PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Club Purchase ?

missymouseworld
08-16-2015, 01:52 PM
When you purchased your Disney Vacation Club Points, did you buy directly thru Disney or on the retail market?

John
08-16-2015, 02:50 PM
We bought resale - got a great price and allowed us to buy less points that Disney ever would.

Our home resort is Hilton Head and we only own 60 points. That's all we needed/wanted right now.

Gets us 4 nights and 5 days every year and a 5th day every 3rd or 4th year :)

CanadianWDWFan
08-16-2015, 02:50 PM
We bought resale and it save us quite a bit of money, but it was before all the changes regarding who you buy from. Even still we are planning on adding on and plan to only use our points for DVC properties so the changes won't affect us very much.

faline
08-16-2015, 04:14 PM
We also bought resale but it before the rules change so we got all the same rights and privileges as anyone who buys directly from Disney.

Basket Mommy
08-16-2015, 04:32 PM
Resale. We own 2 different contracts at HHI for a total of 350 points. Our 1st contract was 150 ($66 per point) and then a year or so later we bought a loaded contract of 200 points $59 pp), so we had 550 pts to use that year. That was nice! We also bought before the rules changed, but we have only used our points at WDW and HHI.

disneymom15
08-16-2015, 06:23 PM
We bought both ways. First purchase was thru Disney, second and third purchase thru the time share store.

VWL Mom
08-16-2015, 07:29 PM
We made our first purchase through Disney and the second resale.

baldburke
08-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Resale! Saved lots of $$$. However if you are interested in using it beyond the Disney properties (DL, WDW, Aulani, HHI and VB) then buy new. We're only interested for Disney. Good luck!

missymouseworld
08-17-2015, 07:32 AM
It would be used primarily at the WDW properties, so I am seeing from the responses that most people purchased in the retail market.....will have to keep looking for a good deal for the properties we are interested in.
Thanks.

Checkers
08-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Bought our first direct from Disney, and the two more resale. All before the restrictions were added.

DANAM
08-18-2015, 02:40 PM
Bought our first direct from Disney, and the two more resale. All before the restrictions were added.

We are renting with hopes of buying within the next year. We with probably do a small resale just to get started and add on as we go. What are the rules and restrictions that everyone is talking about if you by resale? Or is there a place I can look that up?

anneo
08-18-2015, 04:25 PM
The restrictions are you can't use resale points towards Adventures by Disney, the cruises, the concierge collection, and maybe one or two other things. Having restrictions like that in place are, in my opinion, mainly to scare potential buyers from looking into the resale market. The amount of points it takes to do any of those things that are in the restricted category is obscene, so one is better off just renting out their points and using that money towards a cruise, Adventure by Disney, or whatever instead of using points to do those things.

tjstrike
08-20-2015, 10:13 PM
We bought direct but got a great price because I bought in under my sister which knocked $15 a point off so we got SSR for $85 a point in 2006. Resale is definitely the way to go now though, especially if you're buying just to go to WDW.

diz_girl
08-21-2015, 11:35 AM
We bought ours (BLT) direct, but that was because you could only get it direct at the time back in 2009 when it was just opening. We also got it at a good price at $98 per point, since BLT is going on the resale market now for at least $115 per point. If we bought additional points, which is unlikely right now, it would depend on the resort. Since we would only use our points at DVC resorts, then we would do resale for most resorts except the new ones that would only be selling direct. We would go direct for the new resorts.

baldburke
08-21-2015, 07:25 PM
The restrictions are you can't use resale points towards Adventures by Disney, the cruises, the concierge collection, and maybe one or two other things. Having restrictions like that in place are, in my opinion, mainly to scare potential buyers from looking into the resale market. The amount of points it takes to do any of those things that are in the restricted category is obscene, so one is better off just renting out their points and using that money towards a cruise, Adventure by Disney, or whatever instead of using points to do those things.

That's what friends told us as well. They said you'd be far better off paying for a cruise outright with cash vs. using points. Roughly speaking, how many points are required for a stateroom with veranda on a five or seven day cruise?

faline
08-22-2015, 11:28 AM
The number of points will vary by cruise and time traveled. I just took a quick look at 2016 points charts. For a seven night cruise, you could be looking at somewhere between 594 - 900 points for 2 adults. Tack on a couple of kids between the ages of 3-12 and you can add on another 256 - 928 points.

For a five night cruise, you could be looking at 292 - 638 points for 2 adults; with those two kids, it could add an additional 106 - 266 points.

baldburke
08-22-2015, 10:30 PM
The number of points will vary by cruise and time traveled. I just took a quick look at 2016 points charts. For a seven night cruise, you could be looking at somewhere between 594 - 900 points for 2 adults. Tack on a couple of kids between the ages of 3-12 and you can add on another 256 - 928 points.

For a five night cruise, you could be looking at 292 - 638 points for 2 adults; with those two kids, it could add an additional 106 - 266 points.

Ouch! :crying::cry: