PDA

View Full Version : Pecos Bill's menu revamp

jakeofwildwood
09-26-2015, 07:45 PM
I was just reading somewhere that Bill's is closing for 3 days at end of September for a menu revamp. No more burgers, no more cheese sauce. Burritos and rice bowls the new food view. Please tell me this isn't so! The free fixings bar is a major draw for my family, not sure even with updated grub that my heart would be in the place.

VWL Mom
09-26-2015, 08:03 PM
I just saw this and was coming to post. It was the only CS I ordered a burger at because of the fixing bar.

From Touringplans

f you are a fan of Pecos Bill’s you will notice a change on your next visit. Beginning September 28 and lasting through September 30, Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Inn and Cafe will be closed for refurbishment, however, the refurbishment work isn’t going to be changing the restaurant’s decor. Instead, when the Frontierland quick service restaurant reopens on October 1, it will feature a brand new menu; no more burgers!

The new menu that will soon be featured at the popular dining establishment will include delicious dishes like fajitas, burritos, and rice bowls. (Hmmmm….sound like the Magic Kingdom’s version of Chipotle? Also, could they maybe bring back the taco salad? That would be my wish anyway.)

No word on what will happen with the toppings bar with the refurb, though with the ingredients available currently, one would suspect that the toppings bar will remain with delicious offerings to use on your burrito or fajita.

texas211
09-26-2015, 08:43 PM
The death of Walt Disney, the closing of Maelstrom, and now this...

The place to go when you were sick of burgers. The burgers and fixings were a great reprieve.

If i see Olaf wearing a sombrero in there....

Sylvia
09-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Glad we ate there last month. This is our favorite place for a burger topped with lots of mushrooms.

Another of my favorite CS places gone, if the menu change really happens. Adding to the current menu might be better; not everyone eats fajitas and burritos.

EeyoresBestFriend
09-26-2015, 10:26 PM
:thedolls: SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT IMPRESSED!!!!! :thedolls:

Seriously???? What are they thinking?!?!? I love Peco's Bills and it is the ONLY place on site I will eat a burger . . . or should I say USED to eat burgers.

The place was always so busy that you could hardly get in there.

Fabulous way to shoot yourself in the foot, Disney!

brad192
09-26-2015, 10:56 PM
I predict a huge drop in sales if this happens. :yes:

While I'm always up for a good burrito/fajita entree', not everyone likes mexican food, but almost everyone enjoys a good burger (and Pecos Bill's has some of the best). :tasty: In addition, where else can you get a burger in that area of MK? Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland is the closest one I can recall. PB's is always packed, so they're doing something right there. Enhance & expand the menu offerings, sure. Just don't fix it if it ain't broke! :nono:

TheVBs
09-27-2015, 09:36 AM
Overall I think they've done a fabulous job revamping the CS offerings. But, this sounds like a huge mistake. :( We really enjoy PB just as it is. I'm sure the new offerings will be tasty, but like others have said, we go there for the burgers and the toppings bar.

texas211
09-27-2015, 12:19 PM
I wonder, are they just going to put in a Chipotle?

Plus, mexican food just seems so appealing. Besides, how does that fit into frontier land?

Polynesian Dweller
09-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Well no menu has been posted so obituaries are a bit premature until we see that. Also, this isn't being done in isolation. The new Skippers Canteen will be opening soon and they have to reposition and revamp the menus so that each restaurant's offerings have unique items and don't overly compete with each other.

Dulcee
09-28-2015, 09:49 AM
I wonder, are they just going to put in a Chipotle?

Plus, mexican food just seems so appealing. Besides, how does that fit into frontier land?

It doesn't sound like they are shooting for Mexican as much as south western, which does fit pretty well.

I'm kind of excited about this announcement. I must be the only one who finds the burgers :sick: thin, over cooked, flavorless, over processed, blech. All the mushrooms in the world can't save that.

magicofdisney
09-28-2015, 11:29 AM
I certainly wouldn't mind the return of a taco salad, if that's in the works.

AgentC
09-28-2015, 11:44 AM
It doesn't sound like they are shooting for Mexican as much as south western, which does fit pretty well.

I'm kind of excited about this announcement. I must be the only one who finds the burgers :sick: thin, over cooked, flavorless, over processed, blech. All the mushrooms in the world can't save that.

I'm with you on the burgers. I know they are hugely popular but they have never been appealing to me.

