Thanks for all you do.

Steve

John
10-29-2015, 12:07 PM
John,

What is the best way - meaning what is most profitable for the site - to take advantage of the ads? For quite awhile now, my habit has been to always click on some ad at least once each day. It that still a worthwhile strategy, or is there another way that helps out more?

Thanks for all you do.

Steve

Steve:

As far as our direct site sponsors (Magical Journeys, The Timeshare Store, Official Ticket Center, Universal Orlando, All Star Vacation Homes, Quicksilver) - use them and mention INTERCOT, that's the best way.

When it comes to other ads, if something interests you - check it out just like you have been doing.

Thanks for your support!
John

missymouseworld
10-30-2015, 06:33 AM

Yes, I agree....the last post would make it better than the first. It is like when you call a company to ask a question, you hate getting all that up front phone stuff to get thru, you just want to get to ask your question. At the end, seems better.

EeyoresBestFriend
10-30-2015, 10:09 PM
Hey John,

Not a fan of the Ad in the actual post as mine are showing up over top of the writing and I can't get around / under it. Kinda annoying. Like Pirate Lover, I liked the cleaner look. I come here to be with my "Disney" family, not for the ads.

Last post or showing like a separate post, 2nd or third down might be nicer as well, if that option is possible.

Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

John
10-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Hey John,

Not a fan of the Ad in the actual post as mine are showing up over top of the writing and I can't get around / under it. Kinda annoying. Like Pirate Lover, I liked the cleaner look. I come here to be with my "Disney" family, not for the ads.

Last post or showing like a separate post, 2nd or third down might be nicer as well, if that option is possible.

Good luck with it. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the ads pay for the Disney family to exist... which browser are you using that the ads are overtop the writing? Can't replicate in IE 11, Edge or Chrome.

We may move to the last post. Only options are first and last....

EeyoresBestFriend
10-31-2015, 08:08 PM
C'est la Vie, huh? No worries. :-)

I'm running Windows Explorer 7. Mighta just been a burp. I know that they can do these things. Not a biggie.

ibelieveindisneymagic
11-01-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm loving the move to the last post. Makes the first post (which is often longer) MUCH easier to read, and it doesn't seem to get in way so much at the last post.

disneymom15
11-09-2015, 09:36 AM
Agree with Heather, I like it better on the last post.

Goofy4TheWorld
11-09-2015, 12:00 PM
If nothing else, I would think that keeping it at the last post would definitely be better in terms of having a higher chance of translating into a "click" or even a sale. When I browse I always click on the little "New Posts" button for each thread, meaning I do not see the top of the thread but one time, but I will always see the bottom of the thread each time the thread is updated.

Just my :twocents:

Isabella
11-15-2015, 03:47 PM
John,
You are amazing in everything you do on and for Intercot! I'm quite sure that 95% of the people on this site have no idea of the cost financially or time investment that you personally put into keeping this THE best site about Disney anywhere!
It is a common love of all things Disney that brings us here, but it is the highest quality, family friendly, funny posting, jort hating, Illuminations vs. Fantasmic battling, framily that keeps us coming back for more!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and I for one do not tell you enough, THANK YOU!!!
:high5:
Patty

John
11-16-2015, 04:22 PM
John,
You are amazing in everything you do on and for Intercot! I'm quite sure that 95% of the people on this site have no idea of the cost financially or time investment that you personally put into keeping this THE best site about Disney anywhere!
It is a common love of all things Disney that brings us here, but it is the highest quality, family friendly, funny posting, jort hating, Illuminations vs. Fantasmic battling, framily that keeps us coming back for more!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and I for one do not tell you enough, THANK YOU!!!
:high5:
Patty

Very nice of you Patty to say. I appreciate it, but without my great staff, I'd be nowhere...

Isabella
11-16-2015, 04:25 PM
Very nice of you Patty to say. I appreciate it, but without my great staff, I'd be nowhere...

And a very nice staff you have!!!!! Thank you to all who make Intercot THE very BEST!!!!!!

Coleby
11-25-2015, 07:30 PM
One thing I have to say about the ads, and I dont know if you can control this, but I have a hard time with ads that are videos that automatically play. Some have sound and some don't and it kind of hijacks my sound and slows down my browser. I use Firefox, just fyi.

akaDisneyDreamer
01-11-2016, 08:14 PM
I came here to ask why there was an ad on my last post. Thought it had something to do with posting from my phone which didn't make sense. I love this site, the ads aren't going to bother me, now that I know what's going on :)