PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Lobby?

baldburke
08-20-2015, 10:04 PM
I don't know if it's been asked before, but what's your favorite lobby and why?

We've only stayed there once but I'd have to say AKL. It's very impressive when you first walk in. The details are awesome and the smell is incredible. the biggest plus is being and to walk right out the back overlooking the fire pit and the savanna.

chefmickey3
08-21-2015, 08:05 AM
Wilderness Lodge is a close second, but AKL is my favorite!

TikiLounger
08-21-2015, 08:39 AM
Wilderness Lodge! It's majestic and cozy, at the same time.

laprana
08-21-2015, 10:57 AM
If I was answering this a couple years ago, my answer would have been the Poly, hands down. I loved everything about the lobby - the waterfall, the plants and flowers, the smell...oh, the smell. :D But since the refurb, not so much. It's still nice, but just not the same. So now, AKL has moved firmly into the top spot for me. It's one of those places in WDW that just makes you stop dead in your tracks when the doors open and stand there with your mouth agape. :jaw: It's absolutely beautiful and really makes you feel like you've been transported to a whole different place.

ThanxForNoticin
08-21-2015, 11:35 AM
Many are really nice - AKL is still breath-taking.....

kakn7294
08-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Mine is Wilderness Lodge. I love the rustic look, the fireplace, the water feature, and the expanse of windows along the back that looks out over the pool and Bay Lake.

#1donaldfan
08-21-2015, 11:55 AM
AKL hands down. Truly the WL is much the same in architecture, not décor, but for me WCC takes away from the comfy feel I get at the AKL. :mickey:

EeyoresBestFriend
08-21-2015, 11:59 AM
I love seeing my 'home' lobby of French Quarter, but AKL is the best! I have a picture of it on my desktop that transports me there on a regular basis :thumbsup:

VacationDisney
08-21-2015, 02:31 PM
AKL :cloud9:

You walk into that lobby and it's takes your breath away. The lobby just seems to invite you to sit and stay awhile.

The original decor just really makes one think they are truly in another world!

goofy-4-disney
08-21-2015, 02:32 PM
My favorite lobby is the Wilderness Lodge. You know you're in central Florida, but when you get inside it sure takes you somewhere else.

DisneyGiant
08-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Had to vote for the Grand Flo - its the biggest & sunniest.

I find the Wilderness & Animal Kingdom Lodges too dark.

I love the Boardwalk - it has my sunniest criteria - but it is too small.

darthmacho
08-21-2015, 02:53 PM
The Wilderness Lodge. I was skeptical when my wife suggested WDW for our honeymoon, but then I saw the brochure photos of the Wilderness Lodge, including the lobby, and I was hooked. Let's just say, even the brochure didn't do it the justice it deserved. When I walked through those doors for the first time, heard the majestic classical music, saw the soaring height of the lobby totems and fireplace, smelled the smoky scent of the bbq, and heard the raucous calls for ketchup from Whispering Canyon, I instantly felt like I was truly at "home".

Melanie
08-23-2015, 11:46 AM
For nostalgic reasons, I like WL. But through the years, AKL has become the grandest to me. Coronado Springs also gets an honorable mention.

Priority Four
08-24-2015, 12:49 PM
WL edges out AKL. They are close, but nothing compares to how I felt the first time I walked into WL.

conan617
08-24-2015, 01:45 PM
Another vote for AKL. The resort has a special place in my heart and the lobby is the gateway.

joonyer
08-24-2015, 04:12 PM
Wilderness Lodge. It instantly transports you to another place.

tjstrike
08-25-2015, 01:44 AM
AKL Jambo lobby is awesome !! From the wall of windows to the indoor fire pit, the staircase down to the animal viewing area, all are spectacular. :thumbsup:

SurferStitch
08-25-2015, 01:32 PM
Grand Flo.... pure opulence. The style and grandeur of the huge chandeliers, the band, the grand piano, the characters in the tile flooring, the shops.... :cloud9:.

Mitzie
09-01-2015, 09:42 AM
I don't know if it's been asked before, but what's your favorite lobby and why?

We've only stayed there once but I'd have to say AKL. It's very impressive when you first walk in. The details are awesome and the smell is incredible. the biggest plus is being and to walk right out the back overlooking the fire pit and the savanna.

I too love the smell of AKL's lobby! I am not sure what they pump in there but when you are walking in from one of the wings you know you are getting close because of that smell.

DebK
09-01-2015, 04:37 PM
I went with the GF lobby......It was our first resort so it holds a special place in my heart!

Tinker1111
09-01-2015, 09:39 PM
I absolutely love the Wilderness Lodge! It has such a warm and comfortable feeling, yet such elegance.

baldburke
09-02-2015, 12:23 PM
I guess I'm surprised we're not seeing more votes for Aulani? I thought it was along the same vein as AKL or WL? Maybe many Intercotees haven't visited yet? In looking at the pictures of the Aulani lobby online maybe it just doesn't have the height and scope of the AKL and WL lobbies to make it as impressive?

Maddie
09-02-2015, 12:37 PM
AKL is beautiful and so fully engulfed in the theme You are in a while different world, it does not even feel like a hotel lobby!

Mendelson
09-02-2015, 05:57 PM
I almost feel like this poll should exclude AKL and WL, because come on.

I really, really love the smell of the Beach Club (synthetic green clover and aloe, from the company that provides them with those scents). It just really adds to what is a great themed environment.

