PDA

View Full Version : do not miss!

Lindslou
09-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Hey gang,

We are three adults who normally frequent WDW on our first DLR trip (in 21 days!). What should we definitely not miss in terms of rides/attractions? What's better at DLR or not present at WDW for example?

Thank you!!

Linda
:mickey:

tinkwest
09-16-2015, 12:48 AM
My very first thought was to go see Aladdin at the Hyperion theatre in Hollywood Land at Disney California Adventure. It is said to be leaving soon so see it while you can.

Secondly, go to the Holiday Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. It just opened on Friday and, as usual, did not disappoint me. The Hatbox Ghost is still in attendance during the holidays.

I always take a ride on the Disneyland Railroad for the grand circle tour and a visit to the Grand Canyon & Primeval World. Play the music box in the Main Street station.

magicofdisney
09-16-2015, 09:42 AM
My very first thought was to go see Aladdin at the Hyperion theatre in Hollywood Land at Disney California Adventure. It is said to be leaving soon so see it while you can.

Secondly, go to the Holiday Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. It just opened on Friday and, as usual, did not disappoint me. The Hatbox Ghost is still in attendance during the holidays.

I always take a ride on the Disneyland Railroad for the grand circle tour and a visit to the Grand Canyon & Primeval World. Play the music box in the Main Street station.

I agree with all of this! Additionally, do NOT miss Pirates. It's so awesome at DL. :mickey:

Mr. Toad is there also.

EeyoresBestFriend
09-16-2015, 11:45 AM
So many of DL rides are different from WDW.

Agreed with the others, Pirates, DEFINITELY Haunted Mansion with the Jack overlay, DH liked Indiana Jones and the Railroad.

If you are Foodies, I highly recommend Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in DTD there. New Orleans cuisine and oh-so-good!

Word to the wise - we found the weekends there are WAAAAAY more crowded than WDW. Couldn't really move and we were there on an off time.

Enjoy and would love to hear a trip report after! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
09-16-2015, 11:47 AM
Do not miss:
Indiana Jones Ride
Space Mountain (will have the Ghost Galaxy overly, but is generally a much better ride than WDW)
Pirates (better at DL)
It's a Small World (better at DL)
Matterhorn
Alice in Wonderland (unique to DL)
Pinocchio Ride (unique to DL)
Monorail (its an attraction at DL)
Snow White (no longer at WDW)
Mr. Toad (no longer at WDW)
Storybook Land Canal Boats (unique to DL)
Casey Jr Circus Train (unique to DL)
Toontown (unique to DL)
Big Thunder Ranch (unique to DL)
Thunder Mountain (better at DL)
Splash Mountain (different than WDW)
Winnie the Pooh (different than WDW)
Autopia (better at DL)
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (better at DL)
Jungle Cruise (better at DL)
Haunted Mansion
Tower of Terror (different than WDW)
California Screamin'
Carsland (all of it is amazing!)
Grizzly River Run (better than Kali River Rapids)
Aladdin Show
All of Paradise Pier (unique to DCA)

Fireworks
Paint the Night Parade
Fantasmic (way better at DL)

Every CS restaurant (better than WDW) ;)

Goofster
09-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Everything Natalie said above. We were just there for our first time in January and are going right back the 1st week of January in 2016! As a WDW vet, we loved DLR...it's soaked with Disney history and it's a nice change from the massiveness of WDW.

Lindslou
09-19-2015, 07:00 AM

Thanks Tink! DH is a train nut so no way we miss the railroad. These sound like amazing suggestions! And I hadn't heard about the music box yet so we'll have to check that out!

Lindslou
09-19-2015, 07:02 AM
So many of DL rides are different from WDW.

Agreed with the others, Pirates, DEFINITELY Haunted Mansion with the Jack overlay, DH liked Indiana Jones and the Railroad.

If you are Foodies, I highly recommend Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen in DTD there. New Orleans cuisine and oh-so-good!

Word to the wise - we found the weekends there are WAAAAAY more crowded than WDW. Couldn't really move and we were there on an off time.

Enjoy and would love to hear a trip report after! :thumbsup:

We had heard that too about the weekends. We are hitting the parks Wed - Fri for that reason. You aren't the first person to recommend Ralph Brennan's so we'll have to get there. Thank you for the recs!!