BrerGnat
09-28-2015, 11:57 AM
I've always had excellent burgers there. I will miss it. I do love a good fajita plate, but there is no way they can pull off a "good" fajita plate there. I'll likely pass on eating here in the future.

i'm grumpy
09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
I can't eat what's on the new menu. I didn't get a burger last time because I thought it was already something spicy. And why did they change to those awful chairs? :mad:

Stu29573
09-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Well, living in Texas, we have Mexican (or, even better Tex-Mex) on every corner that is probably as good if not better than anything they can come up with. I think this is a bit of a fail. I could see BBQ maybe (western style spicy, not so sweet). And anyone who thinks Chipotle is Mexican food needs to come visit me sometime for a taste bud awakening tour!:thedolls:

i'm grumpy
09-28-2015, 12:42 PM

They sure didn't help that kids' meal turkey sandwich. :ack:

Hammer
09-28-2015, 01:29 PM
I was just reading somewhere that Bill's is closing for 3 days at end of September for a menu revamp. No more burgers, no more cheese sauce. Burritos and rice bowls the new food view. Please tell me this isn't so! The free fixings bar is a major draw for my family, not sure even with updated grub that my heart would be in the place.

The cheese sauce has been gone for a while. WDW removed self serve cheese sauce at all of the counter service restaurants. No one knows for certain, but it is suspected that this could be a result of nuisance lawsuits (you know, suing due to people burning themselves even though it clearly says "contents may be hot" :shake: ). As of yet, cheese cups aren't on menus as a substitute, at least they weren't when I was there over Labor Day weekend.

Well no menu has been posted so obituaries are a bit premature until we see that. Also, this isn't being done in isolation. The new Skippers Canteen will be opening soon and they have to reposition and revamp the menus so that each restaurant's offerings have unique items and don't overly compete with each other.

I have seen it reported on Dining specialty websites, so I am thinking this is most likely happening. I do agree that this is probably due to the new sit down restaurant. If there is a sit down restaurant in the specified land that has a burger, usually there isn't a counter service place with burger.

Cosmic Ray's isn't that far away and they have a fixings bar with I think has almost all of the same items.

Goofy4TheWorld
09-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Cosmic Ray's isn't that far away and they have a fixings bar with I think has almost all of the same items.

But let's not forget the nightmare of having to cross to the other side of Main Street while Move It Shake It is going on, or even worse the 3pm parade.

It is a constant irritation to me that you can't get basic staples of American theme-park diets at most CS and TS locations. Even Cosmic Rays is a mess when you have to go through multiple lines to get what my local Sonic can bring to my parked car without it being a problem for them.

That's my :twocents: on the matter.

i'm grumpy
09-28-2015, 04:07 PM
We fought our way through the parade mess only to find Sleep Hollow was closed. :mad: Then back thought the mob to eat a hot dog standing over a trash can. :ack:

texas211
09-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Yeah, maybe my tastes aren't fancy enough. After walking around the park, in the heat and such. I don't want a burrito, or a lobster sandwich, sometimes I just want a burger and fries.

As someone said, I just want a sonic. Or a coney island. Frontierland is a little like Fort WOrth (where I live) how about a whataburger franchise?

Hmm. Might have to hunt be some squirrels like the guy looking for a low carb diet.

SurferStitch
09-29-2015, 12:16 PM

I'm with you!

I was never a fan of the burgers. I rarely eat burgers (maybe a couple a year), so when I do, I want a really good burger. I've had a burger at PB's once, and that was enough.

I'm looking forward to the change. Now we'll go back after skipping it so many years.

Rekced
09-29-2015, 10:01 PM
Is Skipper Canteen supposed to be counter service during lunch? Perhaps they will have burgers for lunch?

Crow
09-29-2015, 10:21 PM
well i used to like Pecos. due to the Fixins bar

Goofy4TheWorld
09-30-2015, 09:00 AM
Is Skipper Canteen supposed to be counter service during lunch? Perhaps they will have burgers for lunch?

Word on the Internet is that Skipper's will be just like BOG and be CS lunch and TS dinner.

But the problem with that is if you look at BOG's lunch menu, you will see that it is very limited in adult entrees, most of which are a soup or salad of some sorts, and the children's menu is only good for the kids who are adventurous eaters.

For most of the families in the real word, kids don't just east whatever you make them eat (and neither does the Dad), especially when they are tired and cranky too. So families end up crisscrossing a land or even an entire park rounding up hot dogs, hamburgers, and macaroni from 3 different spots.

Only the jumbo CS locations could accommodate everyone's preferences, and even then you had to go through multiple lines.

I would be stunned if Skipper's CS menu doesn't follow the same pattern as BOG and be limited and atypical theme park foods, especially for kids.

Sylvia
09-30-2015, 11:20 AM
Word on the Internet is that Skipper's will be just like BOG and be CS lunch and TS dinner.

But the problem with that is if you look at BOG's lunch menu, you will see that it is very limited in adult entrees, most of which are a soup or salad of some sorts.

During our recent trip, we ate lunch at BOG on 2 days. The lunch adult menu also offers several sandwiches, 3 of which we thoroughly enjoyed. Our choices were the croque monsieur (ham and cheese), roast beef on a roll, and turkey on a roll. All came with a side. We'll go back again on future trips.

etibbetts
09-30-2015, 01:12 PM
I'm disappointed in this change. If they had left a burger or a non-mexican choice it would have been great. However, there is someone in our party who will not eat any of those items so the rest of us will not eat there. By not giving one standard option, it does rule out some families who do not want to split up.

i'm grumpy
09-30-2015, 01:25 PM
The local Tex-Mex place removed a lot of non-Mexican menu items. I didn't appreciate paying $10 for their blah burger. :(

Goes4FastPass
09-30-2015, 02:46 PM
Here we go again,
WDW telling us something about "We listed to our guests..." as a way of introducing a change that means guests get less and pay more.

texas211
09-30-2015, 08:19 PM
Well, if timing works out there should be a lot more farting in the hall of presidents.

BrerGnat
09-30-2015, 10:27 PM
I'm disappointed in this change. If they had left a burger or a non-mexican choice it would have been great. However, there is someone in our party who will not eat any of those items so the rest of us will not eat there. By not giving one standard option, it does rule out some families who do not want to split up.

Our family is like that too. 3/4 will eat Mexican food. One won't, not even something like a quesadilla or even chips. We won't be going here anymore. Does this now leave only one place to get burgers in MK???

BrerGnat
10-01-2015, 12:21 AM
The Disney Parks Blog posted an official notice of the change along with some photos. The stuff looks kinda gross, IMO. The beef and chicken are shredded and look just bad, and that is in the official photos! The "fajitas"" will be a joke. It looks like dog food. Yuck.

TheVBs
10-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Granted, the burgers certainly weren't the best we've ever had. But if we were in the mood for burgers, it worked, especially with the toppings bar.

Took a peek at the pics of the new offerings on the blog, and they don't look very appetizing. We'll certainly give it a try though.

SurferStitch
10-01-2015, 01:17 PM
I think the food looks pretty good in the photos.

It's shredded meat... it isn't going to look as "pretty" as a steak or chicken breast. It looks lean to me.

I love fajita bowls, so those are right up my alley, especially the chicken.

Dulcee
10-01-2015, 01:52 PM

It's shredded meat... it isn't going to look as "pretty" as a steak or chicken breast. It looks lean to me.

ditto.

Plus a quesadilla and beans is a win as an easy meal for my son.

Crow
10-01-2015, 03:04 PM
they said there will still b a toppings bar

CAS
10-01-2015, 04:23 PM
As long as there are still toppings then I can put enough condiments on a leather shoe to make it palatable.

Stu29573
10-02-2015, 10:30 AM
I'll admit that I'm pretty much a Mexican food snob, but those pictures did NOT look good. It looks like they were going for a trendy "street taco" vibe and missed horribly. BTW, there were no street tacos in the wild west...ever.

BrerGnat
10-02-2015, 11:25 AM
I'll admit that I'm pretty much a Mexican food snob, but those pictures did NOT look good. It looks like they were going for a trendy "street taco" vibe and missed horribly. BTW, there were no street tacos in the wild west...ever.

I totally agree.

BrerGnat
10-02-2015, 11:26 AM

But the chicken, at least, does not look shredded after being cooked. It looks like they put the raw chicken through a cheese grater and then boiled it up. Looks like it will be rubbery and bland.

SurferStitch
10-02-2015, 12:28 PM
Well, when I'm there in December, I'll be sure to get the chicken to give it a fair shake. I don't care for beef in Tex-Mex food anyway, and always get either chicken, shrimp or fish.

It looks like it's shredded/chipped up.

Kerry823
11-14-2015, 10:59 PM
We just returned from 10 days at Disney. While we usually ate at Pecos in the past, because of the menu change we skipped it due to the limited options. I made note each time we passed by and in my estimation, it was not nearly as crowded as in the past. Actually, it looked very light in regard to past use. Time will tell if this significant menu change will work or not. On MK days, we found it much more more preferable to eat at our resort when we went back for a break except for th CS Reservation at BOG.

ThanxForNoticin
11-17-2015, 12:45 PM
We just returned from 10 days at Disney. While we usually ate at Pecos in the past, because of the menu change we skipped it due to the limited options. I made note each time we passed by and in my estimation, it was not nearly as crowded as in the past. Actually, it looked very light in regard to past use. Time will tell if this significant menu change will work or not. On MK days, we found it much more more preferable to eat at our resort when we went back for a break except for th CS Reservation at BOG.

Agree 100%. We also just returned, and were really looking forward to eating there again. When we saw the menu, we kept thinking there must a another page of choices, but there weren't. We were not the only people to turn around a walk out..... Used to be a regular lunch stop for us, but these changes just aren't for us. It's making us rethink our Magic Kingdom days and where we want to eat in the future....

goofiecrazy
11-17-2015, 02:58 PM
we either ate there or cosmic rays. ugh the new menu doesn't interest any of us! sad.

i'm grumpy
11-17-2015, 04:15 PM
we either ate there or cosmic rays. ugh the new menu doesn't interest any of us! sad.

Same with us. I fought the parade crowd once to try Sleepy Hollow and it was closed.

forever a child
11-18-2015, 05:37 PM
We skipped it once we saw the menu changes. I am not a big mexican food fan. DD ate there a couple of weeks ago and said it was a step above taco bell but not really a place she wanted to go back to. We are missing our pulled pork sandwiches and the fixings bar! :cry:

Evil Genius
11-19-2015, 11:22 AM
We love the new menu! It felt like Chipotle but with a killer fixins' bar!

SurferStitch
11-19-2015, 11:34 AM
We love the new menu! It felt like Chipotle but with a killer fixins' bar!

So glad to hear!! We plan to try in in a couple weeks!!

vjsull
11-20-2015, 09:39 AM
If it's like Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante in Disneyland I'll be thrilled!!!

BrerGnat
11-20-2015, 02:15 PM
If it's like Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante in Disneyland I'll be thrilled!!!

It doesn't look quite that good. ;)

TheSnappyPappy
11-21-2015, 01:15 PM
We just returned home from our annual family vacation. What a disappointment when we saw the P.B. menu. This used to be a regular stop for our whole family. Not anymore!!! We had to search far and wide for a simple hamburger. This restaurant now has nothing to do with the western theme. The smell alone was enough to turn us away (and believe me, we love some Mexican food.) I only hope that the old menu returns soon. Maybe the drop in sales will motivate Disney to give people what they want.

TheDuckRocks
11-22-2015, 02:57 PM
Just returned yesterday from our trip. Ate at Pecos's Bill's and was not impressed. Chipotle Mexican Grill is so much better, heck even Taco Bell is better by far. They did have a good fixings bar though with lots of cheese sauce.

Cinderelley
11-28-2015, 05:57 AM
Noooooo!!!! I loved this place. It just won't be the same. :(

Terra
11-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Can't wait to try it. Looks good to me.
I hope it does well. I'm not going to wish PB ill.
Seems Disney is darned if they do, darned if they don't.

ajwgroomer
11-28-2015, 10:00 PM
We just got back and we did try the new menu. I LOVED the burgers there and very sad they got rid of them and yes the Mexican food does NOT fit into Frontierland at all, I was also very disappointed in the choices, only 4 if I recall correctly, but on that note the food was actually really good! I still missed those burgers:(

BrerGnat
11-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Just wondering how people don't get how Mexican inspired food fits into Frontierland? Don't you realize almost the entire West once belonged to Mexico?

Fangorn
11-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Just wondering how people don't get how Mexican inspired food fits into Frontierland? Don't you realize almost the entire West once belonged to Mexico?

And don't forget that the original eatery at Disneyland's Frontierland was "Casa de Fritos". Although the name and menu has changed over the years, it remains a Mexican food place.

Trivia: Dortios were actually invented at Casa de Fritos in Disneyland as a way to use leftover tortillas that were otherwise being discarded. The snack idea was wildly popular, and Frito-Lay decided to take them regionally in 1964 and then nationally in 1966.

Steve

BrerGnat
11-29-2015, 12:26 PM
And don't forget that the original eatery at Disneyland's Frontierland was "Casa de Fritos". Although the name and menu has changed over the years, it remains a Mexican food place.

Trivia: Dortios were actually invented at Casa de Fritos in Disneyland as a way to use leftover tortillas that were otherwise being discarded. The snack idea was wildly popular, and Frito-Lay decided to take them regionally in 1964 and then nationally in 1966.

Steve

Yep...Rancho del Zocalo is right smack in Frontierland at Disneyland and has always served Mexican food. And it totally "fits."

BBQ was actually invented in the South and has roots in the Caribbean Islands, making it a much better fit for Adventureland.

Stu29573
11-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Being from Texas, I can easily see how it fits. However, also being from Texas. I can see how they can mangle Mexican food! Chipotle is bad enough! Stop the insanity!!!