PDA

View Full Version : Busses and food at POR

waymickey
09-30-2015, 12:25 PM
I have read that the buses are bad and that the food only OK at POR. Is this true? We have never been but plan on going in December . I am excited about trying it out and We will be in a Royal room.

etibbetts
09-30-2015, 01:01 PM
I just stayed at POR for one week this month. Busses were ok. One day waiting for an AK bus we say 3 Epcot, 3 HS, 2 MK, 1 DTD before our Ak bus came. We also had one day it took an hour for a Typhoon Lagoon bus to come (at 9:30am), they were having some sort of issue. Busses were very full. We got on at the West Depot and busses that had gone to FQ and the South Depot stops first were very full by the time they got to us.

We mostly ate breakfast at the food court. That was very good. I love the breakfast potatoes (so much better than the breakfast potato casseroles at other resorts). We did have dinner there twice and it was good. The Cajun Turkey BLT was awesome - it's also very large that 2 people can share it. The food court staff was very friendly. I was going to get my refillable mug our first night but they only had 2 color choices left, the CM offered (without me asking) to wait to til the next day to get another color and he gave me a paper cup for a drink for free. I was very impressed.

Make sure to stop by the main pool, it's beautiful. The kids had a ball on the slide.

I hope you have a great stay! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-30-2015, 01:46 PM
I believe that POR is considered to have one of the best food courts on property. We've always enjoyed the food there, especially the pasta station at night and omlette station during breakfast.

POR also has a sit down restaraunt, Boatwright's which gives you another dining alternative.

Bus service - it is what it is, you may have some long waits, and some times you walk right on. We've stayed there several times and I've never felt frustrated by the bus system.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-30-2015, 01:57 PM
We love the POR food court! In fact, even when we're not staying there, we often make a visit. So, on the food side you are all covered.

Busses can be hit and miss, as they can be with any large resort. Since it is a large resort, lines can be long and sometimes (non-busy times) the busses are shared with French Quarter which can add delays to the whole process.

I do recommend, if possible, using the main (south) bus stop, as it is often the first stop in the resort, so the least busy bus ... even though the stop will be busy.

My greatest (only) complaint about POR is that it is indeed large, so if you're in a room at the end, it is a LONG walk back to the main building and main pool. There are number of quiet pools though, so it is really only an issue heading back to the main building for food/mug refills, etc.

texas211
09-30-2015, 08:11 PM
POR is great. The restaurant, Boatrights is one of our favs. The Buses there are no different than anywhere else, so to me, borderline. Food and ambiance is pretty good for a moderate, and a big upgrade over the value resorts I've been to. The food court has more options, nicer, and feel more resort like.

POR is the way to go.

NJGIRL
10-01-2015, 12:54 PM
We stayed at the French Quarter last week...the only thing I can add was that in the 4 days we were there we did not share a bus with POR at any time. I thought our buses were a little slow/unpredictable. There would be three AK buses before an EPCOT bus would come (that kind of thing). We only had to stand once, but that was once too much.

Paiges
10-01-2015, 09:56 PM
We stayed at POR a few weeks ago and loved it. We didn't eat at the food court much, but we got a pizza and did the pasta one night and it was good. And the pastries are yummilicious!

I don't remember ever being frustrated by the buses. Once, I can remember waiting for a bus and the arrival time on the board changing to later, but the total wait was probably not more than 10 minutes. We did get on at the south depot.

#1donaldfan
10-02-2015, 01:16 PM
The busses are pretty good at both the FQ and Riverside. We've never really had a major problem with them. The food is actually very good, at both, FQ and Riverside. The selections are vast and taste very good. POR is a great all around resort !!! :cool:

Kplaster
10-02-2015, 04:21 PM
The one time we stayed here the buses were hit and miss. We were at the back of the resort and sometimes we would have empty buses sometimes completely full and sometimes we would have to wait. I feel like that's pretty common nowadays. Nothing to really complain about in my opinion. We really like the food here. We actually took a bus over from CBR on our last stay to eat at FQ. We are staying here again in March and we're really excited. We also love the boat transportation to Disney Springs.

Librarymom
10-07-2015, 09:56 PM
We stayed at POR 3 years in a row. Never had a problem with buses and we enjoy the food court.

Susan A
10-08-2015, 09:15 AM
Wow! That's quite a testimony to the food quality if guests who aren't staying at the resort visit just for the food court!!!

Genie1953
10-24-2015, 02:20 AM
The food at POR is great! We have never had any complaints at all. We love their breakfast choices. Haven't had dinner there much because we are usually dining at the parks. We have eaten at Boatwrights a couple of times and it was really good. Port Orleans French Quarter is maybe a 10 minute walk along the river and they have great Beignet's. We always make a least one trip over there to get some.

dutchdisneyfamily
10-25-2015, 03:05 PM
POR is one of our favorite resorts. We love the food court, and just how peaceful it is. The buses during busy times can be a bit of a wait, but we found that if we were there first thing in the morning we could make it fine to where ever we needed to go.

EJS-Houston
10-27-2015, 01:34 PM
Sounds like the bus service is about the same as anywhere else. We'll be staying at Port Orleans Riverside for the first time in March. SO looking forward to it! As for the buses, we'll just chill out and not stress about it.

andmomlau
11-04-2015, 10:19 PM
We are fairly new DVC members, however we stayed at POR for many years before purchasing DVC! We absolutely loved it! We still go back for their food court....I don't think any other food courts come close! As far as the buses, like another response said...sometimes you walk right in and sometimes there is a wait....never an hour for sure!