Lindslou
09-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Do not miss:
Indiana Jones Ride
Space Mountain (will have the Ghost Galaxy overly, but is generally a much better ride than WDW)
Pirates (better at DL)
It's a Small World (better at DL)
Matterhorn
Alice in Wonderland (unique to DL)
Pinocchio Ride (unique to DL)
Monorail (its an attraction at DL)
Snow White (no longer at WDW)
Mr. Toad (no longer at WDW)
Storybook Land Canal Boats (unique to DL)
Casey Jr Circus Train (unique to DL)
Toontown (unique to DL)
Big Thunder Ranch (unique to DL)
Thunder Mountain (better at DL)
Splash Mountain (different than WDW)
Winnie the Pooh (different than WDW)
Autopia (better at DL)
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters (better at DL)
Jungle Cruise (better at DL)
Haunted Mansion
Tower of Terror (different than WDW)
California Screamin'
Carsland (all of it is amazing!)
Grizzly River Run (better than Kali River Rapids)
Aladdin Show
All of Paradise Pier (unique to DCA)

Fireworks
Paint the Night Parade
Fantasmic (way better at DL)

Every CS restaurant (better than WDW) ;)

Natalie that sounds like an exhaustive list! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. I'm going to print it and bring it with me! Thanks so much!!

:mickey::mickey::mickey:

BrerGnat
09-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Natalie that sounds like an exhaustive list! Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together. I'm going to print it and bring it with me! Thanks so much!!

:mickey::mickey::mickey:

You're welcome! It looks like a lot, but you can get it all in in 3 days, I promise. That's the great thing about DLR. Your Wed-Fri plans are great. Wed and Thurs are the slowest days at the parks.

texas211
09-19-2015, 10:19 PM
Like you, I'm a WDW'er, and we went to DL just last year.

Musts:
Cars land everything, especially the Racers
Aladdin musical
Mr. Toad (it lives!)
Fantasmic
Monster's Inc the dark ride (if you like dark rides)
Submarine Voyage.
Snow White (b/c it still is there)

Same, but nice. These rides have the fraction the wait time they do at WDW. .
Little Mermaid is like 5 minutes.
Toystory Midway. Toy story is like 20 minutes.

Heads up:
Pooh still has a really long wait. Same ride, different vehicles.
The only thing californians eat at DL are churros. Heads up on that.

Not better at DL:
Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion, Thunder Mountain, Small World,

Lindslou
09-19-2015, 10:34 PM
Like you, I'm a WDW'er, and we went to DL just last year.

Musts:
Cars land everything, especially the Racers
Aladdin musical
Mr. Toad (it lives!)
Fantasmic
Monster's Inc the dark ride (if you like dark rides)
Submarine Voyage.
Snow White (b/c it still is there)

Same, but nice. These rides have the fraction the wait time they do at WDW. .
Little Mermaid is like 5 minutes.
Toystory Midway. Toy story is like 20 minutes.

Heads up:
Pooh still has a really long wait. Same ride, different vehicles.

Not better at DL:

I've heard that about the churros! They must make them with crack! Thanks for all of the insight!

tinkwest
09-20-2015, 12:11 AM
Not better at DL: .... Haunted Mansion, ....

Keep in mind, as I mentioned earlier, that the Haunted Mansion will be in it's holiday mode with Jack Skellington and friends during your visit. Very different from regular Haunted Mansion.

Jeff
09-20-2015, 08:30 AM
"World of Color" light and water night time show at California Adventure.
This show is worth the whole trip west!

Lindslou
09-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Keep in mind, as I mentioned earlier, that the Haunted Mansion will be in it's holiday mode with Jack Skellington and friends during your visit. Very different from regular Haunted Mansion.

Oh I definitely need to see the overly. And regardless HM is one of my favorite attractions! No way I miss that one!

Lindslou
09-20-2015, 09:23 AM
"World of Color" light and water night time show at California Adventure.
This show is worth the whole trip west!

We are doing a dining package for that at Wine Country Trattoria so hopefully that affords us a good view. Great to hear it is worth the time allotted!

BrerGnat
09-20-2015, 10:37 AM

Not better at DL:

LOL. You are SO wrong that Californians only eat the churros. SO wrong. We eat it ALL! But yeah, the churrros rock for sure.

And I have to ask, did you ride Thunder Mountain with the new projections? Because, it is amazing and I think the whole ride is much better than WDW's. The track is so much smoother.

BrowncatP
09-20-2015, 11:01 AM
I had the WOC dinning package at Wine Country. You most likely will get wet. Take a rain poncho. I don't think that Monster's Inc. is a must see. I do agree with the other ride suggestions though.

Lindslou
09-20-2015, 11:21 AM
I had the WOC dinning package at Wine Country. You most likely will get wet. Take a rain poncho. I don't think that Monster's Inc. is a must see. I do agree with the other ride suggestions though.

This is hugely helpful information!!! I never would have though about getting wet. Thank you!!!!!

texas211
09-20-2015, 05:08 PM
LOL. You are SO wrong that Californians only eat the churros. SO wrong. We eat it ALL! But yeah, the churrros rock for sure.

And I have to ask, did you ride Thunder Mountain with the new projections? Because, it is amazing and I think the whole ride is much better than WDW's. The track is so much smoother.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure there was a Churro booth on board during the Storybrook ride. And I hear there is one at the top of Matter (took out the bball hoop).

I did. It's a push to me. WDW is bigger, and I like the refurb touches, as I do like the DL ones as well.

We liked the Monster's ride, as it had some cool details and like the dark rides of old (which still exist in DL).

BrerGnat
09-20-2015, 05:11 PM
This is hugely helpful information!!! I never would have though about getting wet. Thank you!!!!!

The level of getting wet depends largely on the wind. You will get misted in the front row, but will be fine about 15 feet back. If it's windy, you could get soaked!

BrerGnat
09-20-2015, 05:13 PM
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure there was a Churro booth on board during the Storybrook ride. And I hear there is one at the top of Matter (took out the bball hoop).

Well, they do sell churros on the parking lot trams, and in some of the restrooms, and in a few of the queue lines, but I mean, they would run out of them otherwise. ;)

I agree about Monster's Inc. Forgot to put that one on my list! I think it's a great dark ride.

disneydementia
09-30-2015, 10:41 AM
Stop at the Firehouse and pay your respects to Walt. There is a light in the window 24/7. I always stop on the way out and say "Thank you Walt for a magical day." Look for the spike in the ground as you walk through the castle. Use to be the very center of Disneyland before Toontown was added. Also like to stand or sit where I know Walt had been in pictures that I've seen. Have a wonderful visit!:mickey:

Lindslou
10-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Stop at the Firehouse and pay your respects to Walt. There is a light in the window 24/7. I always stop on the way out and say "Thank you Walt for a magical day." Look for the spike in the ground as you walk through the castle. Use to be the very center of Disneyland before Toontown was added. Also like to stand or sit where I know Walt had been in pictures that I've seen. Have a wonderful visit!:mickey:

Those are some lovely ideas. Thank you!

Lindslou
10-14-2015, 09:19 PM
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. We had an amazing trip! In lieu of a full trip report here are some hightlights:

** California weather - It was hot but it sure beats the humidity in FL!
** World of Color - I thought it was spectacular. Love the inclusion of NPH! Really glad we did the Wine Country Trattoria fastpass deal for good viewing. The food was great as a nice side effect.
** Haunted Mansion overlay - So well done, wish WDW would do this.
** Space Mountain overlay - Ditto! So scary!
** Mr. Toad's Wild ride - For nostalgia.
** California Screamin' - Very smooth ride!
** Paint the Night Parade - I hope (and suspect) they'll bring this to WDW
** Carsland - Even after all the hype it still exceeded my expectations. We spend a sublime hour on the main drag drinking beers and watching the people (and cars) go by. Solid meal at Flo's as well.
** Indiana Jones - Another one I wish we had at WDW.
** The Firehouse and the candle in Walt's window - Need I say more?
** Disneyland Forever fireworks - It was everything.
** Proximity of the parks to each other - So convenient!
** Churros - Actually not a highlight. We were underwhelmed. But they do have a lot of them!
** Seeing Soarin' for the last time - It's leaving WDW.
** Sleeping Beauty Castle exhibit - Loved it.
** Trader Sam's Tiki bar - This should have been at the top of the list. This place is the jam!
** Characters - They are all over the place at DLR (more so than at WDW).
** Snow White's wishing well - So sweet.
** Carthay Circle - So steeped in old Hollywood. Great place for a mid day break (drink).
** New Orleans Square - Love the theming. Also loved Café Orleans.
** Grizzly Peak - The Grizzly River run was fun (and wet!) and we also enjoyed the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.
** Uva Bar - A nice break between parks. And so nice Downtown Disney is so close to the parks.

I could go on but you all have things to do. = ) We greatly enjoyed our visit to "the original." Thanks to all for the help planning this adventure!

:mickey:

BrerGnat
10-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Yay! Sounds like you had a spectacular time! The weather has been ungodly hot lately, so that is kind of a bummer. Today's humidity was 95% and it was in the mid 80s. Felt like Florida....yuck! At least you weren't here for that. :)

I'm so glad we were able to give you some things to definitely not miss. Sounds like you did great! And, we really don't have that much to do. A full trip report would actually be the jam! ;)

tinkwest
10-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Nice to hear you had such a fun time. I always forget to tell people to do the walk through in Sleeping Beauty's castle. Glad you found it.