PDA

View Full Version : Forum Update

John
10-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Hi All:

Did some work this afternoon and completed a long awaited update to vBulletin4 software.

While I still have some work to do fixing some of the add-ons (like the post likes) and color scheme (it's not right presently), things should be pretty functional and carry one of the most asked for updates - a mobile version of the forums - which should allow for easier browsing and posting from your mobile phone.

So, kick the tires and let me know if you are having any issues.

I know change is hard to get used to and we've been with the old version quite a while, but hopefully you will find the additions helpful and that it improves your INTERCOT experience as a whole.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and loyalty!

John

Terra
10-20-2015, 09:33 PM
Love it! Thank you for your hard work.

John
10-20-2015, 09:51 PM
I'd give you a thanks but that's not working right now - LOL - should be back this week sometime!

weswerx
10-20-2015, 10:30 PM
I've been waiting for a mobile version...now if I can just find my phone...

John
10-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Just noticed - our signature Mickey head post indicators are gone - add that to the list of things to fix ;)

John
10-21-2015, 08:38 AM
BTW, if you are having issues with the board remembering you and your login - try clearing the cookies set by the software by going here:
http://www.intercot.com/discussion/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=cookies&titleandtext=1&match=all

tjstrike
10-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Everything looks great John, one thing I see missing and you might already be working on it is when you click on a thread to read it it used to change colors so you new you'd been there, not doing that anymore.

John
10-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Everything looks great John, one thing I see missing and you might already be working on it is when you click on a thread to read it it used to change colors so you new you'd been there, not doing that anymore.

That's a link and followed link issue.... just need to find where that is in the Vbulletin templates and then yes, will get things back to the way they should be.

Thanks for the catch ;)

Patricia
10-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks, John!

magicofdisney
10-21-2015, 10:21 AM
The older I get, the less I like change if I'm not in charge of it. ;) However, this is nice. So far, so good. I did need to re-log coming back the first time. I'm going to check now if it's asking again.

BriarRose0708
10-21-2015, 10:43 AM
I love the quick reply feature! The new style will take a little getting used to but it's still fairly intuitive and I am sure we will all adapt quickly. Congrats on the updates!

John
10-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Post thanks/likes/dislikes is back in business!

dnickels
10-21-2015, 04:49 PM
Do you know where the 'New posts' link is on the mobile version? I usually view the boards via that avenue rather than clicking on each sub-forum to see if there's anything new. I see it here on my laptop but can't find that on the mobile.

Thanks!

John
10-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Do you know where the 'New posts' link is on the mobile version? I usually view the boards via that avenue rather than clicking on each sub-forum to see if there's anything new. I see it here on my laptop but can't find that on the mobile.

Thanks!

If you click on the icon next to the search icon on the right - then choose WHAT'S NEW.

Of course, you can always click on the full site link at the bottom ;)

Jeff
10-22-2015, 07:19 AM
Great update John!

Goofy4TheWorld
10-22-2015, 10:01 AM

Thanks!

If you just "bookmark" http://www.intercot.com/discussion/search.php?do=getnew it will take you to "New Posts" in both desktop and mobile versions.

magicofdisney
10-22-2015, 11:25 AM
I want to mention a feature I LOVE. I used to come to the boards and first click on User CP so I could see if any new posts were added to my subscribed threads. Now I click 'Quick Links->Subscribed Threads' and BAM. I think it's everything, whether new info or not. I like this better. Perhaps that option was always there and I've just now found it. Either way, me likey... :)

sgdisney
10-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Looks great and the mobile version is huge improvement. Thanks! :thumbsup:

joonyer
10-23-2015, 01:14 PM
Just a nitpicky detail, but . . .
on the new posts page, sometimes the "go to last post" button is not visible if the poster's name is too long. That button only seems to be in this location on the new posts page.

sgdisney
10-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Love the changes, but quick question....I'm trying to change my signature and found it in my profile, but can't change it. Am I doing something wrong or is this a glitch?

John
10-23-2015, 09:57 PM
Love the changes, but quick question....I'm trying to change my signature and found it in my profile, but can't change it. Am I doing something wrong or is this a glitch?

SETTINGS *next to profile link above > EDIT SIGNATURE :)

baldburke
10-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Looks great overall! It was a little bit of an adjustment for the eyes and learning the new options and icons, but the changes are good!

It seemed a bit washed out at work, but looks great at home on my Mac. Maybe it's my work monitor? I looked at the settings options but didn't see a way to change colors or background hue. Is there?

The only other thing I was a bit picky about was that I tend to use the new posts option to catch up on the latest. Skimming through the threads here gives a somewhat abbreviated look at the subject column and doesn't always allow the user to see the full title. When routing direct through the main page of the forums it gives the titles more real estate and doesn't seem to be an issue there.

Thanks for all the hard work and great new features. I'm looking forward to trying the mobile version!

hoopdeedoomusicalrevue
10-25-2015, 09:43 PM
I love Walt Disney World. Is this a glitch?

Marissa Pitts
4/96 - Off Property
4/97 - CBR
4/00 - Off Property
1/14 - Off Property

John
10-26-2015, 01:08 AM
I love Walt Disney World. Is this a glitch?

Marissa Pitts
4/96 - Off Property
4/97 - CBR
4/00 - Off Property
1/14 - Off Property

Is what a glitch?

Goofy4TheWorld
10-26-2015, 10:47 AM
How about the website's "icon" which appears on the left of the address bar in IE, and also appears as the icon used on my "Favorites Bar" link to Intercot.

It's currently a dark blue square with what appears to be a crossbreed between a check mark and the letter V in White. Didn't it used to be the "yin and yang" looking circles like is displayed at the very top-right corner of this page?

baldburke
10-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Hey John, one other item I'm noticing is that the reply box is only limited to six lines displayed whereas I think the previous software gave you more of a view of your response. It's not a show-stopper, but it's great to proof your response in one glance.

The new software overall is great, but it's the people and the content that keeps us coming back!

John
10-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Hey John, one other item I'm noticing is that the reply box is only limited to six lines displayed whereas I think the previous software gave you more of a view of your response. It's not a show-stopper, but it's great to proof your response in one glance.

The new software overall is great, but it's the people and the content that keeps us coming back!

If you want more than 6 lines - click on the Go Advanced button and from there - you get the old options including a bigger messaging interface window ;)

John
10-26-2015, 01:39 PM
How about the website's "icon" which appears on the left of the address bar in IE, and also appears as the icon used on my "Favorites Bar" link to Intercot.

It's currently a dark blue square with what appears to be a crossbreed between a check mark and the letter V in White. Didn't it used to be the "yin and yang" looking circles like is displayed at the very top-right corner of this page?

That's the favicon - and yep, I need to change it back ;)

tjstrike
10-26-2015, 03:51 PM
What's the mobile site called ? The only app I get when I type in Intercot is the podcast one.

John
10-26-2015, 04:03 PM
What's the mobile site called ? The only app I get when I type in Intercot is the podcast one.

There is no dedicated mobile app at present (though you can use tapatalk to browse the forums thru an app). I am actually looking into doing an app for android and iphone for the forums. Need to get myself a developer account first though.

For now, if you browse the boards in a mobile browser, you should be directed to the mobile versions of the boards automatically.

Goofy4TheWorld
10-26-2015, 07:35 PM
...I am actually looking into doing an app for android and iphone for the forums.

Wow, even you can't get the motivation to make an app for Windows phones!

;)

Goofy4TheWorld
10-26-2015, 07:38 PM
That's the favicon - and yep, I need to change it back ;)

WooHoo! The old icon is back! I didn't realize how much I disliked the other one until the old one was restored, it's my daily "Welcome Home".

Thanks!

John
10-26-2015, 08:21 PM
Wow, even you can't get the motivation to make an app for Windows phones!

;)

More complicated than that - vBulletin has the availability for me to do an app that allows you to access the forum if you have a google and apple developer account. They don't offer it for windows phone - but you can do tapatalk on Windows Phone ad it works great.

baldburke
10-26-2015, 08:42 PM
For now, if you browse the boards in a mobile browser, you should be directed to the mobile versions of the boards automatically.

Viewing from the ol' iPad now...works like a charm!

Also tried the advanced post too with way more room...thanks John!

disneymom15
10-27-2015, 02:17 PM
Oops, clicked "thanked" and then wanted to click "liked", but, accidently clicked "disliked".
I liked it, I really really liked it.

John
10-28-2015, 05:22 PM
Oops, clicked "thanked" and then wanted to click "liked", but, accidently clicked "disliked".
I liked it, I really really liked it.

It's all good :) - I need to purchase that add on, if I do, it would give you the ability to take away something you clicked on by mistake.

cer
10-29-2015, 11:33 AM
John,

I'm getting used to the new forum. I am struggling a little bit with one area, though.

When I use the boards, I access them through the "Discussion" tab, then "Quick Links", then "Today's Posts". What I have noticed with the change is that on the thread titles on "Today's Posts", some of them are longer and they get cut off, where as before you could see the thread title in its entirety. If there is a simple way to adjust that where the whole thread title is in view or a fix to where you can see it without opening the whole thread, that would be so helpful. This is just something I have noticed with the change - not sure if there is a fix for it, but I thought I'd mention it.

If the problem is with this user, please advise. :blush:

Thank you so much for all that you do. You are the BEST!!!

John
10-29-2015, 12:02 PM
John,

I'm getting used to the new forum. I am struggling a little bit with one area, though.

When I use the boards, I access them through the "Discussion" tab, then "Quick Links", then "Today's Posts". What I have noticed with the change is that on the thread titles on "Today's Posts", some of them are longer and they get cut off, where as before you could see the thread title in its entirety. If there is a simple way to adjust that where the whole thread title is in view or a fix to where you can see it without opening the whole thread, that would be so helpful. This is just something I have noticed with the change - not sure if there is a fix for it, but I thought I'd mention it.

If the problem is with this user, please advise. :blush:

Thank you so much for all that you do. You are the BEST!!!

Unfortunately, the way it's designed, it has to fit in one line - and that's why it truncates at a certain number of characters.

The what's new tab shows longer titles - but that shows posts in the order they were made instead of topics - so maybe using a combination of both will get you what you are looking for.

Sorry, in general, I think the positives of the upgrade outweigh the negatives - but I understand your frustration...

cer
10-29-2015, 12:21 PM
I will make it work. Thank you!