PDA

View Full Version : My First Deluxe Stay!

forever a child
09-04-2015, 11:35 AM
So I had to share and see if anyone has suggestions!

My DD is officially a CM. I am visiting her with my niece at the end of the month. We originally had the CBR booked for 5 nights but my DD was able to get us 4 nights at AKL for less $ than we were paying at CBR. So I decided to try my very first split stay! Both will be new resorts for us. This is the last moderate I need to stay at and then I will have been a guest at all of the moderate resorts. This will be my first deluxe though!

So we have the option of a park day for arrival. I got us early flights so we will arrive early enough. I wasn't planning on that as a park day necessarily. So should we just hang at the resort and explore/swim and visit my DD's apartment and roommates etc? What can we do at AKL? Also, I have never been to the boardwalk. My niece turns 15 today so I don't want her to be bored either. Any thoughts?

Also, for our split stay...any suggestions with that?
Thanks!!!

MNNHFLTX
09-04-2015, 01:09 PM
If it were me, I would definitely hang out at AKL and enjoy the amenities, especially if this is your first deluxe resort stay! Enjoy the pool and hot tub, eat at one of the restaurants there (Boma is my favorite), hang out in the lobby, or sit on your balcony or one of the viewing balconies and watch the animals in late afternoon/evening (when they're being fed). In the evening they have storytelling around the fire pit in the Arusha savannah, and night goggle viewing of the animals. I can't imagine your niece would get bored! Then wake up and start your first day in the parks refreshed and ready to go!

CynBeth
09-04-2015, 07:40 PM
We are staying at the AKL for the first time in November as the second resort of a split stay and can't wait! Boma is great for dinner and breakfast. It will be our second time doing a split stay. I would not make too many plans on arrival day.
A few years ago when we were last at Disney we were supposed to have an early flight and arrive around 9 something so we figured to have a half day at DHS. Our flight time got changed so by the time we landed at 11 something, got our luggage and rental car, drove to our resort and got in our room, and had a quick bite at Roaring Forks we did not get to DHS until 2 and had an early dinner ADR so we could not do much. Thank goodness we had not made a lunch ADR and allowed time later in the week where we could go back to that park.

Jillpie
09-05-2015, 08:47 PM
You will LOVE AKL!! Since we went to Africa last year, I have a special love for it. We have stayed as DVC members many years now there, and love it each time. The one thing you have to do, is start at one end of each hallway (where rooms are) and see all the amazing African artwork. You could spend hours doing this if you enjoy it. I still haven't seen it all. Each floor, each hallway, is filled with it. It is an activity to do all day! So enjoyable. We will be there in October, and can't wait!

joanna71985
09-05-2015, 09:16 PM
I stayed at AKL and loved it! My favorite thing was sitting on the balcony and watching the animals

lawgirl
09-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Ooooh I LOVE AKL! Its my favorite. There is so much to do there. I love walking around and exploring. The lobby is incredible. I love just hanging out and relaxing there. The pool is awesome. Also, make sure you walk over to Kidani (I'm assuming you are staying at the main lodge) and check out Sanaa.

We stayed at CBR for the first time in 20 years, and I actually absolutely loved it. We usually stay deluxe, but I'm a huge fan of CBR now!

It seems to always work that we end up getting in later than originally planned. We had a fairly early flight, but it took forever to get to the resort and get checked in, so I'd be hesitant to plan anything until dinner time. And it could be b/c we have small kids, but by the time we get to the resort, I'm usually too exhausted to do much of anything. I can't really imagine trying to do a park after flying and being carted around. AKL has great restaurants, and is just gorgeous. I hope you have a great time!

lawgirl
09-06-2015, 09:33 AM
Oh and check the resort schedule. It seems like they always have something going on. One night, they were doing smores around the fire pit, and had the night vision goggles available, which is so cool!

forever a child
09-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. I think we are going to plan to enjoy the resort and visit my DD at her apartment and meet her roommates. We do have ressies at 7:30 that evening at the California Grill but that was all we had scheduled for the day. I think exploring the resort and hanging out at the pool sounds fine by me. :cloud9:

#1donaldfan
09-07-2015, 01:38 PM
We have been fortunate enough to stay at AKL several times and it's incredible !! The pool is great and to see the animals right from your balcony is the best way to start the day, coffee in hand. If you plan on visiting your daughter that day, I'd just play at the resort, then just resort hop after ..... have fun !! :thumbsup: