PDA

View Full Version : Mary Poppins Reboot? Why?

Wayne
09-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Seeing reports of a new Mary Poppins in the works from Disney. Even if it is set 20 years after the original, I have to ask why? Have the suits and the bean counters lost their ever loving minds? Is there no more creativity in Hollywood... at all?

There is only one Mary Poppins and her name is Julie Andrews. I will not pay the price to see a charlatan.

PirateLover
09-15-2015, 08:54 PM
It's not a reboot, it's a sequel. I'm not over the moon about it, but I'll wait and see what happens. Trying to live up to Julie Andrews is a tall order, so I wonder who they will cast. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who I would like to see in the role.

NJDad
09-16-2015, 06:41 AM
Emily Blunt?

dobby2010
09-16-2015, 08:58 AM
The rumor I read said it would be Anne Hathaway. No idea if there is any truth to it. I find her a bit irritating so I hope not, but I can sort of see it.

magicofdisney
09-16-2015, 09:14 AM
The rumor I read said it would be Anne Hathaway. No idea if there is any truth to it. I find her a bit irritating so I hope not, but I can sort of see it.

Please tell me this isn't so! Obviously she has fans, but I'm not one of them. I want to remember Mary Poppins (aka, Julie Andrews) as is, and this would be an abomination for me. :(

Melanie
09-16-2015, 09:22 AM
Oh why not just stick with the pattern and have Carrie Underwood do it. :unsure:

Sorry, but after seeing Saving Mr. Banks and learning more about P.L. Travers, I bet she's screaming from her grave. She didn't want the first movie done, much less a sequel.

sorcerer fan
09-16-2015, 09:45 AM
wont be Ann Hathaway, she's persona non gratta to Disney after doing movies with nude scenes

PopPhan
09-16-2015, 10:38 AM
wont be Ann Hathaway, she's persona non gratta to Disney after doing movies with nude scenes

You do realize that Julie Andrews did a movie with a topless scene (Blake Edwards' "S.O.B.") and still came back to do other Disney movies? I don't think that is a non-starter for the Disney movie group. It would depend on the context...

baldburke
09-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Sorry, but after seeing Saving Mr. Banks and learning more about P.L. Travers, I bet she's screaming from her grave. She didn't want the first movie done, much less a sequel.

Agreed...I look at Mary Poppins completely differently after seeing Saving Mr. Banks. However P.L. wrote many Mary Poppins books herself so I see no harm in a sequel. It would be great if they could build the sequel on one of those books or an amalgam of a few to keep the continuity.

PirateLover
09-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Emily Blunt?

Ding ding ding. This seems to be leading the rumor mill now. Good prediction! I guess I could see it. I like her better than Hathaway, certainly.

MNNHFLTX
09-24-2015, 11:09 AM
There are certain classics that should just be left alone and Mary Poppins is one of them, IMO, at least in a cinematic venue. Is this sequel also going to be a musical?