PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

John
08-15-2015, 04:37 PM
Today at the D23 EXPO 2015, The Walt Disney Company Chairman and CEO Bob Iger announced to an audience of more than 7,500 fans that Star Wars-themed lands will be coming to Disneyland park in Anaheim, Calif., and Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla., allowing Star Wars fans to step into the stories from a galaxy far, far away.

Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

Ambitious plans to bring Star Wars to life in the two parks include creating Disney’s largest single-themed land expansions ever at 14-acres each, transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life.

Artist Concept Shows Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

“I am thrilled to announce the next chapter in the long and exciting history between Disney Parks and Star Wars,” said Iger. “We are creating a jaw-dropping new world that represents our largest single themed land expansion ever. These new lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World will transport guests to a whole new Star Wars planet, including an epic Star Wars adventure that puts you in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance.”

Artist Concept Shows Star Wars-Themed Lands Coming to Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts

These authentic lands will have two signature attractions, including the ability to take the controls of one of the most recognizable ships in the galaxy, the Millennium Falcon, on a customized secret mission, and an epic Star Wars adventure that puts guests in the middle of a climactic battle.

DonaldDuck1117
08-15-2015, 04:43 PM
Shocked! Shocked I tell you!!

All kidding aside, this is exactly the shot in the arm Studios needed. 14 acre themed land? Holy cow!

Now where is my Pixar Place expansion announcement! :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
08-15-2015, 04:57 PM
Very excited to hear this, although TBH 14 acres doesn't seem big enough. Carsland at DCA is 12 acres and it's pretty small. Both Harry Potter lands are 20 acres and THEY seem small. I am envisioning serious crowd control issues to come. They will probably have to use a timed ticket entry system. These lands are going to be SUPER popular.

Joannelet
08-15-2015, 05:25 PM
I was never a Star Wars fan but now with my 6 year old son who is a Jedi in training we are ecstatic! Although we did know this was coming but to hear a little more about it-well woohoooo! :)

John
08-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Very excited to hear this, although TBH 14 acres doesn't seem big enough. Carsland at DCA is 12 acres and it's pretty small. Both Harry Potter lands are 20 acres and THEY seem small. I am envisioning serious crowd control issues to come. They will probably have to use a timed ticket entry system. These lands are going to be SUPER popular.

Be nice if that was themed space and not show buildings and support but like you said... Excited to hear it.

Ian
08-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that both these new attractions are going to be like Star Tours?

BrerGnat
08-15-2015, 05:47 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that both these new attractions are going to be like Star Tours?

I'm thinking more similar to Mission Space than Star Tours. Take the controls of the millennium falcon better not mean "make the spaceship go up and down as it goes around and around."

As for the other ride? I'm envisioning something along the lines of a Spiderman/Forbidden Journey mashup.

Ian
08-15-2015, 05:52 PM
I hope they wouldn't be foolish enough to replicate Mission: Space. The $100 million attraction with the five minute wait time?

Jeff
08-15-2015, 05:59 PM
Great news! I think this will be very well done because of the push from Universal and Harry Potter "land"!
Now, as Tom Petty says, "The Waiting is the Hardest Part"!

Altair
08-15-2015, 06:06 PM
I always get a kick out of concept art. I can't wait to control one of those Tie Fighters overhead. :blush:

DisneyGiant
08-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Did they announce the Hollywood Studios name change yet?

hubbyofadisneyholic
08-15-2015, 08:37 PM
This sounds like it has awesome potential.
However, the way things at WDW seem to move at the speed of snail, I wonder if I will live long enough to see it completed.

GoBlueLacheta
08-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Interesting they went with Toy Story land instead of a centralized Pixar themed area, slinky coaster looks okay but the carnival claw ride similar to tow maters at DL doesn't make one jump up and down.

Ian
08-15-2015, 08:39 PM
No news on a name change, but Toy Story Land was announced (two new rides plus the extra TSM track) and they also announced Pirates 5 with Orlando Bloom and Geoffrey Rush returning. :mickey:

joanna71985
08-15-2015, 09:14 PM
I hope nothing has to close for this

BrerGnat
08-15-2015, 10:51 PM
I hope nothing has to close for this

Uh, a LOT of things will have to close for all these new additions.

Tekneek
08-16-2015, 07:49 AM
...they also announced Pirates 5 with Orlando Bloom and Geoffrey Rush returning. :mickey:

I thought that had already been announced? My wife was telling me about that 6 months ago.

As far as the other announcements go, I am a Star Wars fan (not fanatic), so it is interesting but so far nothing that would make me book a WDW vacation. I think my days of getting really excited about anything sight unseen (concept art does not count) that is made by Disney are over for good.

Tekneek
08-16-2015, 09:05 AM

I would think a lot of things will close for years while these are being built, perhaps as much as 5 years.

WiltonJohn
08-16-2015, 09:35 AM
It is amazing that with an announcement with the potential scope of this one (and all the other pieces), that the negativity just keeps get ting piled on before the dust even settles from the announcement.

Personally, I am just going to wait and see what might turn out to be a great thing. Right now no one knows what it will turn out to be.

best,

..................john

Tekneek
08-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Personally, I am just going to wait and see what might turn out to be a great thing. Right now no one knows what it will turn out to be.

Most of the comments seem neutral at worst and otherwise positive. I'm in a wait-and-see mode. Concept art almost always looks cool, but the finished product doesn't always live up to that hope. That's all I mean about no longer being truly excited about something "coming soon" based on concept art. I'll wait for the real deal, and am even more interested in seeing how well it is maintained after that. I have not forgotten what it was like to see the Yeti in full glory during that first year, nor what it has been like to speed through the disco Yeti dance party ever since.

joanna71985
08-16-2015, 10:18 AM

Well, it better not include MuppetVision and Indiana Jones

1DisneyNut
08-16-2015, 10:23 AM

I hope they wouldn't be foolish enough to replicate Mission: Space. The $100 million attraction with the five minute wait time?

You wouldn't think they would do that and hopefully they build real rides not simulators. We can't even ride Star Tours because it gives us motion sickness.

I would think they would probably build a brand new real deal motion attraction and probably wouldn't be surprised if they build a new upgraded Star Tours type simulator.

Regardless, this is good news for Hollywood Studios and opens up an entirely new avenue for future attractions.

It is amazing that with an announcement with the potential scope of this one (and all the other pieces), that the negativity just keeps get ting piled on before the dust even settles from the announcement.

best,

..................john

I have read the thread 3 times and the only negativity I see is someone complaining about what they perceive as negativity.

What I see is a discussion and people voicing their concerns and opinions which is exactly what discussion forums are all about. If we all wore rose colored glasses and posted nothing but yippee and kudos, these forums wouldn't last long because they would be completely boring. Besides that, everyone voicing their opinions and concerns does impact decision making and future products.........it is called "feedback."

John
08-16-2015, 10:48 AM

best,

..................john

Without discussion and disagreement, forums and life for that matter would be awfully boring. People can express opinions based on the limited information so far and they also can evolve over time.

Those opinions are often based in some degree of fact or life experience - which makes them completely valid.

Me, I'm mixed with both positive and negative given the Star Wars and Toy Story Lands announcement. Some of it looks cool, some of it looks like the bean counters won out.

In the end, some of us will be proved wrong, some right - and along the way, we'll enjoy discussing the future of what most consider our favorite vacation spot.

As we say on the podcast - We Crank Because We Care.

BrerGnat
08-16-2015, 10:57 AM

I would probably get ready to say goodbye to both of those. Logistically, it will be hard to keep Muppets given its proximity to Star Tours and the rumors of Streets of America going away. Maybe Muppets will be relocated? I think the stunt show is a goner, though.

John
08-16-2015, 11:36 AM
I would probably get ready to say goodbye to both of those. Logistically, it will be hard to keep Muppets given its proximity to Star Tours and the rumors of Streets of America going away. Maybe Muppets will be relocated? I think the stunt show is a goner, though.

Actually, now that you mention it - the whole lack of Indiana Jones attraction coming to the east coast is a major downer. Combine that with Star Wars and Toy Story Land and you would have had one killer announcement.

Totally forgot about that.

Tekneek
08-16-2015, 11:56 AM

I am a Star Wars fan, but my love for the Muppets is a lot closer to fanaticism. I do not doubt that trading Muppets for Star Wars is good for business, but it would be bad for me. It would require the Star Wars stuff be more than simply there, it had better wow me to the point that I don't miss the Muppets.

Actually, now that you mention it - the whole lack of Indiana Jones attraction coming to the east coast is a major downer. Combine that with Star Wars and Toy Story Land and you would have had one killer announcement.

Totally forgot about that.

I like Indiana Jones about as much as Star Wars, to be honest, so including something NEW (like a SEQUEL to the Disneyland attraction) would've been pretty interesting for me. I am not actually surprised nothing was announced, as I have long had the feeling it is viewed as a throw-in w/ regards to the Lucas acquisition.

baldburke
08-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Love the Muppets but MuppetVision is about 15 to 20 years overdue for an update.

BrerGnat
08-16-2015, 12:43 PM
Love the Muppets but MuppetVision is about 15 to 20 years overdue for an update.

I totally agree. Frankly, I find that attraction to be terribly dated and boring. I am not a huge Muppets fan, I guess, but they could do SO much better than that.

acetate
08-16-2015, 01:50 PM
I know I'll be in the minority here, but it seems to me that after these 2 additions there will actually be less to do than more. Here's why. They are removing a variety of things from different titles to make room for 2. If you are not into Star Wars or have kids that might like a Toy Story kiddie coaster, then it's business as usual at the studios. Still will be a half day park for me.

DonaldDuck1117
08-16-2015, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't call the Slinky Dog coaster a kiddie coaster. They said family coaster, which to me puts it on the level of space, big thunder, and 7DMT.

And why do you need to be a fan of the movies to enjoy the rides? I had never read a Harry Potter book, nor seen a single movie, but still had a blast at the original Wizarding World. Why? Because the rides were created in a way that told me all I needed to know about the story to enjoy the rides.

Point being, if the imagineers tell the story through the queue, and preshow then you don't need to be a fan of the source material to enjoy the ride.

acetate
08-16-2015, 08:19 PM
lol. I knew I'd be in the minority, but my real point was there used to be a larger range of topics that you could choose from in the park. especially if they remove Muppets, and Indy, Little Mermaid etc. all to be replaced with just 2 film franchises. Either Star Wars or Toy Story. Its hard for me to explain. Someone out there might feel the same as me. Like I said, for me especially through the years of coming construction it will defiantly remain a half day park.

Tearin_it_up
08-16-2015, 08:25 PM
Yeah, not very excited with the lack of any Indy news. We already new StarWars land was probable, Toy Story was an interesting surprise though.

Tekneek
08-17-2015, 05:56 AM
lol. I knew I'd be in the minority, but my real point was there used to be a larger range of topics that you could choose from in the park. especially if they remove Muppets, and Indy, Little Mermaid etc. all to be replaced with just 2 film franchises. Either Star Wars or Toy Story. Its hard for me to explain. Someone out there might feel the same as me. Like I said, for me especially through the years of coming construction it will defiantly remain a half day park.

You make a good point. For some people, the Star Wars stuff will be like the Harry Potter stuff and they will pay $100 a day just to hang out in it. Unless it is truly legendary, I can't imagine doing more than passing through it like I do the rest of WDW (and Universal for that matter).

baldburke
08-17-2015, 12:28 PM
You make a good point. For some people, the Star Wars stuff will be like the Harry Potter stuff and they will pay $100 a day just to hang out in it. Unless it is truly legendary, I can't imagine doing more than passing through it like I do the rest of WDW (and Universal for that matter).

I was listening to my local news this morning (ABC out of Philly) and as part of what must have been an entertainment feature they gave a quick synopsis of the upcoming Rouge One film. I found it interesting that they mentioned that it was about a group that came together to steal the secret Death Star plans. I suppose what was interesting to me was that they mention it as if it is common knowledge that everyone knows what the Death Star is (or was) and about the stolen plans.

Disney has given Star Wars a new lease on life. It will be interesting to see where Universal and Disney take their franchises in the next 10 to 20 years. Does Harry Potter have legs? I know they've announced a new companion series (Fantastic Beasts), but what's after that? Star Wars has a well developed story line to draw from. Is J.K. Rowling pushing the Harry Potter universe?

I guess the point is that like Mickey Mouse, Star Wars has, to a fairly good extent, become ingrained in our society. Will anyone be referencing Quidditch or Hogwarts 20 years from now?

Wells
08-17-2015, 01:54 PM
I, for one, certainly welcome any new attractions being added to Walt Disney World....but....Why does it take so long for the Disney organization to implement anything but overlay's or meet and greets?! CNBC reported today that construction on the Star Wars attractions will begin in late 2017!
We are not going to see any of this until 2020, come on Disney, I'm not getting any younger......

joanna71985
08-17-2015, 03:49 PM

I don't know...I love it the way it is (I think the current show is really cute)

PirateLover
08-17-2015, 04:21 PM
On the whole I am pretty excited for this; that being said I was also hoping for an Indy ride and maybe a little bit more "there" there, but two new rides and the Mos Eisley Cantina and a richly themed land make me pretty darn happy. And at first I was disappointed that both coasts were getting it, but I can see the point about alleviating the crowds. I think it will be a huge draw. Now start building already!

I don't know...I love it the way it is (I think the current show is really cute)

I'm with you. Anyone who has been on these boards for a length of time will know I'm an unabashed Muppet lover, and I do have a sentimental attachment to this attraction as along side the tv Special Muppets in Walt Disney World, it was the last thing Jim Henson worked on, but even taking a step back I don't really see it being any more outdated than some of the 3D other shows. The pre-show in particular still cracks me up every time. Waldo has gotten a little old but there is so much of that movie that is not only classic Muppets, but classic Disney World to me(Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic). I hope they re-home it if it has to move from it's current location

Sylvia
08-17-2015, 05:36 PM
I'm with you. Anyone who has been on these boards for a length of time will know I'm an unabashed Muppet lover, and I do have a sentimental attachment to this attraction as along side the tv Special Muppets in Walt Disney World, it was the last thing Jim Henson worked on, but even taking a step back I don't really see it being any more outdated than some of the 3D other shows. The pre-show in particular still cracks me up every time. Waldo has gotten a little old but there is so much of that movie that is not only classic Muppets, but classic Disney World to me(Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic). I hope they re-home it if it has to move from it's current location

I totally agree with you. I'm another long-time fan of all things Muppets, including TV shows, movies, music, and especially, Muppet Vision 3D, for many reasons that I prefer not to go into here. Of all of my many favorite attractions that are already closed or about to be closed, closure of this attraction would be the saddest one of all. I hope cooler heads prevail and that the Muppets will live on in a nice new home in WDW.

I'm planning to see this show a number of times during my upcoming trip.

DizneyFreak2002
08-17-2015, 07:22 PM
Disney has given Star Wars a new lease on life. It will be interesting to see where Universal and Disney take their franchises in the next 10 to 20 years. Does Harry Potter have legs? I know they've announced a new companion series (Fantastic Beasts), but what's after that? Star Wars has a well developed story line to draw from. Is J.K. Rowling pushing the Harry Potter universe?
Does Harry Potter have legs? Yes... What's after that? More Potter... I'm sure JK isn't done with the series... She has said, several times in the past, she is very interested in how the children of Harry, Ron, Hermoine, Ginny, and Draco all turn out...

She also recently wrote a play about Harry Potter before Hogwarts... not sure if the play has opened yet on London or not... I'm not into plays, so I haven't been following...

I guess the point is that like Mickey Mouse, Star Wars has, to a fairly good extent, become ingrained in our society. Will anyone be referencing Quidditch or Hogwarts 20 years from now?Yes, people will be referencing Quidditch and Hogwarts 20 years from know... The people who grew up on harry Potter are having their own children and are passing the books down to their children, taking them to Universal to visit Hogwarts, Hogmeade, and Diagon Alley... Those kids will bring their kids, and they will bring their kids...

And let's not forget, while the franchise IP helps, as long as the rides are awesome and the lands are excellent, people will come... Think 99% of the people who ride Splash Mountain have ever heard of Song of the South? Doubtful... But that ride pulls huge lines cause it is one heck of a great attraction...

The question you should be asking is: will anyone remember Avatar 20 years from now? I venture to say nope cause no one remembers is now, and it's only been what, 6 years since the movie came out?

BrerGnat
08-18-2015, 01:26 PM
I think one unique aspect of Harry Potter that Star Wars lacks, as far as theme parks go, is the amount of successful merchandise that can be created that is authentic to the "world". Now, Star Wars has, obviously, been a merchandise cash cow over the decades. But if these Star Wars lands are to be authentic and meant to " put you in the SW universe", I wonder what kind of merchandise the shops could realistically offer? The beauty of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are that the shops existed in the books, and they sell the same things the characters bought in the books. It was easy to recreate that. It won't make much sense for the shops in Star Wars land to sell action figures, t shirts, wookie mugs, etc. That is going to present a challenge. I hope SW land is more attraction/experience centric rather than full of shops.

acetate
08-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Would have been nice if there were some new things added that featured Disney characters. Also... What happened to adding the Red Car Trolley or an Indy ride? No go huh?

DizneyFreak2002
08-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Would have been nice if there were some new things added that featured Disney characters. Also... What happened to adding the Red Car Trolley or an Indy ride? No go huh?
The Indy ride was never a go...

acetate
08-18-2015, 09:43 PM
That's a shame. I thought there was talk years ago about building an Indy ride like the one in Disneyland. Maybe I dreamed it! Still sad to think of all the theming that will have to go. Echo Lake, my favorite restaurant in the park, The Prime Time cafe, Muppets, on and on. All for Star Wars eh? Oh well. Still a half day park then.

TheVBs
08-21-2015, 12:31 PM
We're really excited to see this come to life! :mickey: I do hope there aren't only simulator rides. We can't do those, we all get motion sickness. And, it would be great to see this all come to life sooner rather than later.

goofyskier
08-21-2015, 03:12 PM
These announcements while encouraging lack any real substance for me. Its more of a "hey we are going to do something but we don't have details yet". Not to seem like I am taking a sides here but Universal announces something and puts a date to it and seems to hit that date. I still do not know when Avatar Land will open and what Avatar Land will be...and now this.

Please Stand By I guess....

DizneyFreak2002
08-21-2015, 06:13 PM
These announcements while encouraging lack any real substance for me. Its more of a "hey we are going to do something but we don't have details yet". Not to seem like I am taking a sides here but Universal announces something and puts a date to it and seems to hit that date. I still do not know when Avatar Land will open and what Avatar Land will be...and now this.

Please Stand By I guess....

goofyskier
08-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Great. So it took three or four years. So...can't wait till 2020 when we see the fruits of this great announcement.

Maybe I'm just old and cynical :)

DizneyFreak2002
08-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Great. So it took three or four years. So...can't wait till 2020 when we see the fruits of this great announcement.

Maybe I'm just old and cynical :)
Well, 7 from announcement... LOL but 3 and a half from ground breaking...

baldburke
08-22-2015, 10:35 PM
I'm not seeming to remember now....

How long was it from the initial "New Fantasyland" announcement until it was deemed complete? I'm assuming that's when 7DMT opened?

Melanie
08-22-2015, 11:05 PM
I'm not seeming to remember now....

How long was it from the initial "New Fantasyland" announcement until it was deemed complete? I'm assuming that's when 7DMT opened?

New Fantasyland was announced in September, 2009. 7DMT opened in May, 2014.

Too long, IMHO. Way too long.

WDWRox
08-24-2015, 03:25 PM
I'm about as enthused as Star Wars land as I am for the new Toy Story Land, which is.....slightly. I guess I just don't see getting excited over these new lands coming about and...........only getting 2 new attractions in them. Just 2, that's all we get? And the Star Wars Launch Bay doesn't sound like anything to be too thrilled about, and I love Star Wars. It seems like a waste of the space to only put so few new things in there. I don't doubt the area will be beautifully themed and decorated, but come on, give us 3-4 new things at least (in each new land).

JSparrow
08-27-2015, 08:56 AM
It's sad that I'm starting to plan a vacation to WDW for 2018, which seems so far away, yet neither of these lands will be ready by then... Really does feel like all Disney did was let us know the rumors are true, but at this point we only have a few details and no dates. I'm happy it's coming, but Disney sure does frustrate me with the lack of info and lengthy construction process. Oh by the way, I still love Disney.

Park Hopper
08-27-2015, 09:44 AM
I want to be really excited about all of the things coming, but it is hard to, given how long things take at Disney World. I am guessing that my daughter, who is now in middle school, will be in college by the time these things are completed, and I am not in any hurry for that to happen.

I am starting to get excited for Pandora, which has seemed to take forever, as that will be open in the near future. I am not a huge Avatar fan, but it will be new and sounds great.

I just do not understand why it takes Disney so long - it seems places like Universal are much faster. 1-2 years I can certainly understand, but 5 or more? How long did it take them to build Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom? Is it a financial thing where they need to stretch the building cost out? It certainly cannot be a physical building thing, with the manpower they can bring and favorable weather they have, there is no reason for construction like that to take more than 3 years.

Sorry for the rant...

Melanie
08-27-2015, 11:08 AM
I want to be really excited about all of the things coming, but it is hard to, given how long things take at Disney World. I am guessing that my daughter, who is now in middle school, will be in college by the time these things are completed, and I am not in any hurry for that to happen.

I am starting to get excited for Pandora, which has seemed to take forever, as that will be open in the near future. I am not a huge Avatar fan, but it will be new and sounds great.

I just do not understand why it takes Disney so long - it seems places like Universal are much faster. 1-2 years I can certainly understand, but 5 or more? How long did it take them to build Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom? Is it a financial thing where they need to stretch the building cost out? It certainly cannot be a physical building thing, with the manpower they can bring and favorable weather they have, there is no reason for construction like that to take more than 3 years.

Sorry for the rant...

Not a rant at all. Sounds like our last podcast.....

Jeany031
09-17-2015, 12:43 PM
I can't wait to see the Star Wars land to Disney World!

WiltonJohn
09-18-2015, 04:41 PM
1-2 years I can certainly understand, but 5 or more? How long did it take them to build Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom? Is it a financial thing where they need to stretch the building cost out? It certainly cannot be a physical building thing, with the manpower they can bring and favorable weather they have, there is no reason for construction like that to take more than 3 years.

Maybe it is so that there is time to get new movies written and into production as well as merchandise supplies designed and ready to produce so that they can time everything so that it maximizes profits?????

It is a business after all.

best,

.................john

BrerGnat
09-18-2015, 06:29 PM

Sorry for the rant...

Well Universal is faster but not by much. They simply announce new things AFTER they have begun construction, and the majority of their attractions are simply huge show buildings that have screens in them. Harry Potter Hogsmeade took 3 years to complete. Diagon Alley was much faster but still took almost 2 years.

The entire DCA refurbishment took 5 years and that was a huge project. New Fantasyland took WAY too long, but stuff like the Frozen ride will only take around 12-18 months.

They will be starting construction next year for Star Wars land. I bet it will be done within 3 years.

baldburke
09-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Stuff like the Frozen ride will only take around 12-18 months.

Any word on a soft opening for Frozen/Norway yet?

They will be starting construction next year for Star Wars land. I bet it will be done within 3 years.

I'm sure they'll want to capitalize on the Star Wars momentum ASAP!

BrerGnat
09-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Any word on a soft opening for Frozen/Norway yet?

The Frozen ride is supposed to open officially in May 2016. No word yet on soft opening dates.

texas211
09-19-2015, 09:51 PM
Well, 7 from announcement... LOL but 3 and a half from ground breaking...

By then FP++v3 will have to book your reservations by 2016 for the 2023 trip.