Katzateer
09-03-2015, 08:54 AM
So many beautiful choices but GF wins hands-down with me. It is bright, cheerful, beautiful, normally not too loud, comfortable seats, and I love the piano and band music. Spent many breaks resting and even a few naps on a long hot park day.

ThanxForNoticin
09-03-2015, 01:04 PM
I almost feel like this poll should exclude AKL and WL, because come on.

I really, really love the smell of the Beach Club (synthetic green clover and aloe, from the company that provides them with those scents). It just really adds to what is a great themed environment.

An oh how I used to look forward to walking into the lobby at the Beach Club when Art the Greeter was there - he instantly made your day a better day!

Davy Crockett
09-03-2015, 01:18 PM
Wilderness Lodge of course :thumbsup: I love the turn of the century rustic feel with the lighting and the exposed Lodge Pole timbers as well as the music. What other resort can you go and take a squat in rocking chair next to a grand fireplace....

Second choice (not so much now since the Reno) would be the Poly. I wish they had left it ALONE.

lawgirl
09-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Very close between AKL and Aulani. But AKL will always have my heart! From the time we pull up, its such an overwhelming experience for me. I want to live there! But Aulani is spectacular too...not much else beats the Hawaiian breeze blowing through your hair. Tough call!

lawgirl
09-06-2015, 09:49 AM
I guess I'm surprised we're not seeing more votes for Aulani? I thought it was along the same vein as AKL or WL? Maybe many Intercotees haven't visited yet? In looking at the pictures of the Aulani lobby online maybe it just doesn't have the height and scope of the AKL and WL lobbies to make it as impressive?

Aulani is spectacular, but I think the actual lobby is not as grand or awe inspiring as AKL. It definitely lacks the height and scope, even though once you move on through it and see the view it is absolutely amazing. I do love the murals in the Aulani lobby, but I think the main thing for me is the scope is not as grand. It is very similar (in my opinion) to AKL. When we've been, I always say I feel like I'm at the Hawaiian AKL. Alot of the detailing is similar in style. But AKL is just so massive and spectacular! It was a close call for me, for sure!

And I think Aulani does a good job of feeling more a part of the natural landscape and beauty of Hawaii, and is more about being a part that nature, whereas AKL is spectacularly successful at creating the landscape and making you feel immersed in that created environment. Just a thought! So the architecture at AKL really steals the show!

RavsRuleDisney!
09-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Decided to base my choice on resorts (and their lobbies) that we have actually stayed at. I do think AKL is quite impressive - Imagineering at its best, but a)have not stayed there and b)its a bit too 'dark' for my visual taste. That being said, POLY would have received my vote but seeing as this is not a thread from a few years back AND we have not been back to experience the finished lobby I will easily go with WL. Well done throughout from the broad strokes to the tiny touches, our home away from home.... :mickey:

snowflakegirl
09-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Animal Kingdom Lodge for me. Although Wilderness Lodge was very nice to check out on our most recent trip, AKL is still my favorite. I love the themeing and the smells and sounds.

bdm@pga
09-14-2015, 09:53 AM
We love to sit in the Grand Flo and just listen to the band an piano player. Sometimes for hours. It reminds me of my childhood. My father was a musician, and I am as well, and I grew up listening to dixie land jazz. My father was also a piano player and he played in restaurants and hotels and this just takes me back to that. It gives me the opportunity to show my children what their grandfather did for a living, and nurture their own love of music.

Checkers
09-14-2015, 07:30 PM
While I love the WL, I also find the Boardwalk & Yacht/Beach Club great. Never been to AKL so can't compare. I do think that is one thing that Disney does well. However, as a DVC member owning points at OKW, I think they dropped the ball there. Very small without a personality.

WiltonJohn
09-15-2015, 03:44 PM
AKL........ particularly now that we've stayed there.

best,

...............john

Zawadi
09-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Most definitely AKL. Jaw dropping when you walk through the door. And the window........wow!

baldburke
09-15-2015, 09:38 PM
AKL making a comeback? All are beautiful for sure! Will we see another?

BIGDOG
09-16-2015, 04:23 PM
Had to vote for the Grand Flo - its the biggest & sunniest.

I find the Wilderness & Animal Kingdom Lodges too dark.

I love the Boardwalk - it has my sunniest criteria - but it is too small.

************************************************** ***********************************************

I love the AKL also, the food is great and really nice pools and spa. But I have to agree with DisneyGiant the wood work and decor is so dark; it's too much. I like bright sunny tropical feeling resorts. I would vote say BEACH CLUB or BOARDWALK

MouseHouser
10-18-2015, 12:57 PM
Really love the WL and GF, but having stayed at AKL, it had to get my vote.

For us, visiting these hotels even when we're not staying at them is always part of a visit to Orlando. All breath-taking.

DisneyEpcotDad
10-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Wilderness Lodge. The view to the top floors, the expansiveness of the area, the fireplace, the decor itself. Quite majestic for an indoor view.

baldburke
10-18-2015, 07:50 PM
With nearly half the votes it looks like Wilderness Lodge is the undisputed champ!

BrerGnat
10-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Definitely Wilderness Lodge!

hubbyofadisneyholic
10-18-2015, 08:45 PM
WL is nice, but AKL is awesome.
I could spent hours sitting there in one of the comfy chairs listening to the music.
Actually...I have. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
10-18-2015, 09:32 PM
I get such a weird vibe from the AKL lobby. Whenever I am in there my skin crawls. Maybe I'm picking up some sympathetic vibrations. ;)